Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What year topps is Best to rip 1976-1980?

After seeing all these rips Ive got the itch.... So I was gonna buy a pack or 2 or 3. Honestly I will prob grade the good cards and sell them as I really don't collect those year cards. I just wanna rip them for the fun and excitement of possibly pulling something good! My question is though what year would I have the better chance of getting a return on my money?(sure I know there's no gaurentee and all) I would buy them from bbce so I know they are good sealed packs. I was thinking between 76-80 topps.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

1979 Topps Hockey image

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    If you're talking baseball I vote for 78 as it has the best rookie class, IMO. You've got HOF headliners in Murray and Molitor. If you're a Detroit fan you've also got rookies of Trammell, Whitaker and Morris. You've also got Dawson in his first solo card and a second year Dale Murphy. I'm probably forgetting somebody too.
    Steve
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>1979 Topps Hockey image >>

I miss the good 'ol days when these were readily available at BBCE and we did regular group-rips image

They were about $65/pack then. Wonder what they'd sell for now if BBCE picked-up as much as they had in stock before?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Honestly I will prob grade the good cards >>

you're already on a cloud

<< <i>and sell them >>

cloud 2

<< <i>as I really don't collect those year cards. >>

then why buy them?

<< <i>I just wanna rip them for the fun and excitement of possibly pulling something good! >>

there's a cheaper way than 50 to 100 dollar packs.

<< <i>My question is though what year would I have the better chance of getting a return on my money? >>

having such an expectation for any rip is rather unhealthy.

<< <i>(sure I know there's no gaurentee and all) I would buy them from bbce so I know they are good sealed packs. I was thinking between 76-80 topps.
    Thanks in advance for any advice. >>

guarantee. that's how it's spelled.

here's the advice you seek: buy a pack, any pack, and bust it. pretend you're living in a world where there are no dollar signs, only smiles. your chances of pulling something valuable are limited, so consider it a gift if you do. there is a much greater risk of getting miscuts, off-centers, gum cards, ding cards, Joe Shlobotniks, or something worse.

but, since you asked, i whole-heartedly endorse 1977 Topps. image
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    You’ll have a lot more fun ripping an entire box of 81-83 Topps or 84 Donruss for the same price as 3 1977 Topps packs. And you’ll have the same near-zero chance of getting something that will make some money back.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    You’ll have a lot more fun ripping an entire box of 81-83 Topps or 84 Donruss for the same price as 3 1977 Topps packs. And you’ll have the same near-zero chance of getting something that will make some money back.

You hit the nail right on the head!
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a nice 77 topps set for $200 and you'll find 10 cards worth grading, and sell the residual for $75 (or a few bucks more or a few bucks less, depending on what 10 cards you pull for grading).

Same fun as a rip, much cheaper, and little to no chance of a complete wipeout (if you shop wisely).

I love to rip, but haven't ripped much in the last year or two -- just too tough to justify.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

<< <i>I love to rip, but haven't ripped much in the last year or two -- just too tough to justify. >>

Amen. The only boxes I rip now are newly released Hobby and Jumbo boxes. Good returns so far on that. But your sentence above has turned me into an unopened collector when it comes to all of that older stuff.