Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1922 No D Cent (Strong Reverse) price drops

It looks as if the price of the 1922 No D Strong Reverse cent, has dropped by about 40% to 50% in the past 6 or 7 years. Has it just never recovered from the economy collapse a few years ago, or are collectors just not as interested anymore? Is it still considered a good investment? I see the price of, for example, the 1922 half dollar Grant commemorative has actually gone up.

Comments

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like anything else, it's subject to interpretation. I've seen these go for seriously more than actual value in some auctions the past 5 years or so in a variety of conditions and grades. Further, the die set #1 and #3 also draw serious money (even slabbed as such), again, depending on the grade.

I don't know actual price list prices from 7 years ago so I can't speak to 40% drop but I don't think so.

Welcome to the forum.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    I believe you are correct in your "price drop analogy" even without checking old grey sheets. I think the coin that lays on it's back is the Hawaiian commem. In 65 and nice quality they have been 5 Grand for 10 years. Look for many more coins,especially keys, to drop in value for many reasons, economy, wages, stock market going crazy up, gold and silver dropping big in the past 6 months and will continue to do so. Cheap oil, gasoline and diesel along with a strong dollar. Coins have little elasticity in this time period. Futhermore, if the market starts to drop from it's lofty "japanese 1988" levels. Look out! Each day more and more this stock market looks like "1988 Japan" It's my opinion that rare coins will be dead in the water for a decade or so. If the non widget buyers begin to lose money in the stock market and they will, many "non widgets" will be on the market. Coins are a total supply and demand item, although fancy stickers in holders can prove "supply can create demand" those items aside, big money coins will be due to take a hit. Personally, I like buying the same "key date" in the same grade at a cheaper price and dollar cost average down. All the while I am putting widgets together in a meaningful coin collection. image
  • Options
    Thanks!

For example a VF20 1922 No D was at $1700 back around 2007, and is now at about $900, according to the PCGS price stats.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    1922 plain in VF ............sounds like a buy signal to me.......image
  • Options
    I hear ya man,....buy!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file