Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1988 Football Heroes Stickerbook

I stumbled upon this item about a year ago while I was collecting Bo Jackson hardcore. I have searched high and low for the book and have come up empty until recently. I have shifted to collecting mainly cards from the 1980's issued in the UK featuring American NFL players so this fits right in! It turns out there are several other stars in the book including Brian Bosworth, who I still collect today (expanding his master list, work in progress). From what I understand, the stickers are very close together on the pages and multiple per page. So, IF they can be slabbed it would be either as a whole sheet or by making sacrifice cuts. The sticker artwork is not amazing but the book is very, very hard to find. I found two copies of the book and am awaiting their arrival from across the pond. I'll post some images when the books arrive. Here is an example of what the Bo Jackson sticker looks like, this example not being cut in an attractive way, however. I've purchased these sight unseen and got a great deal. I am hopeful the books will be nice and the stickers impeccable.

-Nate
The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases

Comments

• dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Checklist

#1 Marcus Allen
    #2 Gary Anderson
    #3 Brian Bosworth
    #4 Anthony Carter
    #5 Deron Cherry
    #6 Eric Dickerson
    #7 John Elway
    #8 Bo Jackson
    #9 Rich Karlis
    #10 Bernie Kosar
    #11 Steve Largent
    #12 Mick Luckhurst
    #13 Dexter Manley
    #14 Dan Marino
    #15 Jim McMahon
    #16 Joe Montana
    #17 Joe Morris
    #18 Anthony Munoz
    #19 Ozzie Newsome
    #20 Walter Payton
    #21 William Perry
    #22 Jerry Rice
    #23 Ricky Sanders
    #24 Phil Simms
    #25 Mike Singletary
    #26 Dwight Stephenson
    #27 Lawrence Taylor
    #28 Herschel Walker
    #29 Doug Williams
    #30 Kellen Winslow
    This just arrived, pics to come soon...
  • Cool set, can't wait for pics! I wish there was a Tippett in there.
    Here is the cover:

And here is the sticker page:

Leaving the office soon, will discuss more from home...
  • The Boz looks pretty sweet! I realize the ball stickers are seperate, but that Kosar still looks weird in that pose without it. Nice rare oddball pickup.
    Some details about the book for those that are interested.

-The first few pages talk about the game and rules.
    -Several pages containing biographies, one for each player represented on the sticker page above.
    -In the center, there is a playing field with specific outline spots to place particular players. Not all players have an outline. Bo Jackson, for one, does not.
    -The stickers are a clear vinyl, re-usable type. They remind me of something called "colorforms" that I played with growing up, except clear.
    -The stickers are very close together, making cutting a challenge.
    -They look mostly good, some yellowing at the top of the page.

Let me know if you have any questions.
  • if anyone has an Ozzie Newsome, I would like to work out a deal for it...
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Cool, so in addition to the stickers shown on these 2 pages there are more stickers with the bios?

<< <i>Cool, so in addition to the stickers shown on these 2 pages there are more stickers with the bios? >>

No, those shown are all of the stickers. The bios are just text on a page with a black/white sketch of the player on the page.

Edit: Re-worded the sentence above to make it clearer.

<< <i>if anyone has an Ozzie Newsome, I would like to work out a deal for it... >>

I have two copies of the book, each complete with every sticker. I'm not sure what i'm going to do with them just yet. If I end up parting with some of the stickers I'll PM you about Newsome.
    Sent an e-mail to PSA for a determination on grading for this set. Stay tuned...

• << <i>

<< <i>if anyone has an Ozzie Newsome, I would like to work out a deal for it... >>

I have two copies of the book, each complete with every sticker. I'm not sure what i'm going to do with them just yet. If I end up parting with some of the stickers I'll PM you about Newsome. >>

Thank you very much!!
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    That is a really neat, unusual item. Thanks for sharing the pics! image
  • The way the 2 in the top left corner overlap each other, it's not even possible to cut them into rectangles. PITA.

<< <i>The way the 2 in the top left corner overlap each other, it's not even possible to cut them into rectangles. PITA. >>

Not without sacrificing one player, you would need two copies of the book (or more) to get every player in a rectangle cut. You could end up with the foot or hand of another player in the cut in some cases. This happens when cutting card items out by hand. I have seen graphics that protrude into the image, from a box top cut for example.

<< <i>Sent an e-mail to PSA for a determination on grading for this set. Stay tuned... >>

Green light. These can be graded. Turns out there are two cards in population. Both cards (Dan Marino & Dwight Stephenson) received a PSA 8 grade.

http://www.psacard.com/Pop/Detail.aspx?c=118246
  • Cool!
  • Very cool piece, Nate. If you do end up butchering one of these and are looking to sell the Payton, please let me know.

Snorto~
    I graded a few of these. Decent results on a couple, not so hot on Payton. Will have to examine on Monday to see if I can find a significant flaw that I previously overlooked.

MINT 9 1988 Football Heroes Sticker Book Hand Cut Bo Jackson
    MINT 9 1988 Football Heroes Sticker Book Hand Cut Lawrence Taylor
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1988 Football Heroes Sticker Book Hand Cut Walter Payton
  • CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    ...Still interested in the Ozzie Newsome...please let me know what you need for it. Thanks again!
    I have the stickers in storage right now, due to being away at work often. My plan is to grade a set for my collection and if I have anything extra I'll be sure to offer them back here in the thread, including Newsome. In full disclosure I doubt I'll have extras because so many of the stickers overlap it will require sacrifice cutting. I'm just guessing I will get a complete set or near with both books.