Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A coin that spoke to me

Alexander the Great staters are popular coins but very available due to the size of their mintage, so I tend to only briefly look at them when they come up for sale, with no serious interest as I already own a good example of the larger and rarer distater type.

A recent auction had a very wide selection of them so I paid a bit closer attention than normal. There are 349 known varieties of Alexander the Great staters and only 11 distaters. Aesthetically, the staters vary considerably and upon seeing an example described as "exceptionally well detailed and of wonderfully delicate style", I took a more serious look.

I was immediately deeply attracted to the coin. I've bought and sold several of them in the past and was reasonably well aware of the range in artistry but this example stood considerably above the others in my eyes. I spent a fair amount of time going through auction archives looking for better coins and didn't find any which jumped out to the extent as this one, so I decided I needed to go after it, and happily managed to acquire it precisely at my max bid.

It isn't a cheap coin but it isn't horribly expensive compared to many ancient coins, but I find myself looking at it disproportionately often, especially the reverse, because of the talent of the engraver.

Post the coins that "spoke" to you!
Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    It is engraved with a sensitivity and elegance that most coins, ancient or modern, are lacking.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have one of the finest eye for quality I have seen in numismatics. It is non compromising and the results are self evident. Funds on their own do not accomplish this.

Exquisite coin. While not being a "gold" person, I have been looking for one myself, yet this as nice as it gets. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    a masterpiece image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options

<< <i>You have one of the finest eye for quality I have seen in numismatics. It is non compromising and the results are self evident. Funds on their own do not accomplish this.

Exquisite coin. While not being a "gold" person, I have been looking for one myself, yet this as nice as it gets. Thanks for sharing. >>

What Zohar said!

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with all three of the previous comments (edit- four) and that would be a dream coin for me.

I'd post a coin that "spoke" to me, but most of them do, in one way or another, and it would be hard to choose which spoke loudest.

They all have different voices and speak in different tongues.

Some sing, though. The one you just posted certainly does.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    That is a lovely example.
  • Options
    It is difficult to find new superlatives for your coins, SmEagle image. This one certainly is worthy of your collection.

Like LordM said-- many coins have spoken to me but this one was by far the loudest. I'm still a bit deaf from the shouting image

SICILY, Syracuse. Agathokles (317-289 BCE)
    310-305 BCE

AR tetradrachm, 17.40 g, 24 mm
    Obv: head of the nymph Arethusa left, wearing grain wreath, earring and necklace; around, three dolphins; under, monogram (NK?)
    Rev: ΣYPAKOΣIΩN, fast chariot charioteer leads to left, holding reins and kentron; above, triskeles; in exergue, monogram
    Ref: Ierardi 9; SNG Copenhagen 573 var., SNG ANS 637

The story of its acquisition is here.
  • Options
    TIF2, that one also sings.

Very melodically, I might add.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunners, guys. Absolute stunners.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Oh baby!image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I think this may be the most fantastic ancient I've ever seen. I can't find a single flaw, and all details are exquisite and the lettering (which usually gives me trouble) is crisp and easy to discern. Enjoy it in good health!!!!!!!

Here is a coin that spoke to me, and which has an ancient theme … though not nearly as cool as yours …

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    This coin I got from you spoke to me rather loudly. image

Aethelred's old signature coin spoke to me 20 years ago, when he first showed it to me. Imagine my delight when it came to live with me last summer.

(Not without me giving up my Nero "Space Shuttle" dupondius and my Judaea Capta and some other ancients, but it was a win-win swap.)

This one is my third favorite from the Box of 20. By contrasting Phil Arnold's TrueView image of the coin with my basic scan of the slab, you can sort of "read between the lines" to get an idea of how it looks, but I think it would really take a short video clip to reveal how flashy the mirrors are on this piece.

These are the ones of mine that sing most sweetly to me, but I love 'em all, and like I said, there is a lot of stuff that speaks to me in a variety of voices. Maybe that's why I've gone "eclectic" in my latest pursuit.

• Options
    That Perseus has magnificent rainbow tones! The hair seems to be flowing. And it came from … SmEagle. Zohar is right. One of the finest eyes for quality!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    Yep. A Smeagle pedigree is something to have, and will be well known in the next generation, I think. Especially after the book comes out. image

• Options
    Smeagle book? image this calls for a Smeagol bookend!

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonderful!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Interesting and lovely group of coins. Each makes a personal statement. I fear I can't narrow it down to one or two, increasingly I buy just those that "speak" I guess. But this baroque reformed mezzo piastre always makes me smile. Simple base design but executed by a master:

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful historical coin.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes you are correct the coin has spoken - and spoken to me it had.
    It clearly told me plans for the two of us.
    As in myself and your jewel!
    So simply us the address I PM'd you just now, and hurry it over to me sir!

Lord that Drachm is a stunner!
  • Options
    I have never seen or realized how beautiful these coins can be.
    I am in aw
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options

<< <i>I have never seen or realized how beautiful these coins can be.
    I am in aw >>

I was never a fan of ancients until I joined this forum and had some looks. When your coins are so lovely that they grab the attentions of non-[ancients] collectors, you know you've achieved greatness.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kind words and really enjoyed the other coins in the thread as well.

<< <i>I think this may be the most fantastic ancient I've ever seen. I can't find a single flaw, and all details are exquisite and the lettering (which usually gives me trouble) is crisp and easy to discern. Enjoy it in good health!!!!!!!

Here is a coin that spoke to me, and which has an ancient theme … though not nearly as cool as yours …
    >>

LochNESS - I might have to get one of those myself... I think it is ancient enough to avoid branding me as a collector of modern coins image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks everyone! I appreciate the kind words and really enjoyed the other coins in the thread as well.

<< <i>I think this may be the most fantastic ancient I've ever seen. I can't find a single flaw, and all details are exquisite and the lettering (which usually gives me trouble) is crisp and easy to discern. Enjoy it in good health!!!!!!!

>>

LochNESS - I might have to get one of those myself... I think it is ancient enough to avoid branding me as a collector of modern coins image >>

I like a lot of the modern Greek coins with ancient "throwback" designs. Really, you can't blame them for reliving past glories, as the Mexicans do with their Aztec/Mayan motifs, and the Italians have done with Roman designs.

My grandmother went to Greece in 1973, and brought me some coins. I didn't become a collector until 1976, but for years I kept one of the coins she brought me. It was a 1973 1-drachma coin with the ancient Athenian owl on the reverse. You know the type. That was my "lucky coin". I was an avid Monopoly player in my youth and always used the little owl coin as my token. My friends used to slam their little metal dogs and racecars and shoes down on it when they went past me to land on Boardwalk. image

• Options
    Thanks guys. I definitely like this approach more than the US Mint's method of simply reissuing the original coin, as was done with the St Gaudens UHR and recently with the Kennedy halves (in Ag and Au).

When my sister and I played Monopoly as kids we called her "moneybags." She always insisted on being banker, and hoarded the $1 notes because she was too young to understand that denomination was more important than the quantity of paper (ex: she preferred ten $1 over a single $50 note). She would stuff the $1 in her pockets and tramp around the room image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin indeed!