Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1998 New Japan Pro Wrestling Inoki Memorial Card Collection

I've seen several of these sets pop up over the years and decided to take a stab at one for a good price just to see what they are. I also picked up the uncatalogued 16-card 1998 Riki Choshu Memorial Card Set, but that is still sealed and so I'll have to find an opened one to come up with a checklist for that. WTC.com has the following information on the Inoki set here.

The cards measure 3 3/8" x 4 7/8" and I did discover they are numbered per the checklist below. The set chronicles Inoki's career over 24 cards and has some great photos used on the card. Here are 4 cards that most of us can relate to:

1. Make a Start
2. Young Lion Days
3. International Tag Champion
4. UN Heavyweight Champion
5. Strongest Tag Match
6. NWF Heavyweight Champion
7. North American Tag Champion
8. vs. Strong Kobayashi
9. vs. Kintaro Ohki
10. vs. Tiger Jeet Singh
11. vs. Bill Robinson
12. vs. Willem Ruska
13. vs. Willy Williams
14. vs. Stan Hansen
15. vs. Hulk Hogan
16. vs. Bruiser Brody
17. vs. Andre The Giant
18. Battle of Ganryu Jima
19. IWGP Heavyweight Champion
20. vs. Riki Choshu
21. vs. Tatsumi Fujinami
22. The 30th Anniversary
23. vs. Genichiro Tenryu
24. vs. Ric Flair

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool.

Interesting to see the one featuring Bruiser Brody. It was a really big deal from what I read in both of the books I just finished for him to face Inoki in New Japan.

They had quite the battle behind the scenes over money.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen these but have never pulled the trigger. Thanks for sharing.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    The cards are great quality and would look good slabbed. Inoki had such a storied career in Japan.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The cards are great quality and would look good slabbed. Inoki had such a storied career in Japan. >>

I sold the Inoki autograph for really good money but his wrestling cards are not an easy sell outside of his card with Muhammad Ali. There are some wrestlers where I would figure they would do better than reality......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable