Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Dutch Medal Surprise

I had won, on eBay, this Dutch horsey medal, from a vendor in Portugal. He frequently has unusual stuff.
The medal was not in the best condition, but the engraved insrcription, not readable in the eBay photo,, intrigued me.

I usually do not expect much when I google the name of the recipient. Much to my surprise, however, was that when I input J M ten Kate, I discovered that he was a prolific Dutch artist who flourished in the right time period for this medal. Without a detailed biography, however, I cannot be absolutely sure.

imageimage
Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Probably is the same guy who won this medal, a famous dutch painter of the romantic period, he made a lot of beach scene paintings of Scheveningen, the same place this medal
    was presented to him in 1892, he died at age 40 in 1896.
    Wonder for which dicipline, could be horseriding, fishing, rifleshooting, bikeracing, tennis, bowls, many things were going on between June and October 1892 in Scheveningen.
    Medal was struck at (Royal) Begeer , a dutch company most famous for making medals.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.