Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Smoebody just got the second 1953-S Franklin graded MS66FBL!

Who is the lucky SOB?

My guess is that it was a previously graded 65fbl that got upgraded... what with all the gradeflation that is occurring in the Franklin series...

Comments

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Gradeflation? I don't know how many coins you've submitted this year but from where I sit (about 80 coins) I can tell you in 2014 they are grading as conservative as I've seen in the last decade. Right now is a great time to buy freshly graded coins because a) the market is slow so coins are cheap, and b) most freshly graded coins are conservative or undergraded...so a great time to buy/hold and then submit for upgrades later. I feel guilty because I've won so many freshly graded coins at sometimes 1/2 my max bid, and submit to CAC and get a green bean.

Anyhow from where I sit I don't see any gradeflation on freshly graded material.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    The pop reports say otherwise my friend.

A few years ago there were only 3 or 4 1953-S Franks in MS 67. Currently there are TWELVE! So in contrasting the first 25 yrs of PCGS grading with the last 3yrs., there has been exponential growth.

Need I say more? Other dates have experienced similar population growth. Get your head out of the sand. Your comments sound to be based on your own submission results, as opposed to the entire populations.
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    There was a MS65+ FBL that is no longer in the pops... further reenforcement that it was likely an upgrade.