Home Autographs Forum

Neil Armstrong Signed Program

Hello

A Good friend of mine showed me a program from a little league event in Washington DC from 1970. Neil Armstrong was the guest speaker. After the event her and her husband asked Mr. Armstrong to sign their program which he did.

They said there were very few programs given out less than 50 she thinks. I have searched for this program everywhere but could not find it. I told her she should send it to be authenticated I looked up the cost from PSA to have it authenticated and it is $250.00

She also said she believed the day after this event that Mr. Armstrong retired although I have not been able to find the exact date he retired I read it was in 1970, maybe someone here may know.

I read "He stopped signing autographs in 1994 after finding that many of his signatures were selling for significant amounts of money, and that there were several forgeries in circulation. Since then any requests that were sent to him were answered with a form letter stating that he had stopped signing autographs"

She wants me to help her send it to be authenticated any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I will post some photos of the program as soon as she sends them to me.

Thank You

Comments

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    If this is all true, then she should be advised to handle it carefully. Hold it gently by the corners, don't crease or fold it, etc.

This isn't my cup of tea but I know a potential buyer will be concerned about the condition of the paper, in addition to the autograph itself. Whether or not the ink is faded, smudged, legible, etc.

I would also recommend getting a price appraisal BEFORE having it authenticated, as the value may be less than the authentication (if it does indeed cost $250).
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much would she take for it right now?

• << <i>If this is all true, then she should be advised to handle it carefully. Hold it gently by the corners, don't crease or fold it, etc.

This isn't my cup of tea but I know a potential buyer will be concerned about the condition of the paper, in addition to the autograph itself. Whether or not the ink is faded, smudged, legible, etc.

I would also recommend getting a price appraisal BEFORE having it authenticated, as the value may be less than the authentication (if it does indeed cost $250). >>

Thank you for the info lochness...

I will advise her of your suggestions. The Autograph is in blue pen, and is not smudged or faded, corners are all fine the program itself shows some yellow ageing, but overall it it perfect.
    I am still waiting for her pics. Where would be a good place to have it appraised in the Williamsport PA. area, if you know..

I do not think she is interested in selling it right now until she has it Authenticated..

Thank you for your reply...
    This is from a good friend of yours, who says she was present at the signing. So you know the autograph is genuine authentic. The only reason to have it authenticated is to give buyers confidence.
    If you sell in auction, this may raise the hammer. Especially if there are many fakes circulating (as your OP indicates). But if you are selling retail (like to a dealer) the cost of authentication may only subtract from your profits. Many autographed memorabilia sell without industry authentication. Especially glossy space photos, flight plans, shuttle remnants and other misc. NASA items. Check out SkyMan's post on the US Coin forum in honor of Apollo 12's 45th anniversary. In fact, he would be an excellent person to PM about this.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Let us know what happens. And definitely post photos here. Many knowledgeable folks but they need pics to advise.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• << <i>This is from a good friend of yours, who says she was present at the signing. So you know the autograph is genuine authentic. The only reason to have it authenticated is to give buyers confidence.
    If you sell in auction, this may raise the hammer. Especially if there are many fakes circulating (as your OP indicates). But if you are selling retail (like to a dealer) the cost of authentication may only subtract from your profits. Many autographed memorabilia sell without industry authentication. Especially glossy space photos, flight plans, shuttle remnants and other misc. NASA items. Check out SkyMan's post on the US Coin forum in honor of Apollo 12's 45th anniversary. In fact, he would be an excellent person to PM about this.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Let us know what happens. And definitely post photos here. Many knowledgeable folks but they need pics to advise. >>

OK lochness thanks again for the info, I will share it with her. I will try to find SkyMan's post still kinda new to the boards allot to learn...
  • PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another option is to sign up with CollectSpace.com and post an image of the item. The members would be more than happy to let you know. I would be interested in seeing a scan.
  • SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Another option is to sign up with CollectSpace.com and post an image of the item. The members would be more than happy to let you know. I would be interested in seeing a scan. >>

+1
  • Ok thank you all for your suggestions i will do so as soon as she sends me the pics. Maybe I'll have to go back to her house take them myself, she does not know how to use a digital camera said she was waiting for her daughter to do it, I might wait forever image
  • Here are some pics she sent with her cell phone...

Also a correction it was her husbands father who got it signed.
    He was an uncle with the little league and traveled to DC For the Banquet...

Program

Autograph

Program1

Program2
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Spend $12 (what he charges for an email opinion) and let Steve Zarelli take a look here. If it passes Steve, it will pass PSA/DNA as he is a space consultant authenticator for them. Plus, he's a nice guy too.

Zarelli

If she is going to sell it immediately or in the near future, I would NOT spend $250 plus shipping/insurance fees, etc, and instead, I'd send it to rrauction.com. The individual (Bob Eaton) that runs that auction house is a PSA/DNA consultant authenticator, and also uses Zarelli as well, and for a $15 lot fee plus commission, he will auction it for you and basically tosses in PSA/DNA precertification as well at no additional cost to give the buyers extra peace of mind. In reality, it's not really extra peace of mind, because if you trust the PSA/DNA authenticators, you don't really need the "brand name" because you are already getting the expertise behind the "brand name" by dealing with the authenticators directly.

However, if she is planning on holding it for awhile, or keeping it in her collection, don't pay for the name brand authentication right now, because quite frankly, in this industry, every one is always just a major scandal(that "sticks") away from being out of favor with the collector. Go with whomever is in favor when you plan on selling it.

However, if she insists on having a "name brand" authentication right now, call both PSA/DNA and JSA and negotiate the price. PSA/DNA used to be really good at price negotiation, and has some great admin staff that is helpful. Good group in Newport Beach. I especially recommend Joe and Jackie.
    Also from dealing with Spence on some really nice pieces like George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Cobb, Ruth, etc, etc. etc,, he will cap the authentication fees at $100 each if you ask. Your mileage may vary depending on the day and your demeanor, but that's what I'd do if it were mine.

Also, the $80 full authentication from Zarelli will carry as much weight for those in the know than either PSA/DNA or JSA, as again, he is a space consultant for both.

And lastly, to get a good measure on what that is worth in today's marketplace, visit rrauction.com , and search completed auctions using the term "Armstrong". I think you are going to be surprised at what they sell for these days. A HECKUVA lot more than $250.

If she does end up using R&R to auction it, please tell them that Mike Navarro from Waxahachie, TX sent you.

Good luck!!

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
    Excellent advice, Mike. Extremely helpful and informative. I love this forum!

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The signature looks 100% fine.
  • Thank you thenavarro I have passed on the link so she can read for herself.
    I told her to sign up, but she likes to keep private.
    Also there is the back of the program that has the Little League Pledge she will send that to me and I will post it also.

I still my go to her house with my digital camera and take better pictures...

Thank you All for your suggestions....
    Cool. I love that they had their own pledge image

Reminds me of my little league days.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE