Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Heritage Roman Pickups - Two Æ follis

There was a nice lot of small bronzes in choice condition. I won a couple for my undefined ancient collection, and once in hand, will decide which of the two to keep.

Constantine II, as Caesar (AD 337-340). Æ follis (1.86 gm). Siscia, AD 337. Laureate and cuirassed bust of Constantine II right / Two soldiers standing facing, each holding spear and shield; two standards between them; ASIS? in exergue. RIC VII 262. A wonderfully high grade piece. NGC Choice MS 5/5 - 5/5.

Constantius II (AD 337-361). Æ follis (1.86 gm). Siscia. Diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust of Constantius II right / Two standards standing facing, each holding a spear and shield; standard with a Chi-Rho between them; ASIS[crescent] in exergue. RIC VIII 97. NGC MS 5/5 - 5/5.

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Z, I had those on my watch list also, I'm glad I didn't run you up.
  • Options
    I think it's so wild that we can pull an ancient coin out of the ground that is mint state

wonder why the top coin didn't get "fine style" the detail in the cuirass is exquisite
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NiceCurrency - do you think these were found in Jars or isolated from the elements preserving the surfaces?
  • Options
    I don't know the answer to that, I'm just an amateur collector

on my screen the coins appear black so clearly they toned

how fun would it be to time travel and watch a time lapse of this coin getting struck and then ending up in the ground shortly thereafter and untouched for eons until someone comes along with a metal detector

here are the inscriptions if you don't already have this info (they can get a little tough to read when they're blobby):

on Constantine II: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C and GLORIA EXCERCITVM translating to Constantine Jr., Noble Caesar and Glory of the Army
    on Constantius II: CONSTANTIVS PF AVG and again GLORIA EXCERCITVM translating to Constantius, Pius and Happy Augustus, and again Glory of the Army image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are just about the most commonly encountered late Roman bronzes, but they ain't so common like that!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>NiceCurrency - do you think these were found in Jars or isolated from the elements preserving the surfaces? >>

They would almost have to have been, I would think. Most ancient hoards were buried in clay pots or amphorae.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Yes, you don't see bronze like that even from the fourth century in that condition often. I'm guessing they were stored in a jar or something. It is also something that fascinates me when there is metal flow around the lettering like on these two pieces. I see it more often in silver, honestly, but still it seems to only affect coins in or near mint state. Is it because as they tone it is hidden? I am assuming that is metal flow, I wouldn't know what else it was.

Also, I have to stop reading your posts, Zohar. *envy*
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    My very first Roman coin, purchased back in the mid 1980s, was a Constantine I with soldiers and srandards reverse. Although it is not anywhere near as nice as these, i still have it and it isone of my favorite coins because of the world of ancient coins and history it opened up for me.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com