Home Precious Metals
Options

How Much?

BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,005 ✭✭✭✭✭
of the silver and gold that is being sold these days is new material [either from the mint or major private offerers] and how much has been around the block a time or 2? If you are a dealer [esp. one with a shop] you likely either order inventory or have it walk in the door. Anyone care to offer a guess?

Comments

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>of the silver and gold that is being sold these days is new material [either from the mint or major private offerers] and how much has been around the block a time or 2? If you are a dealer [esp. one with a shop] you likely either order inventory or have it walk in the door. Anyone care to offer a guess? >>

RE: 999 fine - We need to consider newly mined vs. recently remelt vs. true second hand but....My guesses for physical PMs sold this fall:

1. Newly mined: 2% tops. Remembering that 10% newly mined material would be an enormous amount and likely a theoretical cap.

2. The remaining 98% - at least 80% of it is second hand material (not remelts).

3. I'd be ordering if I could find 999 at melt, I can't imagine walk-ins are all that great with prices where they are.

Someone out there has to have some reliable stats for amount mined in 2014 vs. amount above ground.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Wow, amazing...
    there's billions of oz's out there, and last 3 years bullion sales was/is mostly new, whoth u think bought it all, lol... Retail... Untold millions.... And millions and times more, and millions more...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    Oh and what's it matter?... Nothing...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>of the silver and gold that is being sold these days is new material [either from the mint or major private offerers] and how much has been around the block a time or 2? If you are a dealer [esp. one with a shop] you likely either order inventory or have it walk in the door. Anyone care to offer a guess? >>

RE: 999 fine - We need to consider newly mined vs. recently remelt vs. true second hand but....My guesses for physical PMs sold this fall:

1. Newly mined: 2% tops. Remembering that 10% newly mined material would be an enormous amount and likely a theoretical cap.

2. The remaining 98% - at least 80% of it is second hand material (not remelts).

3. I'd be ordering if I could find 999 at melt, I can't imagine walk-ins are all that great with prices where they are.

Someone out there has to have some reliable stats for amount mined in 2014 vs. amount above ground.

image >>

Not quite what I was asking. How much of new manufacture [say 2014] bullion products is being bought and held as opposed to being bought and resold? Is the majority of silver at shows for example new/2014 silver or 2013 and older stuff? Are there more stackers than flippers?

• Options
    Buyin at melt, seems like a good mantra for the investor, but alas it's been a losing one...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not quite what I was asking. How much of new manufacture [say 2014] bullion products is being bought and held as opposed to being bought and resold? Is the majority of silver at shows for example new/2014 silver or 2013 and older stuff? Are there more stackers than flippers? >>

Gotcha - the election returns had me overanalyzing last night. image

Far more stackers than flippers in this environment. I was flipping almost weekly in 2009-2011 on the way up and seemingly millions were doing the same. Now we've got the 1% diehards still stacking.

Anecdotal at best but it's what I got.