Home Precious Metals
Options

Whats a fair amount that you will pay over spot?

ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
So what do you think a fair % would be to pay for a 1 oz bullion piece lets use 1 oz Gold American Eagle

5% seem good to you at a show... Are would you not be willing to pay that much at a show?

For example Gold Spot right now lets just say $1,200 (rounding up for even number sake)

Would paying $1,260 be something you would pay and be interested in or Would you be searching for a lower number from a dealer

(edited to add example)
Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Compare to Apmex or Provident Metals and go from there.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you mean gold or silver?
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Define 1oz bullion piece... And then the type, and if applicable is it govt issue, then if applicable is it assayed...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My bullion purchases (normally American Eagles) only occur for less than the current, fair amount. Deals can be found, just not all the time.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Practically speaking, bullion is like motor vehicles in that it's only worth what the makers are willing to sell it for. A person buying 3 gold eagles can't effectively hedge such a puny quantity in the way that the big players do so he is pretty much relegated to selling to others like himself if he wants to recover the premium. His sale price will be reflected by his cost.
  • Options

<< <i>So what do you think a fair % would be to pay for a 1 oz bullion piece lets use 1 oz Gold American Eagle

5% seem good to you at a show... Are would you not be willing to pay that much at a show... >>

That would be about $60 over at current spot. Hardly the worst deal out there but not bad if you want a cash deal that's essentially invisible.
  • Options
    Was just at a show Saturday, 1250, 640, 330, 134...
    Edit to add gld1203....
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    my prediction if show is this year its an 80%+ chance u will have no buyers...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Define 1oz bullion piece... And then the type, and if applicable is it govt issue, then if applicable is it assayed...

but but (burp, fart) I thought bullion was bullion and should always be purchased for <melt. At least that's what the concencus has been here image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Define 1oz bullion piece... And then the type, and if applicable is it govt issue, then if applicable is it assayed...

but but (burp, fart) I thought bullion was bullion and should always be purchased for <melt. At least that's what the concencus has been here image >>

10% difference in the gold content of a one ounce gold Saint and a one ounce AGE.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So what do you think a fair % would be to pay for a 1 oz bullion piece lets use 1 oz Gold American Eagle

5% seem good to you at a show... Are would you not be willing to pay that much at a show?

For example Gold Spot right now lets just say $1,200 (rounding up for even number sake)

Would paying $1,260 be something you would pay and be interested in or Would you be searching for a lower number from a dealer

(edited to add example) >>

It would depend on what your buy price is for the same product ??

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭

<< <i>Compare to Apmex or Provident Metals and go from there. >>

I go here to see the *real* market spread over spot:

Texas PM

They are BIG, They only sell what they have in stock and the website (for me) doubles as a good gauge for overall demand.

Right now a Maple is 3.5% over (Gold) Spot = $1198.03 - TPM = $1,240.00

$1198.03 - APMEX = $1244.49
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Compare to Apmex or Provident Metals and go from there. >>

I go here to see the *real* market spread over spot:

Texas PM

They are BIG, They only sell what they have in stock and the website (for me) doubles as a good gauge for overall demand.

Right now a Maple is 3.5% over (Gold) Spot = $1198.03 - TPM = $1,240.00

$1198.03 - APMEX = $1244.49 >>

With gold at $1198 their sell price for 5 1 ounce AGEs is $1253 for +$55. 5% over at a show would be $1198 x 1.05 or $1258 each. A $5 surcharge for CASH at a show is more than fair IMO. I note that TPM does not post buy prices or shipping charges.
  • Options
    Demand is relative, just like real estate, what's happening at Texas metals is meaningless pretty much, and the "real" prices are meaningless with as one mentioned without a buy price, if they aren't making a market then one should pass most of the time, being in Texas even worsen for out of staters...
    keceph `anah
  • Options

<< <i>Demand is relative, just like real estate, what's happening at Texas metals is meaningless pretty much, and the "real" prices are meaningless with as one mentioned without a buy price, if they aren't making a market then one should pass most of the time, being in Texas even worsen for out of staters... >>

They indicate on their site that they buy gold, but don't post a buy price. Posting a price doesn't obligate them to purchase anything however. Like any good business they won't buy common inventory that they don't need. Most places will give you a locked in price if they want it, no? Then it's up to you to deliver.