Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

JEFFERSONS....MS65FS vs MS67

In your opinion(s).......would you rather have a nice MS65 full step or a nice MS67 Jefferson with all being equal, ie. both coins having nice eye appeal etc?

Keep having fun..........
NICKEL TRIUMPH...

Comments

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that the full steps is the way to go. howeve some of the niclels in full steps are quite rare. I pick up full steps when I can not looking real hard now, but I believe full steps will bring more money in the futher.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    If I had the opportunity to trade out a non-full step coin for a full step coin two points lower I would do so without hesitation, assuming a reasonable price. All the non full step coins in my collection are just place holders looking for the right opportunity.
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the date and relative rarity. I am a big fan of nice strikes
    and if it's otherwise a nice full strike, I'd lean to the 67.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I prefer better strikes/cleaner surfaces so I would prefer the 67, but maybe the question to ask is why is the 65 a 65 and can you live with those imperfections.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i've settled on a grade of 66FS whenever i buy jefferson's. it's really the highest grade i can reasonably expect to find coins, and that's knowing some won't be found and others will be out of my price range. the jefferson is really a poorly designed coin cause there's just too much raised central detail, and the wording on the reverse center doesn't help.

a nice full step coin really means every detail is sharp, not just the steps. and the 66 grade means a relatively mark free coin. a good combination. a 67 without full steps can look flat on the reverse and most full step coins graded 65 or less will have nicked up obverse portraits. both of those alternatives aren't appealing to me.

so if i had no choice but the two offered, i'd take the full step coin and keep searching till i could bump it up a notch.image
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I still don't understand how you can have an MS67 Jeff WITHOUT full steps. By definition an MS67 WILL be fully struck and a coin that does not have full steps is not fully struck in my book. My 5 cents.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    most full step coins aren't "fully struck" coins either. that bottom step and some of the detail in the monticello doesn't always fill out. five steps will get the designation. a super clean, unmarked coin will get the grade. a combination of the two will get more money than i can offer.image