Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Are folks holding back upgrades and/or sets for the end of the "contest"?

On another thread someone suggested I may be holding onto some upgrades for the end of the contest. Not true, but it's an interesting concept...sort a second order "snipe" situation!! Instead of sniping a coin...a person would try to "snipe" a collection!

This raises all sorts of questions:

Do you have any additions/upgrades that you are holding for the end of June? Do you think others may be doing this? Is this a consideration even worth talking about?

Are there entire collections lurking around out there waiting for the end of the contest? How many Registry quaity collections will this deadine bring out of the bushes?

HD

Comments

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    HD
    Leave it to you to start people to worrying.I'm sure there are some devious Registry Set owners and skulkers out there doing just what your suggesting.Unfotuneitely I'm not one of them.Wish I was.image As to will whole new collections be added,I don't think many if any.You never can tell.I was wondering if you knew who David Hall sold that 1936 PR66 CAM Lincoln to? Since I've decided to sell my 1937 PR66 CAM Lincoln to complete my Registry Set,I'd like to find out.Do you think he'd hook me up with that guy?
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    keithdagenkeithdagen Posts: 2,025
    High,

It's an interesting idea. Personally, with the Complete Set, you reach 100% and you won the contest in my book, even if you have pieces that are upgradable. In my sets, I haven't really given much thought to the idea. Recently, I have streamlined some sets and am starting to sell those "extra" pieces to bulk up my main set, but it isn't because of the current June deadline for sets. It is more that I think that the pieces that I am currently seeking are undervalued and I need to jump on them now.
    Keith ™

• Options
    KeyrockKeyrock Posts: 961
    No, I never really thought of my hobby as a contest, simply the best that I can do. I viewed it as a marketing scheme by PCGS to stimulate prices, submissions etc....

Maybe if I was on the fence with a coin it might cause me to buy it but I would add it and not wait. People will recognize the sets for what they have accomplished, not what their rank is IMO.

Rich
  • Options
    cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    SOme people maybe actually doing this. I am sure we will see a few last minute upgrades and sets registered. For me I have nothing much for my current sets. I have been concentrating on a set which does not exist yet.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    HD,

I've been wondering about two Kennedy Proof collections that are truly amazing. #22 is EBL III. That collection has only two coins that could be upgraded, a 69-S PR70 Dcam (pop 1) and a 95-S Silver PR70 Dcam (pop 7). The only coin needed to complete the set and take 1st place is the 2000-S (pop 1493). Immediately beneath this set is the one belonging to Honeycutt. This set could only be upgraded with the same 69-S (pop 1) or a 76-S Silver (pop 11). Interestingly, the only thing needed to complete this set are the 2000 coins. Either these folks could care less about the registry (hard to believe with so many PR70 Dcams) or they are waiting for the right time to edit their sets. Regardless, these are two of the finest efforts I've ever seen, and I wish I owned either set.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My entire trade dollar set is composed of my duplicates - the real coins are raw. image
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭✭
    HD,

When does your modern proof set get unwrapped? Give us little guys a little peak to see how the big guns work?
  • Options
    I would hope that Mr. Honeycutt can obtain a '36 proof Washington and complete an amazin' set! image
    (Even though it would knock my #2 set down a notch!) image

Regards,

Don

'36 PRxx Washingtons and
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Who is collecting because of a contest? I had heard about the contest but did not give it another thought after that.
  • Options
    izzy452izzy452 Posts: 929
    Contest ? What Contest ? Im new here. What happenes after June?image

Walt
  • Options
    I think PCGS will give out certificates to the #1 sets based on the ranking at the end of June. I hope to get one for early proof Jeffersons. I don't think I could top HD or Wm Walser in the 20'th Century mixed type set, where I am %100 complete. I am sure I can't buy two proof Buffalos, one matte proof Lincoln and one proof 20'th Century Morgan in the next month so Wm Walser is safe from me in the 20'th Century Proof Type set. So I will post coins as I buy them and have no coin in reserve.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Negative (Though I did hold back a couple coins in 2001 to surge when when the new year wwas allowed in!)
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    HighDesert are you worried?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    By the time PCGS get done grading all the coins I sent in it might be June... Anyway I'm just hoping to slip into the top 5... Those PR70DCAM Proof lincolns are a real pain in the butt to find....
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    People will recognize the sets for what they have accomplished, not what their rank is IMO.

The problem is that so many of the set collectors equate rank = accomplishment. They're rank collectors, not coin collectors. Kind of sad and pathetic.
  • Options
    My set is a "registry set accomplishment", not a "rank set."...

its not a contest its recognizing the best sets that have been put together by people of a series they enjoy. The contest is if one wants to see it that way.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    By the first week of July we shall see all and know all ,so what does a holdback matter. If we should be passed ,well, we will just have to upgrade some more coins. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I don't know about the rest of EBLIII's sets but the ASE Proof set only needs a 2001 to put it on top with not much chance of anyone topping it .There is 3 proof 70's in that set and the only other one that I can find is the number 1 set with 1 proof 70 .

MAC

IHNAV8660 1oz. AMERICAN EAGLE COLLECTIONS
  • Options
    7summits7summits Posts: 316 ✭✭
    Personally I'd advise against trying to 'snipe' a winning set by waiting until the last minute to update. I tried twice to update mine; finally had to have PCGS do it for me. Waited 7-10 days both times, but my updates were never validated.
    Who is this EBL III anyway?
  • Options
    So, does this mean I shouldn't wait to post my Modern Type Set until late June? It certainly won't be the top set and I wanted to wait until I have the last 2 coins before I post it. I'm thinking 2 more weeks to get those last 2. It'll really just be a coincidence on timing of the completion of my 1st Registry Set...wohooo!!!!! image Plus...got a few of 'em from Board members here...you've been helpful...THANKS! - Rob

Oh...that reminds me...do I have to "prove" to PCGS I have the coins (or should I say certificates)??? If so, I better start firing up the scanner soon... Ah...another question...what if one of the coins is at PCGS for a reholder? (it cracked in transit) Can I still register that one b4 I get it back?
  • Options
    while there are certainly some rank collectors out there, I beleive that most collect for the love of the hobby and nothing more...sure it is nice to see your collection on the board and for others to admire.....there are certainly sets I would love to see in person and compare DCAM quality to those in my collections....hey my sets place where they do based on the coins that I can find, collect, have graded etc....isnt it all about the search and collecting a piece of history in the process that makes this hobby fun!?!

cheers,
    Paul
  • Options
    I do not have a set that would break 7th place on this board. My PR69DCAM Ike proof set was tied for 7th with about 25 other people before I pulled it off this board. It is a waste of energy to even get worked up about it. I started way behind trying to shape my collections when the Registries first emerged.

Like Keith, I have too much working capital tied up in good solid coins that I upgraded. If someday I am able to sell some of this stuff, I will concentrate on one or maybe two sets to be-the-best-that-I-can-be. Boy, does that sound familiar. Only they did not quite word it that way when I was in the Army. In the meantime, I am happy with the accomplishments to date. To go from almost zero, to where I am now in a year satisfies me. I have low expectations and a great deal of work to do for the present.

The Registry has given me motivation and focus on completing my sets. I have accomplished a great deal toward having a good solid collection base since my divorce one year ago. I really look forward to doing more with my set grades in the future. I have 6 sets on the NGC Registry and every one of them meets my collecting expectation for the present. None of these sets is less than 7th on the other board.

This is great. I really am having fun building my collection and doing things that I enjoy.
    I have never seen a Peace Dollar that I did not like!!