Home Sports Talk
Options

Should the NFL realign??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
It's been awhile since the last realignment when the two Leagues merged, should the NFL do a realignment by Geographical location?? It would make sense and only affect a few Teams while allowing for the sacred cow rivalries to be maintained.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    My ideal (though unpopular I am sure) scenario for divisions is to get rid of all of them in all sports.

In the NFL, select the 8 teams with the best records and send them to the playoffs. Enough of the wild card crapola.

If you are not in the top 8 it is for a reason. Dump the sorry quarterback and try again next year.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geographic divisions only. We should have 1 for all the north american teams and the other from the European teams image

Seriously though my new england patriots are helped immensely by being in a terrible division and its an unfair advantage. Others feel the opposite I'm sure , if you are in a very competitive division its a real war to get to the end.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think new rivalries could be started and the best ones could be maintained by the two Teams of different Divisions playing home/away over two years. to my way of thinking it is silly to have Teams like Miami and New England in the same division. The Pat's should be playing with NY, Philly and Washington while Miami should be playing with Tampa bay, Jacksonville and the Saints.

-----my main reason for liking such a thing is that the Teams are close enough to allow fans to travel for a day trip.
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    NO! If the NFL re-aligned, there is a chance the Chiefs and Raiders could end up in different divisions!! And BAM, there
    goes 2 wins each season!!

Just kidding (kinda). Actually, unless you did away with NFC/AFC, Im not sure how it could be done much differently.
    How would you do it (for the sake of discussion)?
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a word "NO". Seems that someone is always wanting to change something that doesn't need changing. The strengths of the divisions all go thru cycles.

It all evens out over the years.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought it odd that Dallas is in the
    N F C East, that Atlanta was in the N F C West.

Doing away with the two conferences would allow geographical realignment that would reduce travel distance. Existing rivalries would be replaced with new ones.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    I vote for the NFC EAST to be made up of the:

GIANTS
    REDSKINS
    FALCONS
    BUCS

My GIANTS are now tied for first place!!!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.