Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

"the secret to winning a pwcc auction...

is to buy it before it get's there!"

-someone here

counting my lucky stars that this will ring true. gonna be an interesting one to watch!!!

1963 Rose PSA 9

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not a big fan of that L/R centering on a 9, but it will go for big bucks regardless. I'd much rather have a 7-8 that was better centered.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your consignment!! Should go for big bucks!
  • Options
    Does PWCC get the top prices on all cards? They must have an amazing loyal following of collectors!
  • Options

<< <i>Does PWCC get the top prices on all cards? They must have an amazing loyal following of collectors! >>

PWCC gets hign prices which in turns gets consignments, which gets high prices, etc. It is a never ending cycle. They have gotten really big since their inception. It is not uncommon to see multiple cards of the same players, sometimes in the exact same grades during their auctions.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    I will pay PWCC prices for the right card, but most of the time I am outbid handily.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭

<< <i>Good luck with your consignment!! Should go for big bucks! >>

you know what they say about making assumptions... you make an ass outta u and mptions!

mine's right here!!!

but agree about the centering on this one...musta been a good day!
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

you know what they say about making assumptions... you make an ass outta u and mptions!

mine's right here!!!

but agree about the centering on this one...musta been a good day! >>

You should use that pic when you auction it off.image
  • Options
    pic seemed to fit considering! ; )

but hopefully, i'll never have too...

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Brent is a good guy. I am happy he and PWCC have taken off as such a strong consignor.

It wasn't too long ago that Probstein really dominated the consigning market on eBay. Really dramatic turn to PWCC this year. I am thinking putting CENTERED in close to every listing on eBay was not the best strategy for Probstein.

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    Agreed!! That pic is hailarious....basically that is what the HOF has been giving ol' Petey this whole time!
  • Options
    PWCC does such a great job with the scans of back & front that they give. Lots of auctions give a blurry fuzzy picture with barely any detail... PWCC auctions just feel professional and with his great reputation, you trust you'll get what you win quickly. At least this is what I've heard. Never won an auction from him, but sometime in the future i'm sure I will.

Best of luck on your epic PSA 9 Rose listing!
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not a big fan of that L/R centering on a 9, but it will go for big bucks regardless. I'd much rather have a 7-8 that was better centered. >>

I'm with Larkin on this one. If I'm spending 4 digits+ on a card that is condition-rare, it's gotta be deadnuts centered or very close. If there's less than 100 or so in all grades, will just be happy to add a copy and upgrade as time allows.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not a big fan of that L/R centering on a 9, but it will go for big bucks regardless. I'd much rather have a 7-8 that was better centered. >>

I'm with Larkin on this one. If I'm spending 4 digits+ on a card that is condition-rare, it's gotta be deadnuts centered or very close. If there's less than 100 or so in all grades, will just be happy to add a copy and upgrade as time allows. >>

And just to think: There was a time pre-1990's where centering wasn't even considered an issue at ALL to 90% of collectors lol

Does kind of suck because it's the one aspect of a card that nobody can control
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am thinking putting CENTERED in close to every listing on eBay was not the best strategy for Probstein. >>

Now that is funny! Centered on everything image

Got to meet Rick as well as the guys from PWCC at the National and both were very nice and helpful with advice. Also, Probstein had a smart set up where he had chairs for people to sit in plus those foot massagers they sell at Brookstone's.
  • Options
    smart. so your feet didn't hurt as bad when getting shilled or being offered a bogus card
  • Options

<< <i>Best of luck on your epic PSA 9 Rose listing! >>

Agreed!! Good luck with your sale!! I think you will do fine! I am watching it and am curious to see where it lands!
  • Options
    once again, harry and llyod...not my card.
  • Options
    Whoa!! 10k with six whole days left? Had no idea Rose's RC in mint 9 was worth so much! What with his being banned 4 life and all! Lol
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did not buy from him and bought all of my graded cards from one dealer and 90% from the same 1-2 dealers. Find some good dealers who have nice cards and great service and do your business with them - you will be glad you did.
  • Options
    If it really is yours, try not to accidentally bid on it yourself. It's a very easy mistake to make from what I've heard.
  • Options
    setting the over under @ $16,600...

seen them between $14 - $21k. figuring the centering and the pwcc inflation basically cancel out each other.
  • Options
    Put me down for $5 on the over.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's ok to bid on it as long as you bid to lose money..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Grote...I don't think a $500 bid is going to win that card....you can try though buddy.....I think the current bid is $10,000.......but hey, good luck with that!
  • Options
    $5 on the over. confirmed! ; )

I would rather have 7 nicely centered 8s than what this 9 is gonna go for. grader was certainly in a good mood.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$5 on the over. confirmed! ; )

I would rather have 7 nicely centered 8s than what this 9 is gonna go for. grader was certainly in a good mood. >>

So this isn't your card? I thought it had already been declared and decided that it was??

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    The man said it wasn't and even seems insulted that we thought it was. Whoevers card it is, it is a nice card and should do just fine!
  • Options
    nope. never consigned a card ever and rarely sell period. but, no matter what I type it's still going to be perceived as mine, so yes. it's mine! I have crappy vision and blew $21K on a off centered card and hoping for a massive $5k loss. I suffer from dyslexia and thought the golden rule was "buy the label, not the card" and I followed it to a tee!!!

all in good fun!
  • Options

<< <i>The man said it wasn't and even seems insulted that we thought it was. Whoevers card it is, it is a nice card and should do just fine! >>

only insult is in regards to the centering. stevie wonder could pick out a better 9 than that!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The man said it wasn't and even seems insulted that we thought it was. Whoevers card it is, it is a nice card and should do just fine! >>

only insult is in regards to the centering. stevie wonder could pick out a better 9 than that! >>

Oh come on now.....That Rose isn't THAT bad!
  • Options
    no, but do you really want "not THAT bad" brought up when you are about to drop $16,599 on a card? (notice I placed an under figure in there)

; )
  • Options

I'd rather have the Psa 9 for investment purposes.
  • Options
    Probably the best investment call would be to go for a centered 9 that would draw even more buyers to the party, which would mean passing on the weak 9. I also think a centered 5 thru 7 is so relatively cheap that it can be enjoyed without ever having to sweat the investment angle. There's something chill about just having a good looking example for a couple undo, and odds are gonna be that with time one would do AOK on resale.

• Options
    Agree that the best investment is a well centered Psa 9.
    While it's nice to have a centered Psa 5-7, I still think it's better to have quality over quantity.
    The centered Psa 5-7 could be considered quality due to it's centered factor but regardless a Psa 9 is higher quality and rarer. The holder is still what most collectors care about like it or not.
    The Psa 9 may have inferior centering to the 5-7 but probably has better corners, edges and surface which is what a lot of collectors care about too.
    Time and time again I see collectors getting lower quality or less rare cards but then selling them off for a higher quality or rarer card or cards.
    Buying the best and rarest you can afford is the best way to go.
  • Options

<< <i>While it's nice to have a centered Psa 5-7, I still think it's better to have quality over quantity.

The centered Psa 5-7 could be considered quality due to it's centered factor but regardless a Psa 9 is higher quality and rarer. The holder is still what most collectors care about like it or not. >>

I very respectfully could not disagree more with these excerpted statements. The best quality card is the better looking card, and that's a determination made by the owner/buyer/collector. Many times the superior card of two is the lower graded one. Sometimes this is borne out if one reviews or crack resubs; would you assume a PSA 7 or 8 someone buys is automatically inferior to a 9, but then what happens when the 7 crack-resubs to a 9?

As to the rarity aspect, one could just as easily consider a dead centered Rose rarer than this PSA 9 on eBay, since so few of such centered specimens of the Rose RC are seen. Also, it is worth drawing the distinction that what the 9 Rose has is condition rarity, which is a far cry from true rarity.

If "most collectors" care about the holder, which I sure hope they don't, the mistake of caring about someone else's opinion and a sticker instead of caring about the actual intrinsic item you are buying does not become a good thing because it is being done en masse. But at least in my anecdotal experience, all of the collectors with whom I talk regularly care far, far more for the card than the holder. They regularly will sell a higher graded card to obtain high eye appeal cards that may be in lower grade. Perhaps most "investors" might care more about the holder, but the savviest investors likely see very interesting things are happening out in the market right now: people are seeing pretty handsome profits in lower graded cards with high eye appeal. I do think the degree to which one is a collector or investor or both plays a big part in their view, with there being no right or wrong.

Ultimately, I think the final decider of what is the best quality is the individual. For example, I could buy that PSA 9 on eBay now, but I would time and again choose my PSA 6 because for my taste I truly believe the 6 is the better, higher quality card-- because I value centering above corners.

As an another example, I have friends who would value an e90-1 Jackson with perfect registration over a much higher graded copy that has the usual poor registration.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>While it's nice to have a centered Psa 5-7, I still think it's better to have quality over quantity.

The centered Psa 5-7 could be considered quality due to it's centered factor but regardless a Psa 9 is higher quality and rarer. The holder is still what most collectors care about like it or not. >>

I very respectfully could not disagree more with these excerpted statements. The best quality card is the better looking card, and that's a determination made by the owner/buyer/collector. Many times the superior card of two is the lower graded one. Sometimes this is borne out if one reviews or crack resubs; would you assume a PSA 7 or 8 someone buys is automatically inferior to a 9, but then what happens when the 7 crack-resubs to a 9?

As to the rarity aspect, one could just as easily consider a dead centered Rose rarer than this PSA 9 on eBay, since so few of such centered specimens of the Rose RC are seen. Also, it is worth drawing the distinction that what the 9 Rose has is condition rarity, which is a far cry from true rarity.

If "most collectors" care about the holder, which I sure hope they don't, the mistake of caring about someone else's opinion and a sticker instead of caring about the actual intrinsic item you are buying does not become a good thing because it is being done en masse. But at least in my anecdotal experience, all of the collectors with whom I talk regularly care far, far more for the card than the holder. They regularly will sell a higher graded card to obtain high eye appeal cards that may be in lower grade. Perhaps most "investors" might care more about the holder, but the savviest investors likely see very interesting things are happening out in the market right now: people are seeing pretty handsome profits in lower graded cards with high eye appeal. I do think the degree to which one is a collector or investor or both plays a big part in their view, with there being no right or wrong.

Ultimately, I think the final decider of what is the best quality is the individual. For example, I could buy that PSA 9 on eBay now, but I would time and again choose my PSA 6 because for my taste I truly believe the 6 is the better, higher quality card-- because I value centering above corners.

As an another example, I have friends who would value an e90-1 Jackson with perfect registration over a much higher graded copy that has the usual poor registration. >>

I respectfully agree the value you place on centering. I value centering too. But I also care a lot about the corners, edges and surface on the card too which I think many other collectors value tooimage I wouldn't pay a big premium for a centered card if either it's corners, edges or surface were no good and even if the centering was rare. just a matter of one's preference like you said there is no right or wrong way to collect.
  • Options

<< <i>I very respectfully could not disagree more with these excerpted statements. The best quality card is the better looking card, and that's a determination made by the owner/buyer/collector. Many times the superior card of two is the lower graded one. Sometimes this is borne out if one reviews or crack resubs; would you assume a PSA 7 or 8 someone buys is automatically inferior to a 9, but then what happens when the 7 crack-resubs to a 9? >>

Yup! That just about sums it up!! I couldn't agree more. The better looking card in the lower grade holder is ALWAYS the better buy!
  • Options

Next time bobby have some proof before saying begsu1013 owns the card.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "Next time bobby have some proof before saying begsu1013 owns the card"

Why should Bobby be held to a higher standard. Allegations are thrown around on this forum on a daily basis.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>"Next time bobby have some proof before saying begsu1013 owns the card"

Why should Bobby be held to a higher standard. Allegations are thrown around on this forum on a daily basis. >>

+1
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Little O/C. Not enough to trip my OCD though. $11,000 eliminates me from possible bid discussion however image
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    ok. who's tip-toeing through my tulips? i thought i was the "let's take potshots at Bobby" guy around here. image
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'd rather have the Psa 9 for investment purposes. >>

When I buy one, it won't be for investment purposes image
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>From what I hear, you'll get your stuff listed & paid for faster with PWCC rather than PROBSTEIN even though pwcc only does auctions once a month. >>

You sure hear a lot yet what you say amounts to nothingimage I hear Rick made you pay for a card you drove up..
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slight tilt and very slightly to the top in my eyes. While it is an insane price as far as I am concerned the centering doesn't bother me.
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>Slight tilt and very slightly to the top in my eyes. While it is an insane price as far as I am concerned the centering doesn't bother me. >>

I'd be happy with the cardimage
  • Options

<< <i>"Next time bobby have some proof before saying begsu1013 owns the card"

Why should Bobby be held to a higher standard. Allegations are thrown around on this forum on a daily basis. >>

it's ok. really. not a bad thing if folks think I have two 9's of the all time hit leader...but in all reality, just one. which will never be sold (hopefully).

but while we are throwing around half-truths: I heard that bobby invented the telephone, but when he picked it up for the first time, he had 2 missed calls from me.

what have you heard?
  • Options

<< <i> I heard that bobby invented the telephone, but when he picked it up for the first time, he had 2 missed calls from me. >>

LMAO!! Watson come here! I want to see you!
  • Options
    ; )