Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Republic of Lucca

While part of the Duchy of Tuscany, Lucca was granted a large degree of independence by the Emperor Henry IV in 1084 and maintained that autonomy until 1805 when Napoleon awarded the city to his sister Elisa. The city was officially a Republic from 1369 until 1799, when invaded by the French, then occupied by the Austrians, then by the French again.

This Scudo (Dav-1373), minted from 1735 - 1750, is dated 1747 and has copious satiny luster on both sides, draped with a light (to medium-light) ash-grey patina. The surfaces are pristine. The shield side shows the crowned ornamental republic arms in branches, with the legend LUCENSIS RESPUBLICA. The figure side shows a person next to an equestrian, with the legend SANCTUS MARTINUS.

I particularly like this coin because its design isn't about some old fart (or fart-ess); its theme isn't simply about some old dead person, although the person on foot may not fare so well from the horse rider in the next frame. image

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I particularly like this coin because its design isn't about some old fart (or fart-ess); its theme isn't simply about some old dead person, although the person on foot may not fare so well from the horse rider in the next frame. image
    >>

Actually, far from being threatening, I think the fellow on horseback is St Martin of Tours and he cutting his cloak in two to share with the begger at right. Here's the legend per Wiki:

While Martin was a soldier in the Roman army and deployed in Gaul (modern-day France), he experienced a vision, which became the most-repeated story about his life. One day as he was approaching the gates of the city of Amiens, he met a scantily clad beggar. He impulsively cut his military cloak in half to share with the man. That night, Martin dreamed of Jesus wearing the half-cloak he had given away. He heard Jesus say to the angels: "Martin, who is still but a catechumen, clothed me with this robe." (Sulpicius, ch 2). In another version, when Martin woke, he found his cloak restored to wholeness. The dream confirmed Martin in his piety, and he was baptised at the age of 18.

The part kept by himself became the famous relic preserved in the oratory of the Merovingian kings of the Franks at the Marmoutier Abbey near Tours. During the Middle Ages, the supposed relic of St. Martin’s miraculous cloak, (cappa Sancti Martini) was carried by the king even into battle, and used as a holy relic upon which oaths were sworn. The cloak is first attested in the royal treasury in 679, when it was conserved at the palatium of Luzarches, a royal villa that was later ceded to the monks of Saint-Denis by Charlemagne, in 798/99.

While not in "my" area, I always thought this was an interesting design and you have a nice example there.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I love that obverse design, very different for the period.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses. Stupid me - I should've thought to look up Saint Martin!

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    That really is a different type of obverse scene-- I like it image
  • Options
    very image and I didn't know about St Martin
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    St Martin In The Fields is a well-respected school and episcopal church here in Atlanta. Martin is a celebrated character, perhaps as much as George and the dragon? Seems like a good subject to collect esp if you like saints.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE