Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Possible big time ticket pick-up from E-bay

So here is the story so far..............

I saved this ticket to my watch list last week after a quick glance. A couple of nights ago I noticed the auction was winding down so I clicked to give it one last look if I wanted to bid or delete it from my watch list. It was at this time I noticed the ticket had been torn between the days date on the ticket. Instead of the ticket's date showing September 2, it read September twenty something. I thought to myself, surely I can not be this lucky. I frantically started researching dates throughout the 1950's and early 60's for Browns & Giants games played in September, I even researched pre-season and the only date I could find where the two teams played in September was September 29, 1957. So, I bid and won the ticket stub for $12, If I am correct it was a big time E-bay pick-up. If anyone has any further knowledge of Browns tickets from this era feel free to let me know. For reference a PSA graded ticket is below the ticket I won, currently it is listed on E-bay for $1500.

Comments

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    Wooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

I think you may have scored!
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huge pickup, congrats!!
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

I think you may have scored! >>

Agree congrats!!
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. I certainly hope that is the case. One question that remains in my mind is the ticket price on the ticket I won to the ticket in the PSA slab. I rationalized that this had to be because of the "Upper Stand" to "Lower Stand" designation, as other Browns tickets from this era for the same year are priced differently because of this as well.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks guys. I certainly hope that is the case. One question that remains in my mind is the ticket price on the ticket I won to the ticket in the PSA slab. I rationalized that this had to be because of the "Upper Stand" to "Lower Stand" designation, as other Browns tickets from this era for the same year are priced differently because of this as well. >>

I agree, there's probably more higher stand tickets out there than lower, but I don't think that should be too much of a factor, if any, in the value.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks guys. I certainly hope that is the case. One question that remains in my mind is the ticket price on the ticket I won to the ticket in the PSA slab. I rationalized that this had to be because of the "Upper Stand" to "Lower Stand" designation, as other Browns tickets from this era for the same year are priced differently because of this as well. >>

I agree, there's probably more higher stand tickets out there than lower, but I don't think that should be too much of a factor, if any, in the value. >>

And that is one thing that is still questionable in my mind. Why would the ticket designated "Upper Stand" be more expensive than one designated "Lower Stand" ?
    I don't know the layout of the old Cleveland Stadium, but you would think tickets in the "Upper Stand would be less expensive than ones in the "Lower Stand. It could be the "lower Stand" ticket is an End Zone ticket or something.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>And that is one thing that is still questionable in my mind. Why would the ticket designated "Upper Stand" be more expensive than one designated "Lower Stand" ?
    I don't know the layout of the old Cleveland Stadium, but you would think tickets in the "Upper Stand would be less expensive than ones in the "Lower Stand. It could be the "lower Stand" ticket is an End Zone ticket or something. >>

Barry ... that was the first thing I noticed when I looked at the tickets.

Let's hope:

1. Your "Upper" was on the 50 yard line and the "Lower" was in the end zone (although I doubt that since the section numbers are so close) and
    2. The guy selling the one on eBay has some idea of the value of that stub.

GOOD LUCK. Let us know what you find out.

Edited to add: I just went thru the NY GIANTS schedule from 1940 thru 1970. I looked at EVERY game they played in September. There were only two games where they played in Cleveland in September:

09-29-57 and 09-16-62. Keeping my fingers crossed it's from '57.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Thanks Doug.

I don't see the ticket listed on E-bay selling for it's list price, but I do feel it is a ticket that holds significant historical value. If the ticket listed sells for even half of it's current list price that would be a significant price over what I paid for mine if it proves legit.

The seating designation is still a question that I need answered, but I have yet to find a game where the Browns and Giants played in September during this era except for Sept 29, 1957.

• Options

<< <i>Thanks Doug. But I have yet to find a game where the Browns and Giants played in September during this era except for Sept 29, 1957. >>

Barry - Here is part of an article about the 1962 game.

Browns' 3 Pass Thefts Win, 17-7
    Browns 17, New York Giants 7
    Cleveland Municipal Stadium
    September 16, 1962
    By Chuck Heaton
    Plain Dealer Reporter

The Browns came up with the big plays yesterday before a tremendous throng of 81,115 fans at the stadium to get off to a rousing start in the National Football League race.

Three pass interceptions and a pair of very unusual maneuvers by that new look offense provided the difference as they topped the New York Giants, 17-7, before the all-time largest Cleveland opening day audience.

It was only the second victory over New York in the last 10 meetings for Paul Brown's club, which underwent a major overhauling since last season. Achievement came only after a bruising battle in which the winners seemed stronger at the finish.

JIM BROWN was at his blasting best on this warm, bright day on the lakefront. The all-pro fullback ripped 9 yards off left tackle for the first quarter score and accumulated 134 yards on 17 carries.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Yes, I saw the 62 match-up,However, Browns tickets in 62 looked totally different, and the game was played Sept 16, which I immediately discounted because my ticket day did have Sept 2? showing.

• Options
    Here are two tickets from the 1954 season. One is a lower stands and one is an upper stands. Notice the upper stands ticket is 1$ more than the lower stands ticket. Just like the difference in the ticket I have from the upper stand ticket in the PSA holder. Sorry for the blurry lower stands picture, but I pulled it from a larger group of tickets on e-bay.

• Options

<< <i>the game was played Sept 16, which I immediately discounted because my ticket day did have Sept 2? showing. >>

BINGO! My mind is made up now ... I say you just bought THE ticket!!!! Keep us informed.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    It appears from doing extensive searches on E-bay that the Lower Stand tickets are harder to find than the Upper Stand variety. If someone comes across an old seating chart from Cleveland Municipal Stadium or knows from attending games there it would be very helpful.

• Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>the game was played Sept 16, which I immediately discounted because my ticket day did have Sept 2? showing. >>

BINGO! My mind is made up now ... I say you just bought THE ticket!!!! Keep us informed. >>

Wait Doug I thought you attended the game as a high school graduation gift?? image
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options

<< <i>Wait Doug I thought you attended the game as a high school graduation gift?? image >>

No JR, it was for my college graduation! image
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Thought I'd browse the board and lookup ticket threads. It's been awhile.
    Barry this pickup popped out at me, any follow up to the results? Did you eventually get it into a PSA case?

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    Hey Martin,

No the ticket still resides in a card saver in my ticket box along with all my others. I came to the conclusion that the ticket was legit, but haven't decided to put in the PSA slab yet. I guess I could use the recent "Special" to send it in if anyone else would let me piggy back.

• Options
    very nice, congrats
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    Thanks Rick.

• Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Barry - that's just way too cool.

Congratulations - couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike,

I had actually forgotten about it until Martin brought it up. Seems like the thread is getting more attention now than when I first posted.

The nice guy thing I'm not so sure about.