Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best catch ever in a football game????

For those of you that didn't get a chance to see what Odell Beckham Jr. did tonight get ready to see it over and over and over again.

I know people tend to exaggerate things such as this, but I've probably seen it 5 or 6 times already and I have to agree. I've seen a lot of them and I think it was the best I've seen.
I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's definitely up there...can't think of one offhand more spectacular.

This guy is going to be a beast..he is much better than Cruz, imo, and could develop into one of the game's best wideouts before long.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best catch I've ever seen.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    I can't think of another one that was better. It looked impossible.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Unreal ... like he had an oversized first baseman's glove on and was catching a baseball!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    +1
  • Options
    All your money won't another minute buy.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    This game is full of sick catches out of Beckham. And if you saw the pre-game reel, it shows that practice makes perfect.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

<< <i>This game is full of sick catches out of Beckham. And if you saw the pre-game reel, it shows that practice makes perfect. >>

I did see it. I thought it was a strange coincidence that they had just finished showing his pregame one-handers a few minutes before the one-handed T.D. There are some really good RC wide receivers this year, but I think this kid is starting to show he's in a class all by himself.
  • Options
    WOW
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    This guy probably should have taken a picture.
  • Options

<< <i>The immaculate reception was pretty good. >>

Dramatic, yes, but total luck vs this one which was total talent and skill.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    I didn't see it live but did on the replay--awesome. I hope that is on a card next year!
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    Beckham's catch was just insane. The NFL is loaded with talented young receivers that have made a big splash on the league: Beckham, TY Hilton, Antonio Brown, and soon-to-be Donte Moncrief.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am watching the game.

Great catch! NY is playing their ass off!
    Mike
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Best catch that I have ever seen........................
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike
  • Options
    I hate hyperbole more than most people, but I agree this is the best I've ever seen. Gronk made a one handed catch last week that was pretty spectacular, but this was significantly better than that. Unbelievable!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    well props really to Eli for hitting him in the palm on the fly from midfield. image
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember watching this one live a few years ago

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Great catch. I'll take the win instead.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    As a photographer, seeing these guys standing there like a spectator is inexcusable. It really is. I've missed plays, too many to count but this was a clean rollout by Manning and these guys need to be clicking and rolling. We are very lucky to be on the field, and paid. Head scratcher why guys are looking off to the side to see the play. Heck, I was even a ballboy during the Seahawks/Cardinals game today. LOL. Like everyone has said, awesome catch. Doug

<< <i>This guy probably should have taken a picture.
    image >>

• Options
    Doug, are you measuring for a first down there?? LOL!!

• Options

<< <i>Doug, are you measuring for a first down there?? LOL!! >>

Was taking a knee to stop to clock. It was hard to pick it up with one hand, you know what they say about small hands. LOL
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only one I can think of that's close would be Charles Woodson against Michigan State. Difference there is his was an interception.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    best I have ever seen in my 40 plus years of watching fb.

did he have fred biletnikoff stick em on his hand lol

like grote said...big diff between lucky bounces and a falling backward one hand only catch acros his body...while getting interered with
    b
    Collingsworth was a receiver and has been around a long time..said the best he ever saw also

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    I missed that one live, was already in bed by then. Man, what a crazy catch! David Tyree's catch in the Super Bowl was also great, especially considering the circumstances and the improbability of catching it against the top of his helmet. Sorry if I dredge up a bad memory, Dan!
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Yep.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    This is my favorite. No gloves, no stick 'em. Just the best hands in the NFL for a few years.

John Jefferson

Unfortunately the video only shows Dan Fouts on the replay so the first 15 seconds show JJ make the grab, but that is it.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Giants fan, so it would be easy for to say it's the best catch I've ever seen. David Tyree's catch in the Super Bowl is up there too. I saw Cris Carter make some absolutely sick catches back in the day. I might want to check out one of his highlight reels before I declare Beckham's catch the best I've seen. I'd say at worst it'll be top 3.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a photographer, seeing these guys standing there like a spectator is inexcusable. It really is. I've missed plays, too many to count but this was a clean rollout by Manning and these guys need to be clicking and rolling. We are very lucky to be on the field, and paid. Head scratcher why guys are looking off to the side to see the play. Heck, I was even a ballboy during the Seahawks/Cardinals game today. LOL. Like everyone has said, awesome catch. Doug
    >>

We were wrong, because he was taking pictures, and he did get a decent one despite being too close. Here's an article he wrote about it.
    link
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Nice post mlbfan. How cool must it have been to have been standing a couple of arms lengths away from the catch.
    Something tells me the photographer will be ok.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a Giants fan, so it would be easy for to say it's the best catch I've ever seen. David Tyree's catch in the Super Bowl is up there too. >>

I was thinking the same thing. Not to take anything away on this one at all since it is undeniably incredible, but there are two NY Giants catches that are better in my little opinion: David Tyree's and the one Willie Mays made over his shoulder.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm a Giants fan, so it would be easy for to say it's the best catch I've ever seen. David Tyree's catch in the Super Bowl is up there too. >>

I was thinking the same thing. Not to take anything away on this one at all since it is undeniably incredible, but there are two NY Giants catches that are better in my little opinion: David Tyree's and the one Willie Mays made over his shoulder. >>

Tyree's catch was more luck than skill. Same with Immaculate Reception.

• Options

<< <i>

I was thinking the same thing. Not to take anything away on this one at all since it is undeniably incredible, but there are two NY Giants catches that are better in my little opinion: David Tyree's and the one Willie Mays made over his shoulder. >>

Tyree's catch was more luck than skill. Same with Immaculate Reception.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Tyree's catch was more luck than skill. Same with Immaculate Reception. >>

I totally agree. And the Mays catch was incredible, but I don't think that's even the greatest baseball catch I've ever seen.
  • Options
    I understand the still guys going from long lens to short since the play was many yards away but being a video guy I can't understand the dude looking off to the side and watch history go by. LOL

• Options
    wow. it's nice to know the knee jerk analysis of the play itself has succumbed to the overwhelming insistence that EVERYONE else near the play deserves a teardown.

so, just to throw my dos pesos in, shame on the chick in the orange jacket. field level, corner end zone, hands in pockets, not even watching the play. why wasn't she in a hospitality suite sipping Cabernet and munching on brie with unsalted crackers?

also, anyone who has straddling the john at that precise moment, turn in your seasoned seat pass until next year.
  • Options
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This guy probably should have taken a picture.
    image >>

He did get it, but like he said, he was too close.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/11/how_i_got_the_best_photo_of_odell_beckham_jrs_amazing_touchdown_catch.html
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm a Giants fan, so it would be easy for to say it's the best catch I've ever seen. David Tyree's catch in the Super Bowl is up there too. I saw Cris Carter make some absolutely sick catches back in the day. I might want to check out one of his highlight reels before I declare Beckham's catch the best I've seen. I'd say at worst it'll be top 3. >>

I'm a Giants fan too, but after seeing the careers of Nicks, JPP and Wilson fizzle, I'm keeping my fingers crossed he stays healthy....
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I was actually at the game. I didn't realize there was so much talk about the catch until I got home and looked at Twitter and saw the replay 6,483 times on Sports Center. So bummed that the Giants lost.

Odell actually has a history of crazy one handed catches in college. He said his secret is extra large hands. His glove size is 3XL
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"