Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Should I Grade These 1972 Topps High Numbers?

I am considering renewing my collectors universe membership and i have these 1972 high numbers in really nice condition. I may send them in for my free grades. What do you think? Are they worth sending in? Opinions are appreciated!

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

Comments

• Options
    I would get them all graded but I don't think I would spend my voucher on them personally
    It never leaves you...
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I would include them in a bulk special - not a voucher
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with Raul. You have some very nice cards that need to be in holders. Good luck
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any reason why you would not use a voucher on them? Chance at better grades on a bulk special?
    What I Collect:

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Any reason why you would not use a voucher on them? Chance at better grades on a bulk special? >>

Because with the renewal voucher, you can send in cards of a much higher value ($500.00????) as opposed to the monthly specials ($100.00?). The renewal voucher itself is worth a lot more than $6.00 per card.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Any reason why you would not use a voucher on them? Chance at better grades on a bulk special? >>

Because with the renewal voucher, you can send in cards of a much higher value ($500.00????) as opposed to the monthly specials ($100.00?). The renewal voucher itself is worth a lot more than $6.00 per card. >>

Oh ok. I was not aware of that. Makes sense. If anyone is doing a bulk special and has room, please let me know if i can piggyback 15 cards (i also have 2 71 topps cards to send in).
    What I Collect:

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with what the others have said. If you don't have anything else to use Vouchers on, I'd suggest prioritizing the Koosman IA, the Murcer IA, Bonds IA and Michael IA. Those are the ones with both decent value and a shot at a 9. The Gallagher IA, Johnson, Koosman, Michael and Morgan are 8s IMO due to centering. The Baker is on the bubble. It has a tilt but may be within 9 guidelines. Sorry too lazy to break out the digital ruler.

Nice cards and good luck if/when you submit them.
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Baker's a tough one I think
    Nikklos
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Those are awesome. The In Action are a b!*ch to find centered.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would include them in a bulk special - not a voucher >>

+1 for the reasons mentioned above. Great looking group of cards.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had an extra Killebrew IA from the same year, it graded a 9. I already had a 9 in my set so I kept the better of the two and auctioned of the other on ebay.

Was very happy to see it go for $200.00! Since then I have been told that high grade IA's are worth good money. Who knew? When I was collecting they were worth about $5.00!!!!!

Good luck!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    If you're looking for 8s send them in, but 4 or 5 will get an OC qualifier (Johnson, Koosman, Michael, maybe Katt, and maybe Morgan traded).

If you're looking for 8.5 and up, send in Murcer in action, Michael in action, and Russell.
    All your money won't another minute buy.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you're looking for 8s send them in, but 4 or 5 will get an OC qualifier (Johnson, Koosman, Michael, maybe Katt, and maybe Morgan traded).

If you're looking for 8.5 and up, send in Murcer in action, Michael in action, and Russell. >>

Agreed, too much tilt on some.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Some do have a tilt. However, I don't see any that would garner a straight OC based on the front appearance.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>Some do have a tilt. However, I don't see any that would garner a straight OC based on the front appearance. >>

Having sent in plenty of 1972s, trust me that the Johnson, Koosman, and Michael are centered too low.
    All your money won't another minute buy.