Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

‘First’ silver dollar realizes $23,772 in Künker auction - 1486 silver guldiner struck at Hall

Comments

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy moly. An EF specimen.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems ridiculously cheap next to the 1804 US dollar, and yet I would rather have one of these than a pocketful of 1804 dollars.

I agree it is a worthy dream coin. I saw one in a museum once.

I cannot say, "one day I will own one", unfortunately.

One thing I find interesting is the modern 4 in the date. Most other dated coins from the 1400s have that little curlicue 4 that looks like one of those breast cancer awareness or "support the troops" ribbons.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, just realized I own one. Sorry about this - Guldiner
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    A sharp example indeed. Examples hit the german auction houses periodically but the prices have certainly climbed in recent years.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, just realized I own one.

Perfectly understandable. After all, it only graded 67.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that coin image

On a related note.....

How is Kunker Coins to deal with? I found a coin I'm interested in on their website, but I'm hesitant since they're outside the United States. Are they good to deal with internationally?

Steve
  • Options
    Quality service, superb coins and as a result top hammer prices..
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually, just realized I own one.

Perfectly understandable. After all, it only graded 67. >>

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Zohar wrote is on the money.
  • Options
    I have made several Kunker purchases over the past 7 years and have been thrilled with every one.
  • Options
    A year and change later, I had an opportunity to acquire an original, problem free, Guldiner - background here - WIKI

A major milestone for me in scarcity and amount spent on a coin, yet it also reinforces my belief that we can all achieve our goals if driven by passion - personal, professional and numismatic! While it does not bear the same eye appeal of the MS-67 Restrike quality that I have, its an awesome addition to the collection!

EVP allocated valuable time at the show to look at the lots as well as provide insight on quality, price and strategy, spending time along with my at the live Stacks auction. I am thankful.

• Options
    Mazel tov.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! Great way to start off the new year.

Very cool coin and excellent acquisition. The price was reasonable as well, which always help digest such purchases.

I was seated behind you and you guys were like expectant mothers. I figured something was up.
  • Options
    zompelszompels Posts: 215 ✭✭
    thats a Great Issue Z .Congrats!!
  • Options
    I was seated behind you and you guys were like expectant mothers. I figured something was up.

That pretty much captures it. I guess we rushed out all thrilled afterward missing an opportunity to introduce ourselves. I will be there with my daughter today, in case you see me please say hi!

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
  • Options

Happy you came aware with it Z. Huge milestone for the taler collection. I think this is a solid example. I would have loved to been there to see it unfold. The comments from pruebas certainly made me smile.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Z, that's a great coin.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great to see you Zohar- congrats on the addition.

I enjoyed the discussion we had- and seeing some of your Austrian Dups.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow!

I did not realize you meant THAT Guldiner when you mentioned it last week.

I second all the comments above..congrats!

Expectant mothers! LOL
  • Options
    Pruebas - your comment makes me chuckle. If you were a fly on the wall near us as we were discussing all sorts of hither and thither about the 1486 1G, you'd probably get a big laugh. Z was very nervous (this is expected and normal, because this was a HUGE deal for him). He knew that I also wanted the coin but I was happy to live vicariously through his success on this one piece. Z deserves all his accomplishment in this collecting area 110%.

Anyway, we had it priced accurately, but Z didn't know if he can afford to go that high. As luck would have it, the underbidder priced the coin same as we did (a much higher $$ than the hammer price), but exceeded his comfort level at around the $11K mark. (To those who weren't there: at that point, the action had slowed down dramatically because I assume the phone bidder was stressing up major ulcers.) Z looked at me unsure if he should bid over the phone bidder (Z was also over his comfort level), and I nodded. Those few moments when we were waiting for the phone bidder to drop out seemed like a bloody eternity to us.

Heh.

Did you see how happy Sarah (the blond SB lady in the back of the room) was for us?

Before that, we were convinced that Z would lose out. We saw Herr Rauch in the room and our hearts sank. We saw so many potential competitors there. We even started to plan a contingency, consolation, course of action: what should Z buy on Saturday to get over his Friday evening disappointment. We had a handful of coins selected for his consolation prize (all great stuff, btw).

Thankfully we didn't need to act on Z's consolation plans.

EVP

• Options
    EVP - you pretty much captured it and the real question would have been whether to go a step up had I been outbid. These were indeed very long seconds where the auctioneer professionally tried to get the most out of this. Given where Stacks lots are selling tonight, I feel even better about the purchase.

Some prices are beyond rhyme or reason especially given limited eye appeal on some. I will write up my show/market observations and disparities between show/dealer prices vs. auction.

1607 Alsace Taler NGC MS-64 - Hammer at $2400

1607 Hungary Taler NGC MS-63 - Hammer at $2400

1848-M Lombardy-Venetia 5 Lire NGC MS-65 - Hammer at $2,800

HUNGARY. Taler, 1622-KB. Ferdinand II (1619-37) NGC MS-64 - Hammer at $2,800
  • Options
    Z - one more bid would've been $14K to you (because you got it at $12K). That would've been a very serious decision, since it was exceeding our line in the sand... Glad it never came to that decision point. Now you can walk around town with some serious strut. image

EVP

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Zohar! This coin embodies a major numismatic milestone both in history in general and now in your collection. Kudos to you and the other fine folks who participated.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, gotta have piece for your collection. Gotta love it when a plan comes together (and actually works out!) Congrats.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: EVillageProwler

Mazel tov.

+1111. Congrats man. You got your white whale! I appreciate the reminder about work ethic, values, and goal-setting. You earned it, no doubt.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE