Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

my raw pickups from a local card show in Seattle

I decided to hit up the semiannual Washington State Sports Collectors Association card show which was about 20 minutes from my house. This was my second time attending this show, the first time being in May. There are about 30 tables with a mix of dealers and collectors selling and exhibiting various sports collectibles, primarily cards. I'm always on the lookout for some quality vintage cards for my sets and if you look hard enough, you can uncover some hidden gems.

I picked up some cool unopened product (two 1976 Topps wax packs and a 1980 BB super pack) as well as some nice raw cards. Included scans of the raw pickup below. I'm especially happy about the 71 Banks that I found going through a stack of stars and HOFs from 71 that were mostly in ex to ex-mt condition. This Banks really stood out with it's centering and sharp corners. There are some white specs on the borders in a couple of areas and minor chipping on the right side. I also spent some time looking for tougher 70s cards that I need for my sets that are super low pop as 9s. I'm planning to sub these to PSA later this month. Thought on if any of the others have a chance at 9s?

-UPDATE 1/13/15-

1971 Banks - N6 Min Size
1975 Brooks - PSA 8
1976 Briggs - PSA 7 (i'm guessing it's due to the surface with some light scratches that look like they came from the factory, hard to see in the scan)
1976 Perry - PSA 8
1976 Yount - PSA 8
1980 Ryan - PSA 8
1978 Garvey - PSA 9
1978 Astros - PSA 8
1978 Renko - PSA 8

Ryan Hoge - PSA President, IG: @maysmantle

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pickups. The Briggs, Perry and Garvey look very strong!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    did you measure the '71 Banks? looks awfully small.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    76 Briggs is a tough one~you could have a home run on that one..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    I haven't been to that show in some time. How was it? Was it busy? Dealers willing to negotiate?

I always found the dealers at that show to have good camaraderie and generally friendly. If you are going to the summer show we should talk.

Tony
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Awesome!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree, that Banks looks way small, I pulled out my 8 and it has much meatier l-r borders.

Briggs is tough and I like your 80 ryan!!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Just measured the banks and its .5 mm narrower than it should be. I'll sub and see what happens. The Briggs is sharp, but does have some pd that is pretty common for this card.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    What Seattle show is this? I am we to the northwest and I didn't know there were shows in the area? Anybody know of shows in the Spokane/Couer D'Alene area?
    Steve
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    76 Briggs is a tough one~you could have a home run on that one..

Agreed, Briggs is normally badly OC with a terrible PD. Yours has the best centering I've seen on that card and the PD is pretty tame all things considered. I'd say it has a shot.
  • Options

<< <i>I haven't been to that show in some time. How was it? Was it busy? Dealers willing to negotiate?

I always found the dealers at that show to have good camaraderie and generally friendly. If you are going to the summer show we should talk.

Tony >>

Here's some info on the show. I've found a good selection of vintage and it attracts dealers from as far away as Oregon and Utah. Worth making the drive over for the next one in May.

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice pick ups there, congrats. I also went to this show and have gone for many years. Great people and I know some of the dealers well enough that I've gotten great deals from them. I just love talking to guys about cards and there's always something to talk about. I only had a few minutes to spare on Saturday and limited cash but was able to pick up a nice '52 Fain that upgraded the one I had and a '53 high of a local Seattle sports star Eddie O'brien. Always good cards at the Seattle show. Doug

• Options
    Recently got these back from PSA. Not super thrilled about all of these, but really can't disagree once I took a close 2nd look.

1971 Banks - N6 Min Size (still a really sharp card!)
    1975 Brooks - PSA 8
    1976 Briggs - PSA 7 (i'm guessing it's due to the surface with some light scratches that look like they came from the factory, hard to see in the scan)
    1976 Perry - PSA 8
    1976 Yount - PSA 8
    1980 Ryan - PSA 8
    1978 Garvey - PSA 9
    1978 Astros - PSA 8
    1978 Renko - PSA 8