Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC is now denoting the different reverse types of 1901/1902 Liberty Nickels

dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
I found these listed on the NGC variety plus page. I have been asking for this for some time now (years). I only hope PCGS will follow so I can get my coins denoted by the reverse type.

1901 TYPE 1 REV 5C

Variety Diagnostics
Letters AM are connected, and the leaf above the left of the Roman V is distant from it.

1901 TYPE 2 REV 5C

Variety Diagnostics
Letters AM are separated, and the leaf above the left of the Roman V is close to it.

1902 TYPE 1 REV 5C

Variety Diagnostics
Letters AM are connected, and the leaf above the left of the Roman V is distant from it.

1902 TYPE 2 REV 5C

Variety Diagnostics
Letters AM are separated, and the leaf above the left of the Roman V is close to it.
Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053

Comments

• Options
    Cool, if trade dollars are any indicator, NGC noted the different rev types for almost a decade before PCGS followed suit.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The obvious question here is whether any one of the four is significantly scarcer than the others. Anyone want to share their wisdom?
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Ive heard of the varieties. I have a couple of books on them, so I will have to go back and dig to see if they are mentioned.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

News to me as well. I only have the "Peters - Mohon" book.
    C: 1995

No mention of these two years varieties ... lots of interesting other
    facts, long forgotten about. Guess I need to brush up a bit.

Any chance of posting good size images of the Ty 1 & 2 ?

Much appreciated !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this Variety has been known for many years, I have known for a decade so it isn't a secret. the mention of "scarcity" is the one that needs to be answered.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Type 2 of 1901 is scarcer (around 70% type 1 and 30% type 2) and the Type 1 of 1902 is scarcer (20% type 1 and 80% type 2). The numbers are based on the counts I have seen in auction since I started to denote the reverse types.

This was listed in the Peters & Mohon book on pages 18 & 19, with detailed images.

I like to denote these as Reverse of 1900 and Reverse of 1902.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many other varieties in the series does NGC recognize? Maybe they will start a variety registry set with enough interest.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I got my dad a bunch of V nickels for hanukkah a couple years ago. I'll have to forward this so he can check his reverses image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file