Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tonite's Dinner (A Cup of Stanley and a Killer Brew)

I hope this isn't the minutiae referred to, cuz these were good scores for me and I'm happy to share.

I've had my eye on a Stanley card for all of 24 hours now thanks to Casey, and the desire burned deep so I pulled the trigger on this one.

Killer on the other hand has been a tougher road. I've had a hard time finding a nicely centered example. I bought one about a little over a month ago, but it never shipped. Seller lost it and refunded me. I went big on a nicely centered 6 last week and got snuffed. Happy to have finally landed this one.
52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.

Comments

• Options
    Jim, those are both awesome cards, especially the Killer. And I'm glad you bought a vintage card of the cup, and not one from the late 80s.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope this isn't the minutiae referred to >>

Not at all.

Beautiful Cup. That's a really nice card, great eye-appeal!

After the holiday season I'm going to begin looking for a Cup card too.

Congrats!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Congrats Jim ... nice additions. Enjoy them.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Nice! Beautiful card, Jim! Now you're making ME thinking I might have to pick up another. That 69 looks like it glows!
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Jim, those are both awesome cards, especially the Killer. And I'm glad you bought a vintage card of the cup, and not one from the late 80s. >>

I do love that 1969 Stanley Cup; but what, are you saying you'd be against having the 1990 Pro Set Holo?

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim,

Nice adds. I especially like the Killebrew RC. I have been looking for a nice one too. Finding one with good centering and print is tough. Congrats on getting a sharp 5.
    Steve
  • Options
    Now, get one of these!

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Wow. That's cool. Look how small it was. An amazing trophy.

I hadn't seen the ProSet card before. I've got some of those boxes around. That could be a fun fishing trip.

Thanks for the comments guys.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    clarke442clarke442 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And I'm glad you bought a vintage card of the cup, and not one from the late 80s. >>

I do love that 1969 Stanley Cup; but what, are you saying you'd be against having the 1990 Pro Set Holo?

image >>

Plenty of 80's and 90's crap to go around! (LOL)

• Options

I agree there were plenty of junk cards in the 90's w/ the cup on them, for sure.

If you have a 1990 Pro Set hologram cup in your junk pile though, I'd be thrilled to have it sent my way image

• Options

<< <i>Now, get one of these!

image >>

I don't have the sales records of the high grade versions of that awesome 1924 Stanley Cup card, but here's a bit from an article on Beckett's site from May 20, 2013 (so, info no longer necessarily the most current available):

1924 C144 Champ’s Cigarette Stanley Cup

The Stanley Cup wasn’t always a 34-inch high trophy. One of the first renditions of it was much smaller. It was donated Lord Stanley in 1893 to the Amateur Hockey Association of Canada. Most experts believe the 1924 C144 Champ’s Cigarette was the first time ithe Stanley Cup appeared on a trading card.

In addition, The Stanley Cup card is one of the toughest cards to pull in the 1924 Champ’s Cigarette set. PSA has graded 921 of these cards with none ever coming back a 10. This card has a high Beckett book value of $600. In 2010, a PSA 3 sold for $1,553.50 and a PSA 4 sold for $3,585 through Heritage Auctions. In 2012, a PSA 3 sold for $847 through Classic Auctions.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Now, get one of these!

image >>

I don't have the sales records of the high grade versions of that awesome 1924 Stanley Cup card, but here's a bit from an article on Beckett's site from May 20, 2013 (so, info no longer necessarily the most current available):

1924 C144 Champ’s Cigarette Stanley Cup

The Stanley Cup wasn’t always a 34-inch high trophy. One of the first renditions of it was much smaller. It was donated Lord Stanley in 1893 to the Amateur Hockey Association of Canada. Most experts believe the 1924 C144 Champ’s Cigarette was the first time ithe Stanley Cup appeared on a trading card.

In addition, The Stanley Cup card is one of the toughest cards to pull in the 1924 Champ’s Cigarette set. PSA has graded 921 of these cards with none ever coming back a 10. This card has a high Beckett book value of $600. In 2010, a PSA 3 sold for $1,553.50 and a PSA 4 sold for $3,585 through Heritage Auctions. In 2012, a PSA 3 sold for $847 through Classic Auctions. >>

Wow, I had no idea on the market for this card....I can't imagine what a nice high grade would go for. Thanks for sharing.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable