Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Subbing thick patch cards

Anyone here familiar with sending in thick patch cards to PSA? I may send in a few but not sure they should be put in the same card savers as standard cards? Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Try this.
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Thank you.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I am getting some back tomorrow and I sent them in with card saver 4s...........
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    So does PSA send back these thicker cards in the same size slabs as regular cards. By same size I mean the length and width of the slab, I understand the depth of the slab would likely greater. Thanks, Steve.
    Steve
  • Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    Yes I just subbed a few of these thicker patch cards. They come back in the same holder just deeper.

Matt
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    So to the guys that got their thicker patch cards back in the regular sized slabs, how thick would you say your thickest one was? I ask because I have 3 cards to send in, the thickest being 7 cards thick. I want them in regular slabs and not the ridiculous modified pack holder.

Here is my thickest being 7 cards thick:

• Options
    PSA has eliminated the oversized modified pack holder. They now have a slab for thick cards that is the size of a regular holder.

This is an example of what it looks like:

ETA: Thickness doesn't impact this for normal modern cards. Even quite thick cards fit.
  • Options

<< <i>PSA has eliminated the oversized modified pack holder. They now have a slab for thick cards that is the size of a regular holder.

ETA: Thickness doesn't impact this for normal modern cards. Even quite thick cards fit. >>

Thanks!

I was aware that thicker cards were able to be slabbed in the new style holders. I just wasn't sure if there was a limit on how thick a card could be.

Edit: I also thought, that if a card was too thick that it was placed in the modified pack holder. Glad to hear they did away with those. They caused more harm than good.
  • Options
    The new holders have a lot of room in them. It's actually more of an issue the other way - they don't fit "thicker but not really thick" cards all that well because they're kind of one-size-fits-all and there's some extra room in there if your card is medium-sized.
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    be careful. i sent in 75 thick cards most with autos. i got alot of 6's and 7's. and i was pi---- off. still am. they graded them way way to hard. i will never send in the thick cards to psa again. beckett would have graded the cards at 8.5 all day long. alot of the cards were very low numbered to 5, 10 and 15. and by them grading them so low it basically erased any profit i would ever hope to get. i have graded thousands of cards with psa and this particular order was b far the worst i had ever had and the cards are in fantastic shape.

if some of our ebay buddies would have graded them you would seen 8's minimally and lots of 9's.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

<< <i>be careful. i sent in 75 thick cards most with autos. i got alot of 6's and 7's.. >>

How long ago?
  • Options
    like subbing standard sized cards, you must have some expectation management. First. you need to conduct due diligence. Thick patch and thick auto cards, especially dark colored ones from UD, tend to have many surface, corner, and edge flaws. Some are on the side of the card and difficult to see with the naked eye. I recommend a using jewler's loupe over a scanner in some cases to see these. White colored cards are the most difficult to find these flaws and I generally have poor results from those. If there are any flaws on a patch card near the open are border where the patch is showing, do not sub. It will be considered a major flaw and immediately knock it down to a 7 or 8 or worse depending upon how bad it is. Just some thoughts. PM me for more detail or to look at examples from my recent subs.
  • Options
    I would agree with Meatloaf, with the addition that most thick cards tend to be extra condition sensitive. If you're used to pre-grading a lot of regular cards, it may take a minute to adjust and I suggest that you err on the side of caution and only sub your very best while you learn the ropes. I think that's advice that is probably true of all grading, but it bears repeating.
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>be careful. i sent in 75 thick cards most with autos. i got alot of 6's and 7's.. >>

How long ago? >>

received them back in august.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!