Home Precious Metals
Options

forums opinions of kruggerands as stacking material?

MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
obviously one must purchase at a price/premium below an AGE.

But overall, are they worth any premium over melt to the market?

Would it be better simply to stack generic with a small-to-no premium?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Prefer the AGE.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    prefer the AGE

ease of resell should always be a consideration. AGE premiums are normally recouped, larger buyer base.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

They shouldn't cost much over melt. I have a tenth at the moment that I picked up for $120 not too long ago. I think it was like $5 over melt . The 1 oz maybe $20 over melt isn't too bad.

The 1 rand and 2 rand coins are nice to stack also , they are the same as British half and whole sovereigns respectively .

I have heard rumors some people disliked the south african coins due to their feelings about apartheid but I've never actually met anyone that felt that way.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people prefer KR's to Maple Leafs because the 24kt leafs scratch very easily. Some people only want 24kt.

There is a market for everything. The premiums vary from time to time and from place to place.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Prefer the Buffalos.....9999(24K) and usually priced the same as AGEs.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had my eye on one today that closed around $1315. What's current gold price ?
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Had my eye on one today that closed around $1315. What's current gold price ? >>

2014 Buffalo is $1242 + $12 shipping on Provident now....cash/check price for one.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    I love them. Together with the Sovereign they are the first bullion I have ever seen/heard of when I was a kid in Italy.
    They are well known worldwide, as you know, but if I were to spend my whole life in the Us I would go with mainly AGEs.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Prefer the Buffalos.....9999(24K) and usually priced the same as AGEs. >>

Also a very good choice for the same reason I gave on the AGE.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Had my eye on one today that closed around $1315. What's current gold price ? >>

about 1185.

take off $100 max ebay bucks and it closed at about $30 over spot.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the market is heading towards .999 or .9999 or .99999. It's being driven by the Chinese and India, and those markets want purity. I believe the buffalo was in part a response to that demand.

That said: I LOVE KRUGERRANDS. They have a quality that other bullion coins just don't. I'm hopelessly a product of the 20th century, and Krugerrands are the gold doubloon of the 20th century. They're smuggling, drug kingpin, oil sheik, shah stash, apartheid, Delorean fueled G O L D. I can't help it. I love them.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They shouldn't cost much over melt. I have a tenth at the moment that I picked up for $120 not too long ago. I think it was like $5 over melt . The 1 oz maybe $20 over melt isn't too bad.

The 1 rand and 2 rand coins are nice to stack also , they are the same as British half and whole sovereigns respectively .

I have heard rumors some people disliked the south african coins due to their feelings about apartheid but I've never actually met anyone that felt that way. >>

Years ago some tried to dissuade you from buying them because of apartheid, but it's been a long time since that raised its ugly head. I thought it was a dead issue.

SDBullion has 2013 1 ouncers for $34 over plus $7.77 shipping any order size.
  • Options

<< <i>obviously one must purchase at a price/premium below an AGE.

But overall, are they worth any premium over melt to the market?

Would it be better simply to stack generic with a small-to-no premium? >>

I think you'll be hard pressed to find any of the 3rd tier [per rawteam1] bullion houses [DBScoins, JMBullion, Provident Metals, APMEX, etc.] selling them for less than $30 over spot unless you want to buy a lot of them. Generic bars give you more gold for the buck, but they're also easier to fake. I'd mistrust them if they weren't in the security cards.
  • Options

<< <i>prefer the AGE

ease of resell should always be a consideration. AGE premiums are normally recouped, larger buyer base. >>

My local dealer pays $10 over, a dealer down the road pays $20 over, APMEX $25-$30 over. Your best bet to get the $50 over if you bought from say APMEX is to sell to another stacker.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Variety is the spice of life.... >>

Agree. If you are buying gold bullion, a variety of coins would be an interesting way to accumulate some gold bullion. I especially like the 20 and 50 peso Mexican gold coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>prefer the AGE

ease of resell should always be a consideration. AGE premiums are normally recouped, larger buyer base. >>

My local dealer pays $10 over, a dealer down the road pays $20 over, APMEX $25-$30 over. Your best bet to get the $50 over if you bought from say APMEX is to sell to another stacker. >>

I disagree, but then a lot of guys get their momma to push the car .

Signed,

A middle man

(my point is that the lower people DEMAND prices to be, the less willing miners [assayers, truckers, etc.] are to take a cut in pay for the work they do. )
    On the same token the fat is based on a healthy dose of greed. Stackers are either paranoid, greedy, or they got too much cash on their hands and always have to MAKE money
    The whole premise reminds me of the guy in Nevada who died with 7 million dollars in "stacked gold". Worth about "spot". image He should have died when gold was $1900.

So whether we are talking AGE, PESO, KRUGERRAND, PANDA, PHILHARMONIC, CREDIT SUISSE, or any other OUNCE… keep in mind. It's just an ounce. And it takes about 5 to 10 ounces for a decent burial. Give or take a few dozen flowers.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    During the era of apartheid Krugger-Rands were banned from importation into the US and carried quite a stigma. Ironically, they still carry a stigma even though the blacks control the government that now produces them.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dig on the krugs, globally recognized and accepted. Nothing wrong with them at all, and if you can get them close to spot that's even better.

I have one for my continental gold set. Now if Antarctica would come out with a gold coin I'd be able to have all 7 continents covered in my stack.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>prefer the AGE

My local dealer pays $10 over, a dealer down the road pays $20 over, APMEX $25-$30 over. Your best bet to get the $50 over if you bought from say APMEX is to sell to another stacker. >>

I disagree, but then a lot of guys get their momma to push the car .

Signed,

A middle man

(my point is that the lower people DEMAND prices to be, the less willing miners [assayers, truckers, etc.] are to take a cut in pay for the work they do. )
    On the same token the fat is based on a healthy dose of greed. Stackers are either paranoid, greedy, or they got too much cash on their hands and always have to MAKE money
    The whole premise reminds me of the guy in Nevada who died with 7 million dollars in "stacked gold". Worth about "spot". image He should have died when gold was $1900.

So whether we are talking AGE, PESO, KRUGERRAND, PANDA, PHILHARMONIC, CREDIT SUISSE, or any other OUNCE… keep in mind. It's just an ounce. And it takes about 5 to 10 ounces for a decent burial. Give or take a few dozen flowers. >>

I did a little checking. Right now as of spot at $1196, JMBullion is selling 1 ounce OPM bars [20+] for $1216 or a $20 premium over spot. The have varied year K-Rands at $1238 [20 coins] which is a $22 premium over generic and a $42 premium over spot. 20 2014 AGEs are $1248 which is a $32 premium over generic and $52 over spot. Before one buys, it behooves one to check and see where he can get the best deal when its time to sell. Of course nobody is likely to pay spot for generic bars either. I didn't even ask what folks were paying for those. Depending upon your circumstances, you best bet to maximize your return is to sell to a stacker.

APMEX buy prices are approx $1198 [Sunshine mint bars] $1210 and $1220 respectively.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When buying American Eagles, don't insist on the current year coins unless you are assembling a date set or making a gift where the year is relevant. Dealers have to pay a premium to official distributors to get the current year coins for the customers who want them. However, every current year coin eventually becomes an older year coin, usually a generic year coin.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Some places like SDBullion have 2014/current year coins for less than prior year coins. I suppose to clear out inventory. Remember too that earlier year coins may have been pre-owned and may not be brand new quality. You could get dinged upon resale.
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Interesting reading
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    I am old enough to remember when South African gold was avoided because of Apartaid{spellchecker would be handy about now)
  • Options

<< <i>I am old enough to remember when South African gold was avoided because of Apartaid{spellchecker would be handy about now) >>

It was spelled correctly several times in the thread!image
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting reading >>

Several heads are usually better than one as long as all of them aren't on the same person. Most of the opinions are interesting. Best is to do your own due diligence and decide what's right for you. Also have an exit strategy if you need to or decide to sell.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, and this:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's difficult not to like just about any gold coins in quantity.image

That said, I doubt that I'll ever go back to Kruggerands. I like Gold Eagles and Gold Buffalos too much to go back.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>It's difficult not to like just about any gold coins in quantity.image

That said, I doubt that I'll ever go back to Kruggerands. I like Gold Eagles and Gold Buffalos too much to go back. >>

Since K Rands aren't even minted here how can one even be sure that they're genuine? Twould be the only reason I can think of for having them slabbed in as economic [read cheap] a way as possible.

I like Eagles and Maple Leafs as well.
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Personally, I dont like Krugs. WAAAAYYY too many fakes out there. Really hurt the market for them and scared away a lot of potential buyers. Same thing is starting to happen with PAMP gold bars unless you buy them directly from PAMP.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector