Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Sun a Times Show aka Fanatics show in Chicago this past weekend

Just checking to see if anyone made it to the show formerly known as the Sun Times show this weekend and if you did how was the show and how did it compare from an inventory and price perspective to the National? Been to a ton of Nationals, but only 1-2 Sun Times shows - my last recollection of the show was that it is about 1/3-1/2 the size of the National and most of the major dealers and auction houses attend. Thank you in advance for the help.

Comments

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I live a half hour away and never miss a show at the Rosemont. This show was pretty small compared to the National. You see many of the same dealers but this one just missed the mark for me. Maybe it's just the time of the year, but these smaller shows are nowhere near the size of the National. Mile High left on Saturday because Sundays are pretty slow. I notice the summer shows do better than the winter shows. You didn't miss anything. I don't think I even remember seeing a single 52 Topps Mantle in 707 Sportscards area since they usually have a handful around.
  • Options
    jmaciujmaciu Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭
    I attended the show with a few other board members. It was a great show. There was a lot of the big dealers with nice inventory. The prices were on the high end in my opinion, but I accomplished my goal of filling some holes in my sets. I did not do any of the autograph sessions, as they were priced a little high for my taste also. I have not attended the National, so I can't compare.

To top the day off, we enjoyed some great stuffed crust pizza.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    one word..... EBAY

I live 35 minutes from there and anytime I go I waste $10 to park and $10 admission

I had a sub to drop off for PSA but would rather spend the extra money and mail it
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A buddy found me two sweet Mantles, a 54B and a 62. Just got them in hand yesterday. Shows and raw cards found at them have been awesome lately.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

<< <i>I live a half hour away and never miss a show at the Rosemont. This show was pretty small compared to the National. You see many of the same dealers but this one just missed the mark for me. Maybe it's just the time of the year, but these smaller shows are nowhere near the size of the National. Mile High left on Saturday because Sundays are pretty slow. I notice the summer shows do better than the winter shows. You didn't miss anything. I don't think I even remember seeing a single 52 Topps Mantle in 707 Sportscards area since they usually have a handful around. >>

Mile High left Saturday because Brian didn't want to miss the Bronco game today.

I've only lived in the area for a year but have gone to this show both last Nov and this past weekend.

I can't remember any dealer's names, but there's a guy there from Pennsylvania who sells a bunch of mid-grade PSA stuff. I found a decent Killebrew RC and Koufax RC and was able to get a solid price on them. Also, the guy who had the Mantle stolen at the National always has great stuff. I picked up some nice Ernie Banks PSA 8's from the 60's from him. He and his parents work the show and are really great people.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention, I picked up a Billy Sims autographed helmet (from the signing). Billy was pretty much my hero when I was a kid. As many signings as I've done over the years I can honestly say he was by far and away the nicest guy I've met. He was climbing over the table to get pictures take with folks who he signed for and asked each person their name, shook their hand, and made small talk with everyone. Class act.
  • Options
    Sean Bassik was there. He posted about it earlier, but then for some reason he changed the title of his thread to "." and took down the photo of the Aaron RC he picked up.
  • Options
    I heard through the grapevine that there were a ton of dealer tables that were empty. Obviously I wasn't there, so I can confirm. The same person said that it wasn't as good as the last show.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the updates and sounds like what I expected based on past experience. Had to miss it due to our company sales meetings out in Vegas all week, and the only cards there were not graded and had numbers and letters on themimage

I think the bigger shows are good for finding raw finds and seeing inventory in person from the larger dealers and auction houses. I have noticed the past couple of National shows that some dealers have prices that are fairly high, and some are normal and good to work with. Like one poster stated Ebay has changed the buying and selling dynamic dramatically the past several years. Collectors can move their collections or cards without having to sacrifice 20-30% in price to sell to a shop or dealer, and you can also find inventory without having to go to shows. The flip side is selling prices have increased due to Ebay which is great if you are a seller and bad if you need a low pop card or high end card for a bargain.
  • Options
    cubfan89cubfan89 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭
    They charged you $10 for parking? Man, they got me for $13!