Home Sports Talk
Options

Interesting Article on Shorstops and the HOF

markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
http://regressing.deadspin.com/two-unrecognized-hall-of-fame-shortstops-1640079170

Snippet:

The BBWAA has voted in just six post-integration players who either played most of their games or had their most valuable seasons at shortstop 1: Luis Aparacio, Ernie Banks, Barry Larkin, Cal Ripken, Jr., Ozzie Smith, and Robin Yount. So it seems there have been three different ways for a shortstop to get voted into the Hall of Fame by the BBWAA.

1. Reach a career batting milestone (3,000 hits or 500 pre-steroid-era home runs) that guarantees induction regardless of what position you played.

2. Amass more innings at short than any of your peers at short and own a reputation as the outstanding fielding shortstop of your time.

3. Retire with a career batting average near .300.

Comments

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Well we know Jeter will be voted in on the first ballot and added to that group. We are almost equally sure due to his public persona and several off the field issues that A-Rod will not be getting in. If Troy Tulowitski can stay healthy and play for 8 more years he will be much talked about and given some consideration.

I think because shortstop is such a demanding position that voters need to give some margin for a players offensive performance. You need range, a good arm, cat like reflexes, be able to make some over the shoulder catches in short center and left field, be able to scoop up a ball bare handed and throw accurately to first in one fluid motion, turn two when the ball is hit to second, and do all these things consistently without making errors.

If a shortstop played well defensively, but ended his career with a good OPS and say 2700+ hits and didn't play in a park where hits came by the dozen each game, I would probably vote him in. He would also need to be a reasonably good citizen and not get into too much trouble off the field. I know some people think that a player's eligibility should be confined to what he does on the field, but in my opinion if a player has marginal numbers and is involved in too many domestic disputes, bar fights, shootings, ped's, etc. then he shouldn't be enshrined. There will always be other players that will come along and do things the right way and give back to the fans and the communities that supported them throughout their careers.

I would also view the position of catcher in much the same light. Playing catcher is taxing on the body that it is remarkable a player can still run or be productive offensively after 10 years at the position. Imagine being a catcher for 10 years and trying to beat out grounders to first. You would probably feel like you have no chance on any ball that is fielded cleanly. For many years 1st base was the position an older player could be moved to so he could finish out his career, but in the modern era a good defensive 1st baseman often times out weighs the offensive production by an older player. So a lot of old catchers will need to come off the bench or move over to the American league to play DH for their last few years of baseball. Catchers pay a heavy price and more of them should be looked upon favorably for the HOF.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    If you look at the top SS not in the Hall, using WAR(which IMO WAR tends to overrate SS, 2B, C, and anyone who's value is derived primarily from their defensive portion of the measurement), you have the following players:

Trammell 70

Tejada 47
    Rollins 45
    Vizquel 45
    Tony Fernandez 45
    Nomar 44

Concepcion 40
    Furcal 39
    Tulo 38
    Hanley 37
    Reyes 36

Looking at that list, there really isn't anyone worthy of being in the Hall(not counting active players that still could get in), as there are plenty of other guys from other positions that were better, and still not in the Hall either.

Trammel is the only guy a case could be made for.

PS, the offensive WAR isn't great either...their are other measurements more accurate. I simply ranked them via WAR here since that is the measurement that would give SS the highest possible value.