Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

More fun with images (Papal States)

Please indulge me as I try to perfect my imaging using my iPhone and PSE. For these images, I had to hold the slabs in my hand and stand in direct sunlight to insure that I get the colors as opposed to lifeless brown discs.

The first coin is a magnificent 1/2 Piastra from the papacy of Innocent XI, Anno VII (1683). KM-429. This coin has superb eye appeal, with deep original patina of blue, golden and red hues. This is easiest one of my favorite coins in my collection. I got this at the NYINC 2014 show.

The second coin is an even more magnificent Testone from the same papacy, dated 1684. KM-449. The reverse scuffs in the image is actually from the holder; otherwise, this coin is pristine and graded a whopping MS66 by our hosts. The patina on this beast is varying shades of gold, yellow and orange. I got this at the NYINC 2013 show.

This third bad boy is a Piastra from the same papacy, dated 1684. It may be a bit too deeply/darkly toned for some folks, but it has subtle shades of blue, green, red and gold suffused into the undeniably original surfaces. I got this also from the NYINC 2014 show.

I just realized that I have four coins from the Papal States, and they're all from the same papacy. (The fourth piece has been shown long ago, and professionally imaged.) Also, all four Papal States coins are from the same dealer...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    All very nice coins; from the images, I especially like the look of the testone.
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭
    Very pretty coins. The reformed coinage of Innocent doesn't have a wide variety of types, but a ton of varieties. which are a lot of fun The testone, Muntoni 83, is particularly interesting with the date above the coat of arms on the obverse. Of the 90 or so varieties of the "Melius" testone only 5 have the date so presented. These are pretty unusual and you've got a lovely example. Congrats!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • those are pretty fantastic for iPhone images, wow! image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! The 1/2 Piastra is exquisite - I see why is it a favorite. The reverse design is wonderful.

It seems like I have seen the testone before. Was it ex-CNG? MS-66 is a crazy grade for the series but certainly seems appropriate.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments.

The Testone is a tough coin not to like.

STLNATS - thanks for the info. That eases the pain from its cost.

WCG - the CNG NYINC 2014 auction had two NGC MS66 Testone specimens. I forget the papacy. Mine is a different specimen that I acquired at the NYINC 2013 show.

EVP

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    It seems like I have seen the testone before. Was it ex-CNG? MS-66 is a crazy grade for the series but certainly seems appropriate. >>

I previously showed my M83 and M88 before - 2 of the 5 front dated varieties - shortly after receiving from the January 2013 auction. Here's the link: linky Both pix are from the auction site and they have somewhat more color in hand than shown here.

These late 17th century baroque coins offer delightful varieties and often remain impressive, even in less than the excellent condition of EVP's lovely coins.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
    STLNATS - not sure if you nice pieces are slabbed by one of the top two US TPG's, but they certainly are very handsome coins. They both get the EVP sticker of approval. Your knowledge of this stuff also gets that sticker.

As an aside, I have a story about the 1 Piastra coin in this thread...

I bought it raw (raw is common at the NYINC show), deemed it an excellent coin, and paid a handsome price for it. I then put it away in my carrying case, and proceeded to walk the floor. I eventually made my way to Andy Lustig's table, where he had his usual coterie of industry friends. Decent folks they are. One of them (a collector who fancies himself an expert and part-time dealer) asks if I bought anything at the show so far. I show him my stuff, including this coin. He proceeds to poo poo it, saying he hopes I didn't pay MS money for it. He tries to convince me that he has an excellent eye because he submits about 100 (or 200, I forget) coins a year for grading.

The conversation went approximately like this:

Him: "You know me. I do this stuff a lot."

Me: Not wanting to offend, I reply with a nod and a smile. I also said: "Yes, I know you." And, I smiled some more.

This guy then handed my coin to a German dealer who is part of that coterie, and from whom I've bought many coins in the past (when I was collecting that area). The dealer pulled out a loupe and started to examine it like he was a variety expert trying to see if this was a cherry pick opportunity. He then proclaimed that it's an AU58 because of perceived rim wear. I smiled, thanked him for his opinion, and put the coin back into my pocket. Meanwhile, I was thinking that for US TPG's, micro-grading is a thing of the past. They now look at the whole coin.

Now I really started to feel awkward because these are nice folks and I didn't want to tell them that I didn't appreciate their efforts to educate a loser schmuck like me.

Andy, knowing me much better, motioned me aside from behind his table and whispered to me: "Do I trust my own skills?" Diplomatic and concise. Gotta love that Andy Lustig guy. That's second time in the past couple of years that he's given me unexpectedly wonderful advice.

I walked away happy after heard Andy's comment. Thanks, Andy, very much for your timely comments to me.

BTW, regarding that 1 Piastra, I am still smiling. Not hugely, broadly smiling. But, smiling nevertheless.

[FYI - I am largely insulated from buying raw coins from that dealer because he always want me to offer him the coins back to him if they don't grade out as expected. To this date, I have not offered him back a single coin even though not every coin has graded out to what I thought was correct (some high, some low).]

EVP

I just re-did the image for my Dav-4093, based off the ones done professionally by someone else (see above). I also re-did my Dav-4095 (below):

• TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭
    So much beautiful imagery on those! Very nice! image
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    The 1684 Piastra is my favorite. I usually don't like dark-toned coins, but that obverse portrait is my favorite of the bunch. Nice job with the pics!

I can't believe these were all taken with your iPhone. Well done sir.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭
    EVP - that piastra loooks wonderful.

<< <i>[FYI - I am largely insulated from buying raw coins from that dealer because he always want me to offer him the coins back to him if they don't grade out as expected. To this date, I have not offered him back a single coin even though not every coin has graded out to what I thought was correct (some high, some low).] >>

A sort of return policy if unhappy with the grade? May I ask why this offends?

If I bought a coin raw and it graded lower than predicted (by the seller), and I expressed dissatisfaction to the seller, and they apologized by offering to buy back the coin, I think I would appreciate their gesture.

That has never happened to me however because the grade does not affect how much I like a coin. And once I buy it, I own it and 'bite the bullets' if need be. I can tell from your posts that you feel similarly, especially about the grade being secondary.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember that "review" as I was right next to you at Andy's table. The coins bought on that early bird swoop were superb.

If they met the dealer's discriminating eye and yours that's a pretty decent filter of quality. The rest is noise.
    LochNESS - I'm not offended. Quite the opposite. I tend to buy from dealers that try to make a 2-way market and try to stand by their merchandise.

Zohar - if my memory is correct, you were the catalyst behind that noisy review. You told the first <ahem> reviewer that I bought some nice stuff. It's ok though. To be fair, I may also have mentioned them (but doubtfully given the audience at the time, because I try not to give dealers a chance to slam other dealers' stuff).

EVP

Gotcha. I get it now. I misread earlier. image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE