Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Bar code scanner recommendation

I'm looking for a bar code scanner recommendation to scan PSA flips into my inventory. I have a couple large sets so I need to do 500-700 cards and figured there must be an easy way to do it. I have both a windows lap top or an iPad so could use either for the scanner.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies

Comments

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    I use a basic wasp. Can be picked up around $20 on eBay if patient...or under $50 if need it quickly.
  • Options
    There are a ton of apps that you can download for free that do this. I have several and found they all work about the same.
  • Options
    What does this do? Why do you need one?
  • Options
    rtimmerrtimmer Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I want to add my PSA graded cards easily into my inventory and registry sets.
    Follow me at LinkedIn & Instagram: @ryanscard
    Join the Rookie stars on top PSA registry today:
    1980-1989 Cello Packs - Rookies
  • Options
    Does it add the picture?
  • Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Does it add the picture? >>

It would not add the picture. It would just capture the serial numbers without any typing errors and would take one second per card. If you were just adding cards here and there no big deal but since OP is talking about 5-700 cards, it might be worth thinking about. Once you have all of the serial numbers captured you could put them in a spreadsheet and upload to PSAs website all at once.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options
    I was able to find a solution that is cheap/free. Download and install TightVNC (free). On your mobile, download/install SCANPET (free-ads or paid-noads). Link the app to your PC by inputting the IP address of your computer and the password you created in TightVNC. Set up the app to send a "New Line" after each scan. Open notepad, let 'er rip. Scans will be placed directly into notepad with each barcode on a separate line.
  • Options
    I did actually test this and it works, sometimes was a pain to get the barcode to read. Might be the app or just the user, lol.
  • Options
    Thanks
  • Options
    Ok, so I've come up with what I think is the best solution for this. TightVNC, WiFi Barcode Scanner (id-mobile), and Barcode Scanner (ZXing Team). This will allow you to easily scan cards from anywhere in your household WiFi range and the certs will just appear on your computer in whatever window you have the cursor in. You could even put them right into the blank for certs on the PSA site. If anyone wants to try this but lacks the technical expertise, PM me and I'll give you a hand. Don't forget to set up the phone app to send a new line after each scan or you'll just end up with one really long number.
  • Options
    Also, I forgot to mention the solution for the scanning issue. If you hold the phone back about 6 inches from the surface you have the card on and simply slide the cards underneath and hold until you hear the beep. I stacked 5, placed it under the cam and just took off the top card as I heard the beep. You could set the phone on something at ideal height freeing up your hands.
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭
    I've used this one for a couple years: Scanner
  • Options
    When you use a barcode scanner, what info pops onto your computer screen? Just the PSA serial number or does other info also pop up? (other items on flip - player name, card number, year, set, grade?)
  • Options
    DerekDDerekD Posts: 388 ✭✭

<< <i>When you use a barcode scanner, what info pops onto your computer screen? Just the PSA serial number or does other info also pop up? (other items on flip - player name, card number, year, set, grade?) >>

Just the PSA serial number. When you do the "Add Inventory" option, it'll put in the serial number and move to the next line. You can input them quickly on the site.
  • Options

<< <i>When you use a barcode scanner, what info pops onto your computer screen? Just the PSA serial number or does other info also pop up? (other items on flip - player name, card number, year, set, grade?) >>

In the method I described, it is solely the PSA cert and the return key that are passed on to your PC each time you scan a card - this is because the barcode does not contain any of the player/card info. In the WiFi barcode scan method, these characters are dumped into whatever your cursor is on. You could click on the add cert blank on PSAs website and scan your whole stack, click submit and all the card information is added to your inventory instantly. It's pretty slick, I plan to use it when I get my next stack back from PSA. I might even make a video just for fun...
  • Options
    A video would be good value. I am a visual learner. Santa might bring me scanner
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    I've used red laser app in the past., primarily just to ensure flips/cards were legit. I tried linking it to the psa site to enter cert #, however found that having someone calling out the cert was a lot more efficient.

correction. make that considerably more efficient!!!