Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best way to submit a 1964 Kennedy TDO

I have been lurking and learning for quite some time but have to butt in and get some input on the best way to submit this coin. I have a 64 Kennedy proof that is a TDO (FS-105 I believe) that is still in the mint cello. I'm considering sending it in with my next submissions and would like to know if I should take it out of the cello or cut just the Kennedy away from the cello pack? Sorry for the hazy pictures but it's hard to get a clear pic through the cello. Thanks in advance.

Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

jeff

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this tdo a variety they will recognize?

You can submit it in or out of the cello, but out will need a clear flip.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I've seem them in FS-102, 103, 104 and 108 so I would think they would recognize it. Is there a way to find out? I haven't made any error submissions yet so this is new to me. Thanks for the reply.

jeff
  • Options
    This would go in under variety attribution and need to be in the CPG

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭
    To my knowledge PCGS doesn't recognize this variety. Why? I have no idea.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    Seems odd that they would recognize a DDO and a QDO but not a TDO. Unfortunately, I don't have a CPG. Sounds like I should invest in one.

jeff
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, Just curious? Can you show the whole coin? It might also be an " Accented Hair"? image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    I could take a pic but I know it's not an "accented hair". It has the serif on the "I" (unfortunately) but thank you for bringing that up Joey.

jeff
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    jeff...take this with a grain of salt ok

many have found most proofs can benefit from a quick dip n rinse before submitting
    not truly tied to higher grade hopes
    moreso it can remove some of the mint's surface contaminants that later can develop into surface problems

see if you have the type 1 reverse...straight "G"...if you are to anty up the extra under variety service anyway

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a spot on the pcgs submission form for the variety identification...or you can leave it blank and let pcgs attribute it for you. You will still have to pay the $24 variety attribution fee either way.

PCGS does recognize fs-103, 104, 106 and 108 for the 1964 TDO.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Teddy, it does have the straight "G" and also the broken rays ( has a full serif on the "I" ). When you say a "quick dip" I assume you mean an acetone bath and rinse with distilled water? Thanks for the info oih82w8, I'll try and pin down the exact FS number but will still have them do the attribution if it's the same price. Makes the most sense and thanks for the info.

jeff
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    those more professional will chime in as i'm not the pro here...especially on die marriage if it can be noted on label...it should be something achievable
    easily attributed are different reverse dies as with obverse dies too

it is special from the rest of proof offerings

i for one use this diluted 50-50...i only whish it for a sec...then straight under running hot water...then into acetone...then into an old tee-shirt for patting it down
    others may correct exact process again as i'm a lil rusty...but it's my current mode of removing surface contaminants

as to the reverse...pcgs knows 4 dies exist for these 64 proof's...2 obv & 2 rev....so i'd write a lil note perhaps that you do wish that be stated
    type 1 reverse

for the life of me i don't know if all this would fit on one label there with your tdo and fs#

just passing along some insight...hopefully corrected insight where i maybe wrong...image

congrats on an interesting piece
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    You need to know the FS and if they attribute it

Why?

Otherwise you pay for a submission without the attribution. The coin will come back with a grade but not even a mention of TDO on the label. The only thing that will be on the label is a grade.

So, grab a CPG and make sure they recognize it first.

• Options
    Thanks for all the great info. MsMorrisine, embarrassed to say but I don't own a CPG. Would the latest edition be best or is there a specific edition that I should start with that would have these varieties?

jeff
  • Options
    The pcgs variety FAQ lists the editions they use, which are the latest editions.

• Options
    Thank you. I'll check it out and see which one I should start with.

jeff
  • Options
    Hey black smoke are you sure it is not the FS 105 QDO?
  • Options
    I'm not sure exactly which one at this point and under the advice of MM, I'm going to get a CPG and figure it out for sure before submission and hopefully, it's a variety they recognize.

jeff
  • Options
    If it is the FS105 QDO then the do recognize that one.
  • Options
    I've read this post multiple times but here's what I'm not getting. If I submit coins - I have at least 3 different ddo and tdo '64 Kennedys- but if I get it wrong, will PCGS correct it or not attribute it or something else?
    "If someone says 'A penny for your thoughts' and you give them your 2 cents worth, what happens to the extra penny?" G.Carlin
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've read this post multiple times but here's what I'm not getting. If I submit coins - I have at least 3 different ddo and tdo '64 Kennedys- but if I get it wrong, will PCGS correct it or not attribute it or something else? >>

Unlike ANACS, PCGS will not "research" per se on anything other than the reference library that they have on hand.

The submitter should" specify what they think it is and if PCGS concurs, then it gets the appropriate FS Number. IF it is a DDO that is not listed in the CPG, then the coin would receive a "Minor Variety" moniker with DDO on the label provided it is readily identifiable as a DDO. In other words, if a microscope is required, then forgetaboutit.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file