Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Because...Gryphon...

I guess that's the only reason I can come up with for buying this one, but it's a good enough reason for me!

THRACE. Abdera. Ca. 411-385 BC. AR tetrobol (2.87 gm). By Protes. Griffin reclining left / Three grain ears standing within linear square in square incuse. SNG Copenhagen 341. May 356-357. Lightly toned. NGC Choice XF 4/5 - 4/5.

The griffin, griffon, or gryphon (Greek: γρύφων, grýphōn, or γρύπων, grýpōn, early form γρύψ, grýps; Latin: gryphus) is a legendary creature with the body, tail, and back legs of a lion; the head and wings of an eagle; and an eagle's talons as its front feet. Because the lion was traditionally considered the king of the beasts and the eagle the king of birds, the griffin was thought to be an especially powerful and majestic creature. The griffin was also thought of as king of all creatures. Griffins are known for guarding treasure and priceless possessions.

I prefer the spelling gryphon rather than griffen, it just seems to fit the creature better. Gryphons show up in Persian and Egyptian art as long ago as 3300 BC, so they have a long history.

Comments

• Options

what does "By Protes." mean?
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice "gryphon". I like it a lot.

Here is more on The Gryphon In Heraldry - LINK
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Protes was the magistrate the coins were issued by.

According to legend, Abdera was founded by Heracles on behalf of his fallen friend Abderus. Abdera saw its height of prosperity soon after 544 BC, when the majority of the people of Teos (including the poet Anacreon) migrated to Abdera to escape the Persian yoke (Herodotus i.168). The chief coin type, a griffin, is identical with that of Teos; the rich silver coinage is noted for the beauty and variety of its reverse types.
  • Options

<< <i>Protes was the magistrate the coins were issued by.

According to legend, Abdera was founded by Heracles on behalf of his fallen friend Abderus. Abdera saw its height of prosperity soon after 544 BC, when the majority of the people of Teos (including the poet Anacreon) migrated to Abdera to escape the Persian yoke (Herodotus i.168). The chief coin type, a griffin, is identical with that of Teos; the rich silver coinage is noted for the beauty and variety of its reverse types. >>

interesting, I was wondering what those letters on the back were as it didn't seem to be "of the Abderans"
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's terrific. I like griffins/gryphons.

I also really like those grains of wheat on the reverse of that, for some reason.

Just a neat design, and a nicely preserved coin with a good strike and centering.

Well done.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Nice pick up. I also have to stop reading your posts as well, JCM.
  • Options
    TIF2TIF2 Posts: 233
    Nice coin-- I'm glad it found a nice home. It was on my watch list image