Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question regarding Player Registry - 1997 Topps ProShooters Checklists (POPPAGE - PSA 10 GEM MINT!)

I will first of all say that I don't know much about the Player Set Registry. I am in the process of sending in a 1997 ProShooters Checklist #1 to PSA. It has 30 players pictured on the front. These cards are very, very scarce. High grade ones are even more scarce because of the way they were packaged. You would think that most of them would be in nice condition because they are from 1997, but that is not the case. They were packaged along with 2 round marbles, so most have bends, creases, and dings coming right out of the pack. However, I have one that is very high grade, in my opinion.

The current PSA Population Report shows that there has only been one Checklist #1 graded and zero Checklist #2. The only Checklist #1 that has been graded was a PSA 9.

My question is this - does / can this card count in any of the Player Registries? On the flip, there is no player name...only Checklist #1 or Checklist #2. I know that player collectors desire this card, but do Player Registry participants desire it even though no name is on the flip? Can this card count toward any of the 30 players pictured on it? Would someone educate me on this? Thanks.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Shane-

I think that's a hard one, and I don't know if that question has come up before.

When a checklist just has a list of names, it cannot be included on the Player Registry.

When a checklist features a picture of a single player, and then has a list of names, it can be included on the Player Registry.

I think the best example here is the 1968 Topps Plaks checklists -- which have six players pictured on each side, so the two checklists have a total of twenty-four players picture. I believe that *is* included on the player set registry. But that has names clearly listed out.

These checklists are just pictures of a bunch of marbles, without a name listed, and there are 30 players picture per checklist. So I'm guessing likely not on the player registry. But I don't think it is an easy to codify, 100% answer

m
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Plaks checklist is a pretty good comparison. I have the NL one for my Cardinals collection. You are partially correct about the names. There are no names underneath the player's picture, but there are names on the back on the ProShooters Checklists.

Shane

• Options
    Wow, they do sell for good money. I didn't even know this set existed.

Not really a checklist, but I would think the 1993 Topps Black Gold Winner cards would be a good comparison. It looks like those can be added so I don't see why the ProShooters CL couldn't be.

Lee
  • Options
    CU hiccup.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, they do sell for good money. I didn't even know this set existed.

Not really a checklist, but I would think the 1993 Topps Black Gold Winner cards would be a good comparison. It looks like those can be added so I don't see why the ProShooters CL couldn't be.

Lee >>

That's another good comparison....Same with 1994 Topps Black Gold Winner cards.

Shane

• Options
    Cha-ching!

The grade for my 1997 Topps ProShooters Checklist #1 (featuring Derek Jeter and Ken Griffey, Jr, along with 28 other players) has popped...............PSA 10 GEM MINT!

Mine is the first PSA 10. I own a handful of both checklists, and all of them have creases or bends....this is not only a rare card, but a condition rarity because of them being packed with 2 round marbles.

I am still trying to find out my original question - is the card / can this card be in any of the player registries?

Shane

• Options
    dytch2220dytch2220 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭
    Sweet, congrats on the GEM! I wasn't aware of these marbles' existence, thanks for bringing to light.
    The N8 Collection: PSA Registry Sets & Showcases
  • Options

<< <i>Sweet, congrats on the GEM! I wasn't aware of these marbles' existence, thanks for bringing to light. >>

You almost have to be a hard core team, player, or set collector. They are in the SCD Standard Catalog. That is how I knew about them. I still need the Ron Gant Marble to complete a Cardinals team set.

Any idea about the player registry question? I know nothing about the player registry.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>Any idea about the player registry question? I know nothing about the player registry. >>

I think this card could be added to player set registries, especially because they are pictured and named on the card. If you intend to sell the card I would personally add it to inventory and then request to add it to the player registry for everyone on the card and wait for a response from PSA before consignment or posting on eBay.
  • Options

<< <i>You almost have to be a hard core team, player, or set collector. >>

I agree, hardcore player collecting leads to discovery. I learned a lot chasing Bo.
  • Options
    What do you mean by "add it to inventory"? Does that have something to do with the set registry?

Shane

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    In short, you would need to start a registry set of one of the players and then make a request to add the card through the online system. Then one of the registry admins will either add it for you, ask for additional pics/info, or deny your request. You can email them and plead your case if they deny it, but it usually won't do any good.

Lee
  • Options
    Thanks, Lee. Makes sense.

I would want it for either the Derek Jeter or Ken Griffey registries. I am wondering also since there are no names on the flip, will they turn it down for that reason? I would think that if it could go on one player's registry, it should be able to go on the other 29 player's registries.

Shane

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    It may or may not matter that there are no names, the rules are often arbitrary. The registry process is not as streamlined as you'd expect- you can start a Jeter set and request it to be added. Even if it is added to the Jeter set, someone from the Griffey registry would also need to request it to be added in order for it to show up there.

• Options
    I just talked to a representative at PSA and I have some good news. It looks like this card will qualify to be added to a players set registry. I just need to start a Jeter registry and a Griffey registry and submit the request with scans. The lady even looked up my checklists on eBay to see what they look like and she agreed that it would qualify. Thanks for all the help guys.

Shane

• Options
    I hope this isn't looked down on by some, but this is what I am looking to do in order to maximize my sale of this card. I would like to add this card to a few player registries but I'm wondering about something. When a card is added to a player set registry do the participants receive some sort of notification of the addition? In other words when I add this card to the player set registry if people do not know it is been added it might not do me any good.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>I hope this isn't looked down on by some, but this is what I am looking to do in order to maximize my sale of this card. I would like to add this card to a few player registries but I'm wondering about something. When a card is added to a player set registry do the participants receive some sort of notification of the addition? In other words when I add this card to the player set registry if people do not know it is been added it might not do me any good. >>

I wouldn't worry about someone else's opinion on this, how do you feel about it? Anyone who wants you to profit less from selling your property when you are acting ethically is giving you bad advice. Why shouldn't you try to reach as many interested collectors as possible to notify them of your collectible for sale?

No - collectors are not notified of the additional entry, however, many of them check regularly. Also, if you list with PWCC they pay PSA (I'm assuming) to send an e-mail to all registry participants when a card that is empty in your set or is an upgrade comes to auction. I'm not a PWCC sales person, but I know they do this and don't know if/which other consignment places do this.
  • Options

<< <i>I just talked to a representative at PSA and I have some good news. It looks like this card will qualify to be added to a players set registry. I just need to start a Jeter registry and a Griffey registry and submit the request with scans. The lady even looked up my checklists on eBay to see what they look like and she agreed that it would qualify. Thanks for all the help guys. >>

It seems like you may have gotten what you need from PSA with regards to the how-to. If you get stuck feel free to PM and I'll give you some pointers.

-Nate