Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Oddball Frank Thomas Help

Guys - I was on Dave and Adams doing some general browsing when I saw something familiar, that I previously thought was likely junk, and listed for $75 stating it contained a Frank Thomas RC. I had no idea. Since it says 1987, I had always assumed it was some overproduced junk set, and I had no idea it contained Frank. I quickly jumped into the card room and found it. Then to eBay to see prices. Whoa. I do have the blue version, which looks like the better of the two colors.

As you can see...it's wrapped TIGHT.

Is anyone familiar with these?
Does the centering of the top card reflect the centering on the rest?
What's the quality of these cards?

As far as I know, I paid nothing for it, and could use a cheap thrill...so I'm thinking about ripping to see the quality of the Frank.

However, knowing it's likely no better than a 9 since I'll assume a corner hit, if they have a tendency to poor centering as well, I may just leave it in its current state.

Would appreciate any knowledge.

Thanks
Jim
52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

Comments

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Jim ... a TEN would be AMAZING!!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I saw that Doug. The tight wrap just has me believing the 9 is best possible. Thinking it may be Christmas Day rip, but I'm getting a bulk ready now, so if I'm short, I may have to rip by Turkey Day. Decisions...
  • Options
    1987 BDK blue sets sell for at least 100 so I'd probably sell it sealed. Odds that you'll pull a 10 from that are slim as I believe there are less than 10 gems
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    pootshwanpootshwan Posts: 85 ✭✭
    double post...
    Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    pootshwanpootshwan Posts: 85 ✭✭
    I know this is an old(er) thread but I thought I'd provide my insight.

I've opened several sealed sets and each one had corner issues as you assumed they would.

If you're looking for the most money, your best bet is to sell it sealed.

Steve
    Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I ripped it. Thomas was one of nicer cards in pack. It pulled a 9.