Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

NGC/PCGS talers: Saxony, Lubeck, Salzburg

1559 - German States - Lubeck
Early date taler with excellent reverse details. Slight planchet stress cracks lends distinctive character to piece.
DAV-9408
NGC EF-45
$675
imageimage
imageimage

1567 – German States - Saxony
Nice strike for and deep patina for an early dated taler. Scuff on obverse at 12:00 is on plastic holder only.
DAV-9800
NGC EF-40
$625
imageimage
imageimage

1587-1612 (No Date) - Austria - Salzburg - Wolf Dietrich Raitenau
Common taler in nice condition with good surfaces and good detail.
DAV-8187
PCGS - AU-50
$400
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    ttt
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    TTT
  • Options
    This is wholesale pricing - take it to a dealer at that level.
  • Options
    Adding more talers to the list.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa!!! This is a nice grouping of everyman coins! So much character, so much history -- and many are quite scarce too.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Repriced in the event anybody has eyes for big European silver.....
  • Options
    FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Be still my heart! More stunning talers?! When it rains...it really rains! And the pics are outstanding.

Guess I'd better hustle up a reference guide or two for these bad boys so I better know what I am looking at and learning fast, at least based on the 2 other poster's comments.
  • Options
    FallGuy - thanks for the nice words. I fell into talers back in 2005 after years of collecting US coins. I started with the 1601-1801 Krause as my guide. Literally spent many hours just flipping through the hundreds of German States pages in wonder. I bought the Krause book of German coins (1501-) a couple of years ago and have also been very happy. I think those are the two best books to get you started on the theme.
  • Options
    FallGuyFallGuy Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    worldcoinguy,

thanks for the references. I've been meaning to pick up a manual on foreign coins for some time. Will begin with the 1601-1800 and dig in.

Have one for world coins and it is truly informative, but the pics are B&W and very small.

Love the coins in this BST post.
  • Options
    Prices dropped..........good value and nice eye appeal. I hate to sell, but want to put funds into different direction in the collection. PM me with questions.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll send a note to my brother (Thalermaniac at NGC). Great bunch of coins and at a good price, as well!
  • Options
    Darn duplicate post. This site is too whacky too often. image

• Options
    Darn duplicate post. This site is too whacky too often. image

• Options
    The Lubeck and early Saxony, from the 4/8 offering, are awesome coins. Both tough to get in any grade, let alone in such wholesome condition.

Opportunity knocks loudly here!

• Options
    I don't think this is the optimal place to post Talers for sale given that its just us three that like them here image
  • Options
    You are right Zohar, but in the outside chance that sombody here is interested, I would much rather sell to a forum member instead if a stranger on ebay. Might need to go to weekly HA auction?. I am not sure that is the right answer either.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You are right Zohar, but in the outside chance that sombody here is interested, I would much rather sell to a forum member instead if a stranger on ebay. Might need to go to weekly HA auction?. I am not sure that is the right answer either. >>

Well, not just 3. I have watched these since they were first posted, and agree that they look very nice are very reasonably priced. I don't usually buy sight unseen but I'll take the 1630 Saxony Thaler and the 1613 Austrian Thaler. I'll pm you. And I appreciate you posting here first.

Tom

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like TPRC liked the same two I did. And I made a swap offer for either one of the two he mentioned, but understand that cash takes precedence.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got 'em. Really nice! Seamless transaction. Thanks worldcoinguy.

Tom