Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Discuss

1953-P Lincoln Cent.... $1,880 PCGS-MS67RD last night at auction
1953-P Lincoln Cent.... $14,100 PCGS-MS67RD beginning of year at Heritage FUN

Discuss.

Wondercoin
Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1953-P Lincoln Cent.... $1,880 PCGS-MS67RD last night at auction
    1953-P Lincoln Cent.... $14,100 PCGS-MS67RD beginning of year at Heritage FUN

Discuss.

Wondercoin >>

Either one was overpriced or one was underpriced.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • I agree that either it sold for fair market price last night or the earlier example had something going for it. The price difference may be explained buy the timing of the two major auctions or lack of reserves place on it. Regardless if one was collecting 1953 MS67 RD CAC or not last nights winning bid was a sharp bid. The population reports show MS67s are currently the highest graded. There are several that have now been CAC'd as well. The "Red" is the premium color a penny needs to be graded with but there may also be a addition twist thrown in there too. "IF" CAC would ever grade 1953 MS67 Red with a "Gold" bean then you would have a much better chance that the coin would end up in a MS67+ or maybe a MS68 holder one day. You would have to study the surfaces to judge it for yourself. Me - I collect other types of coins but I would have to try and see as many MS67 examples as I could to determine if one of them has a better than 50/50 chance of upgrading. After all thats where the rubber meets the road and a potential set has a chance to improve. MWH
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coinman - I lot viewed the $14,100 coin at that FUN show and it was OK for the grade. But, you can assume for purposes of this "discussion" that the quality of the coins had very little to do with the varying prices from the beginning of this year to the 4th quarter.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    More than 2 affluent people were interested in the coin in Q1, apparently less interest in the coin in Q4. Fortunately for the seller in Q1 there was more interest than for the seller in Q4.

One of the challenges/risks in collecting the finest of anything...more downside risk than upside benefit.
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

One of the challenges/risks in collecting the finest of anything...more downside risk than upside benefit. >>

Steveimage
  • I've seen neither of the MS67RDs in hand but I've seen a lot of MS66RDs. The images don't how me anything special about either of them. I'm happy with my 53 in 66RD at a fraction of the price! Here's hoping my 1953 rolls will turn up a MS67RD whenever I get around to searching them.

David
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    it's that old nemesis called gradeflation is it not?
    "Not much to discuss."

Well, I agree on the supply side, but there is certainly things to discuss on the demand side as well - right?

Wondercoin
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps when collectors see the growth on the supply side they start second guessing, and begin to have doubts about whether or not these things are as rare as they previously believed, and are unwilling to pay up for a coin that looses value with each new example graded. Thus the demand drops sharply.
  • The pops on these Phili MS67RDs aren't going up at any significant rate. I've checked out a few of the online pics and believe some of these have been offered around before selling on Heritage. I can't see any longtime collector just reaching out and deciding this was the one to fill the hole in the collection, unless its the last of a couple needed to complete a large set. If it isn't at the same quality as the other MS67RD's in my set, I'd be happy to see it find an owner besides me.
    David
    "The pops on these Phili MS67RDs aren't going up at any significant rate."

Perfectstrike. If memory serves me right, around this time last year, the 1953-P MS67RD was a pop 4/0 coin. About a year later it is pop 14/0. So, that does seem significant to me.

Wondercoin
  • You're right Wondercoin. I didn't realize the pop was that low so recently. That does make a difference about deciding on the right time to get one into your collection. That might explain why there are were some better MS66RD's on the market at the same time. The MS66RD pop is up too.

David
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Were these two coins created equally? Could PCGS consistently grade MS67RD cents? If the answer is YES, then either demand/supply was changed or one is over-priced and the other one could be under-priced. To me, there could be more than 4 collectors are going after pop top only Lincoln cents but I highly doubt there are 15 Lincoln cent collectors are doing so now.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
    UPDATE...

1953-P Lincoln Cent.... $1,880 PCGS-MS67RD (11/07/14)

1953-P Lincoln Cent.... $14,100 PCGS-MS67RD beginning of 2014 at Heritage FUN

1953-P Lincoln Cent..... $1,645 PCGS-MS67RD (03/01/15 Heritage)

Wondercoin
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Hydrant

It's really quite simple. The person who bought it for $14,100 is very wealthy ( or was before he bought it) and doesn't care what he spends. The guy probably overpays for everything and enjoys doing it. You gotta love it. You know what they say...A fool and money are easily parted. He's most likely also a fun guy to hangout with. Enjoys life, that sort of thing.

That only works if you make the exact same claims against the underbidders.
    Manofcoins... Grade inflation is killing demand (as you said) And supply!

Speaking of the 54-s .... The MS68 pop 1 was a coin I had zero interest to add to my set even a decade ago when it was made (and sold for peanuts at auction). Gradeflation is not a new concept ... 54-s proves that in all grades! Just my two cents. Wondercoin
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    For me it was 2 Fools and their money wanting to get rid of it.
  • winkywinky Posts: 1,671
    I just don't see it myself but then I don't collect penny's, thank Heaven.