Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1903 Parlor Baseball game with a little history

I know someone on this board collects old games so I decided to share mine. This was given to Raynor Whitney for christmas 1914 by Mrs. Shearer (written on back of the board in pencil). Raynor was my wifes grandfather and is a descendant of Eli Whitney. It's in good shape but only has 5 green pegs.
That second photo has a lot of glare but the inscription is very legible.

Paul

Updated second photo which is the back of the board, per Mike's request. 1-9-15

Comments

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Very cool!

I've been looking into board games since the recent thread that shared this game Win A Card.

Un-sports related (unless fantasy is considered a sport?) just a couple hours ago I picked up this 1981 Dark Tower game for $2.00. It sells for a pretty good penny, but I think I'll keep it.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Paul

That's one of the cool games from the turn of the century.

I have a copy but we're not sure if the box I have is original - we think not.

I was happy to pick it up with the instruction booklet. If you're interested in a net copy, I'll scan it and PM it to you?

The game comes in 4 different versions. I have only the one - one is very colorful and I hope to pick it up some time in the future.

Here's the more colorful cover:

and here's a more "colorful" version of the game board:

I'm gonna quit for now - I'm watching the Dallas game and they're behind.
    Mike
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm gonna quit for now - I'm watching the Dallas game and they're behind. >>

You fixed it, Mike..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm gonna quit for now - I'm watching the Dallas game and they're behind. >>

You fixed it, Mike.. >>

Things look up now Tim!

To add:

Here's a copy of the patent:

The game is played with 1 die. I noticed that the one that Paul shows is a "regular" die. I fear that the original one is missing and someone replaced it. The problem is that it doesn't match the die that comes in terms of the "mechanism of play."

The results on the die from the game:

1 - single
    2 - double
    3 - triple
    HR - home run
    O - out
    O - out

It even says in the instructions that the mechanism of play doesn't mirror regular baseball and is "designed" to give large numbers - game collectors refer to them as "football score" baseball games.

To play the game - just substitute the 4 for HR and 5/6 for Out.

edit: Paul - can you get a better pic of the inscription - it's really nice to see something handed down from 100 years ago. Thanx for sharing.
    Mike
  • Mike,

Sorry this reply is so late. I don't get a chance to logon very often. Here is another photo of the of the back, this one is a little clearer.

Paul

• Fixed photobucket link to display corrected photo.