Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Catfish Hunter Hertford North Carolina

Happened to be in Catfish's hometown last weekend and stumbled upon this.

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭
    great pitcher; gone too soon!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    Seeing a headstone like that and guys like McGwire and Bonds want people to think entry into the Hall means nothing to them?! Yeah right.
  • Options

<< <i>great pitcher; gone too soon! >>

So true. But that is a fittingly great monument!
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    "Happened to be in Catfish's hometown last weekend and stumbled upon this."
    -----
    As a fellow North Carolinian, it's nice to see this fitting
    headstone for "Catfish". Too bad the stone on the left
    doesn't say Hurtle instead of Hurdle. It would somehow
    be fitting.

Hard to imagine that anyone just "happens" to find
    their way to Hertford, North Carolina though. Not
    exactly a metropolis. Some of his cards may sell for
    more dollars than there are people in Hertford.

John

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Great monument for him. Sad that he is gone.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice monument. I got to meet Catfish at a card show a few years before he was diagnosed. He was real friendly and down to earth. Even though we didn't buy autograph tickets, he stood and talked to my buddy and I for about half an hour. He told various stories like about how his foot got shot in a hunting accident.
  • Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"Happened to be in Catfish's hometown last weekend and stumbled upon this."
    -----
    As a fellow North Carolinian, it's nice to see this fitting
    headstone for "Catfish". Too bad the stone on the left
    doesn't say Hurtle instead of Hurdle. It would somehow
    be fitting.

Hard to imagine that anyone just "happens" to find
    their way to Hertford, North Carolina though. Not
    exactly a metropolis. Some of his cards may sell for
    more dollars than there are people in Hertford.

John >>

I typically bypass the town completely on my travels but decided to ride through there last time through. All of 8 minutes later, I had made a complete circle of the town and was back on 17 heading East.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Seeing a headstone like that and guys like McGwire and Bonds want people to think entry into the Hall means nothing to them?! Yeah right. >>

What does the monument have to do with Bonds and McGwire?
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    They'll never be able to write "Hall of Fame" on anything, from pictures and balls to their headstones.

Nor should they.

• Options

<< <i>Probably my favorite player of all time. >>

+1
  • Options
    So, I am out on my travels yesterday and ended up in and around Hertford, North Carolina again. I am always scouring the planet for unique and interesting items that I may sell or retain for my personal collection. I love yearbooks, however, I typically do not keep any as they are a bit heavy and occupy valuable shelf space. Anyway, I picked up four yearbooks form Perquimans County High School at fair price and continued my search. When I returned home in the evening, I began to check the books for missing pages, cut out pictures, etc. I start thinking about the dates of the books (1961-1964) and something occurs to me. I always associate Hertford, North Carolina with Catfish Hunter and knew his rookie card was in 1965. I start turning the pages to see if Catfish was listed in them. Lo and behold, Jimmy Hunter as a Freshman in High School caught my eye in the 1961 book followed by more sightings in the remainder. Plenty of signatures in each of these books but none were Catfish. I found this pretty neat and thought I would share.

9th Grade

10th Grade

11th Grade

12th Grade
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Cool stuff!
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the girl next to Hunter is still next to him in the cemetary...
    Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if the girl next to Hunter is still next to him in the cemetary... >>

Quite an astute observation!

Very cool Catfish items image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for sharing.

Nice to see the yearbooks.

1978 comes to mind - Yanks - great team - it conjures up memories of a book I read by Lyle - Bronx Zoo.
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks. I was surprised to find him in there and searched several times to see if he signed anywhere. The previous owner of the yearbooks was a grade behind Catfish.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing.

WOW, I never knew CATFISH played on the same team as BOOGIE! image

Agreed ... nice observation regarding the cemetery.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.