Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Zero Feedback

Slightly off topic.

I just sold a rather expensive coin (for me) to a Zero feedback buyer. I plan to ship with signature required. As long as I get paid via PayPal I should be all good right?

If I'm missing something, please advise.
If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Theoretically you should be ok.

Ebay/Paypal will screw you though at any opportunity.

Having a problem now with a new Ebay buyer that filed a bogus claim. Ebay has indicated that the customer is always right.

Be careful.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should be. Just make sure you ship to the PayPal confirmed address. The worst that can happen is that he's an eBay psycho, returns it. and leaves neg feedback.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure your paypal details page for the item says OK to ship. Sometimes there are delays in the buyer transferring money to his account and sometimes paypal flags large payments for a closer look. If you ship to the address shown in paypal, paypal says OK to ship and you require a signature your only worry is a credit card chargeback which paypal will fight on your behalf but not protect you from in the event the CC says "no go." All sellers face this potential problem.

If item is over about $750 it's actually cheaper to send registered insured, which also requires a signature. Since registered mail normally takes 5-10 days to arrive you will have some cushion in the event of a CC chargeback. You can always recall (have returned) a regisitered shipment while it is in transit.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Should be. Just make sure you ship to the PayPal confirmed address. The worst that can happen is that he's an eBay psycho, returns it. and leaves neg feedback. >>

Much worse could happen than that.

The guy could potentially be a total scammer and claim that all you sent him was an empty package, or sent him a package of rocks. They'll win that eBay/PayPal case easily as you can't prove what you sent. The buyer will keep the coin and will have to return nothing. Fortunately, most people are honest...
  • Options
    How much money is involved?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Should be. Just make sure you ship to the PayPal confirmed address. The worst that can happen is that he's an eBay psycho, returns it. and leaves neg feedback. >>

Much worse could happen than that.

The guy could potentially be a total scammer and claim that all you sent him was an empty package, or sent him a package of rocks. They'll win that eBay/PayPal case easily as you can't prove what you sent. The buyer will keep the coin and will have to return nothing. Fortunately, most people are honest... >>

A zero feedback buyer will lose such a case against a seller with a good ebay record. Been there.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, coin was $310.00

I've dealt with a few first time Buyers before and never had an issue but this value is beyond the average selling price for me. On top of that the coin belongs to my wife so there's that whole frying pan dynamic I fear as well.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options

<< <i>On top of that the coin belongs to my wife so there's that whole frying pan dynamic I fear as well. >>

Go ahead and ship. You should be fine.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    I just shipped a coin to a first time buyer with 0 feedback a couple days ago. It makes me nervous but if all the email addresses and Paypal account/shipping addressess are confirmed then it eases me a bit and has always been a good transaction. They have to start somewhere.

I have had a few buyers with a 1 or 2 feedback buy stuff and there was a discrepency in matching email/paypal address and whatnot. Those are the ones that throw up a flag and that you should avoid.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Make sure your paypal details page for the item says OK to ship. Sometimes there are delays in the buyer transferring money to his account and sometimes paypal flags large payments for a closer look. If you ship to the address shown in paypal, paypal says OK to ship and you require a signature your only worry is a credit card chargeback which paypal will fight on your behalf but not protect you from in the event the CC says "no go." All sellers face this potential problem.

If item is over about $750 it's actually cheaper to send registered insured, which also requires a signature. Since registered mail normally takes 5-10 days to arrive you will have some cushion in the event of a CC chargeback. You can always recall (have returned) a regisitered shipment while it is in transit. >>

A registered signature is NOT valid for eBay and PayPal. You either need to pay for signature confirmation anyway or use express mail instead. At the value in question, if think a regular signature is just fine (although it is not required and I wouldn't bother with it).
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> On top of that the coin belongs to my wife so there's that whole frying pan dynamic I fear as well. >>

That's funny !
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everybody started from somewhere.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Make sure your paypal details page for the item says OK to ship. Sometimes there are delays in the buyer transferring money to his account and sometimes paypal flags large payments for a closer look. If you ship to the address shown in paypal, paypal says OK to ship and you require a signature your only worry is a credit card chargeback which paypal will fight on your behalf but not protect you from in the event the CC says "no go." All sellers face this potential problem.

If item is over about $750 it's actually cheaper to send registered insured, which also requires a signature. Since registered mail normally takes 5-10 days to arrive you will have some cushion in the event of a CC chargeback. You can always recall (have returned) a regisitered shipment while it is in transit. >>

A registered signature is NOT valid for eBay and PayPal. You either need to pay for signature confirmation anyway or use express mail instead. At the value in question, if think a regular signature is just fine (although it is not required and I wouldn't bother with it). >>

Registered mail with electronic return receipt (cheaper than sig confirmation and no form required, purchased at counter) will satisfy requirement. Electronic return receipt offers online viewing and PDF download of recipients signature. Sorry, I failed to mention the additional electronic return receipt when shipping registered.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ship the item and be done with it. Follow eBay rules and no matter what the person says, you are covered. I swear many comments come from those who have never once sold anything on eBay.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

A registered signature is NOT valid for eBay and PayPal. You either need to pay for signature confirmation anyway or use express mail instead. At the value in question, if think a regular signature is just fine (although it is not required and I wouldn't bother with it). >>

Registered mail with electronic return receipt (cheaper than sig confirmation and no form required, purchased at counter) will satisfy requirement. Electronic return receipt offers online viewing and PDF download of recipients signature. Sorry, I failed to mention the additional electronic return receipt when shipping registered. >>

Be aware though that registered can be VERY slow. We had one package take 3+ weeks CA-MA. Buyer might get justifiable jittery.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First Purchase and Big Purchase = Screaming Red Flag.

As stated, make sure PayPal says Ok to ship and follow ALL the rules to the letter. i.e. signature confirmation etc. And buy insurance.

Nothing much else you can do. You are obligated to complete the sale or eBay will ding you.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    double check pay pal and you should be fine. i hope you and him both do well, we have to all start there. best wishes
  • Options

<< <i>Ship the item and be done with it. Follow eBay rules and no matter what the person says, you are covered. I swear many comments come from those who have never once sold anything on eBay. >>

+100

My very first purchase off ebay was for 1324.97 and I got the item and left 5 star feedback for the seller. Every buyer has to start someplace just print your shipping label after you verify that you have received funding and you will be fine.
  • Options
    Every buyer does have to start somewhere, but the considerate and logical ones will make a few small purchases to develop some credibility.

In the past on $3000 plus sales to low feedback users, I have called the buyer before shipping. Does not take long to tell whether they are knowledgeable about coins or not.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> but the considerate and logical ones will make a few small purchases to develop some credibility.. >>

image Do you really believe this is what they should do? eBay and PayPal have you covered. You do know that most of the scams come from hijacked accounts that have tons of history right?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file