Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, am not trying to be ignorant here. But what am I supposed to see or recognize?
    I simply do not know and would love to know, as I have a similar looking 5 cent hanging around here.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, am not trying to be ignorant here. But what am I supposed to see or recognize?
    I simply do not know and would love to know, as I have a similar looking 5 cent hanging around here.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps the OP believes this planchet is too hard, and therefore received a weak strike? image

Taken from a website about annealing:

<< <i>Annealing--Basic Concepts
    Annealing is a process wherein heat is applied to a metal in order to change its internal structure in such a way that the metal will become softer. Most of us think of "heat treating" when we think of applying heat to a metal in order to change its internal structural properties. The word "heat treating" is most commonly associated with steel. However, the term heat treating is not annealing, except in a general and journalistic sense of the word. Heat-treating refers to a process wherein the metal is made harder. Annealing always means to make the metal softer.

In order to make steel harder, it is heated to some temperature, and then cooled fairly rapidly, although this is not always the case. Brass, on the other hand, cannot be made harder by heating it--ever. Brass is always made softer by heating. >>

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat!

Are improperly annealed / sintered planchets common with the Canadian alloys?
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    Thanks everybody for stopping by, it is real cool, and will grade very high too !!!
  • Options
    Look into copper wash or copper migration.It is an annealing error that occurs when a planchet is in the annealer to long.The copper can migrate through the nickle to the surface of the coin.In some cases forming a layer of copper on the surface.Some of these are called "black beauties" and other colors.I collect them if they catch my eye.
    Mark Anderson
  • Options
    stashstash Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    This coin has a funny story, I'm always asking my son to check his change, last weekend he said dad, this coin doesn't look right, so I told him what it was, now he looks at every coin he finds, I also live in Michigan !!!!