Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Big 3 Childhood Heroes!

I thought this might be an interesting topic to throw out there. Do you remember the point in time when you decided who your favorite player was going to be for your 3 favorite sports? Here is what I remember.

My 3 favorite sports are baseball, basketball and football. I distinctly remember when I decided who my favorite football player was going to be. It was January 11, 1970 and I was watching Super Bowl IV on T.V. The epic (turnover) battle between the Colts and Cowboys. I remember rooting for the Cowboys early on in the game hoping they would win. As most fans remember the Colts won the game on a last second field goal to win 16-13. I specifically remember the end of the game as the announcers were building up the final moments of the winning field goal. As the ball went through the uprights I remember switching to the Colts as being my favorite team. Being 9 years old at the time I'm not exactly sure why I changed other than everyone wants to be associated with a winner. It was at that point on that the Colts were my favorite football team and Johnny Unitas became my childhood hero. It certainly was not the great game that Unitas had in the Super Bowl that made him my favorite player because his stats were not very good as was benched in the 2nd half. I remember thinking he had a great last name so that is why I chose him as my childhood football hero.

As far as basketball goes It was a game between Buck and Lakers (1970 was the year I think) and there were commercials being aired on T.V. of the upcoming game between Lew Alcindor and Wilt chamberlain. I remember being mesmerized by the hype of the game. It was at that point Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabbar) became my childhood basketball hero.

As far a baseball goes all I remember was that Johnny bench was my favorite player. I do not remember an exact moment when I decided but once I did I followed his career with a passion that was not matched to any other of my favorite players. I was a Cincinnati Reds fan and remember anxiously waiting to get the daily paper to check the box score to see how he did.

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Brown
    Jerry Lucas
    Ted Williams
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    Billy Sims
    Magic Johnson
    Lance Parrish
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Don Mattingly
    Dominique Wilkins (aside from MJ)
    Sterling Sharpe (aside from Payton)
    Steve Yzerman (collected him though I didnt watch much)
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lance Alworth
    Lance Parrish
    James Worthy
    Chris Chelios
  • Options

<< <i>Lance Alworth
    Lance Parrish
    James Worthy
    Chris Chelios >>

Not Robert Brazile or Scott Stevens?

My childhood heroes:
    Yaz
    Andre Tippett
    Reggie Lewis
    Ray Bourque
  • Options
    MrVintageMrVintage Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭
    Ozzie Smith
    Joe Montana
    Michael Jordan
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice writeup David - I remember the '70 season also.

I become a Raiders fan. George Blanda.

I never officially made any player a true favorite. The closest? I was a Brooklyn/Snider fan - but not with any verve like you guys.

I don't remember opening packs specifically or declaring a hero or anything.

Wish I had the memories you guys have.

Maybe I should make some up? image
    Mike
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    As far as sports personalities go, I had only ONE childhood hero:

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Rickey Henderson
    Chris Mullin
    Steve Young
    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options
    Pete Rose/Johnny Bench/Carlton Fisk
    Bobby Orr
    John Havlicek
    Larry Czonka

I lived in South Florida when I was a young 'un, hence the Czonka. One of my first sports memories was the Rose/Harrelson brawl, and my first glove was a Johnny Bench catcher's mitt. Once I moved north to New England, I discovered Orr and the Bruins (although I do recall watching the end of the 72 Stanley Cup from Florida), and the Celtics and my favorites localized.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pete Rose
    The Fridge (or any of the Bears participating in the Superbowl Shuffle)
    MJ
  • Options

<< <i>Billy Sims
    Magic Johnson
    Lance Parrish >>

Adding Pete Rose. I loved that guy.
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Al Kaline
    Gordie Howe
    Mel Farr
    Dave Bing
    Wondo

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    Steve Garvey
    Magic Johnson
    Eric Dickerson
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    Barry Sanders
    Steve Yzerman
    Joe Dumars
    Alan Trammel
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Steve Garvey
    Brooks Robinson
    Rod Carew
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cal ripken jr
    Tracy mcgrady
    Yao Ming
    Pedro Martinez
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    Don Drysdale
    Roman Gabriel
    Jerry West

when i got to Junior high school, my chums were the craziest for hockey fans on the planet. me and this kid Tim would walk to his house after school quite regularly to discuss our favorite Kings and do pretend play-by-plays while engaging in table hockey battles.

so for many years my guy was Rogie Vachon.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Lance Alworth
    Lance Parrish
    James Worthy
    Chris Chelios >>

Not Robert Brazile or Scott Stevens?

My childhood heroes:
    Yaz
    Andre Tippett
    Reggie Lewis
    Ray Bourque >>

Nah, more of an adult taste where Brazile, Stevens, Drexler and a couple of others are concerned image
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Tony Dorsett
    Darryl Strawberry
    Larry Bird

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Johnny Unitas -- If you young folks want to know how he conducted himself back in the day see Peyton Manning
    Hank Aaron
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball