Home U.S. Coin Forum

1806 Draped Bust half dollar (w/grading poll)

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
Atypically for one of my grading polls, this is not one of my coins. (... Not yet, anyway. Some of that hypothetical future depends on the poll results here, actually.)

Do you see anything here that would prevent the coin from grading at PCGS? And how would you grade it, personally? What's the Overton variety?

The composite image below may be too small to judge by, but you can open the larger obverse-reverse pictures in separate windows if you like.

Larger obverse picture

Larger reverse picture

PCGS/Photograde standards

Index of similar grading poll threads like this

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, I went VG10, to err on the side of caution.

I do think it looks like an original, problem-free example, as the seller claims, but we'll see what everyone here says.

Maybe it's just a tiny bit low grade for me, but I like the CirCam contrast. Really I'd like to see one with even darker greys and more contrast, but all of the ones I've seen have either had problems, were overpriced, or were just too high grade for my budget. Shopping for a nice midgrade circ Draped Bust half with CircCam contrast and no problems has not been as easy as I thought it would be so far!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    my gut is 50-50 split on if it is an old cleaning...would need in hand to confirm

hey
    where is gd 6...
    if you change your poll to include that grade...i'll play...but stay anonymous...image

to me not quite a vg but way better then sliding in at bottom of good

good luck with the purchase though
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Ah, sorry. I forgot G6, didn't I. image

<< <i>Ah, sorry. I forgot G6, didn't I. image >>

trying to rip us off or something i figure...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

the "T" in liberty on the obverse looks doubled...yes...no...?

it "probably" is an original devoid of cleaning

O-114A
    or
    O-115

due to the "T"

is my wag

<< <i>the "T" in liberty on the obverse looks doubled...yes...no...? >>

Sure does, now that you mention it. I hadn't noticed that. And I'm not an Overton variety wonk, so I won't know what that means, of course.

<< <i>

<< <i>the "T" in liberty on the obverse looks doubled...yes...no...? >>

Sure does, now that you mention it. I hadn't noticed that. And I'm not an Overton variety wonk, so I won't know what that means, of course. >>

simple website you may like to reference from....ROB..."ROB.COM"....http://rob.com/russ/collection/....russ logans site that has images of those early date pieces with overton numbers
    russ logans website

"WONK-WONK-WONK"....image...get with it and get to..."WONKEN"...already...sheesh

Thanks. "Rob.com", like my own name, and I never checked it out? Too funny.

<< <i>my gut is 50-50 split on if it is an old cleaning...would need in hand to confirm >>

An old cleaning is entirely possible, but I think it would probably be market- and TPG-acceptable, yes?

you're probably dead on with market acceptable and grade worthy...this coins only been around for what....209 years
    she's looking pretty spiffy just in that regard image

hopefully too...price point looks right and you've looked around abit to know what these trade at in grade level

"great eye pleasing example" by the way.....of an ol 209 year old half dollar

you can drill a hole in it later for your vest too...image

BTW, I am waching this one too, and like it, except for maybe the toning disruption in front of Liberty's face.

But I don't know if I can step up to VF-ish money just now. Even though it too has a Best Offer option, I would almost certainly have to come up with a good bit more money for it.

<< <i>you can drill a hole in it later for your vest too... image >>

Alas, the Holey Coin Vest is long gone, now. My luck with holey DB halves was rather um- interesting- anyway.

"the toning disruption in front of Liberty's face"....don't do it....that's just my advise

get you an all around eye pleaser....remember too...as soon as you hook yours...others will pop up
    so don't jump my friend...it pays to be a hold out in some cases

that disruption in the field...listen to your inner voice on it....image

have you ever put a "wanted to buy" add up on the buy-trade-sell board...members here can...one up most others...see what images members put up with offers included

so now i got to looking at 1806 draped bust halves right...see if i was way too off in grade

where is the eagle's head ?.....on this one in this thread...if that's soft strike...i don't like it
    should be a head on that eagle

Been there, done that, on the want ad.

Yes, though I think you were a bit low on the grade, you're right about the eagle's head on this one.

That and the marks on the reverse stars are the negatives in the case of the coin in the OP. I suspect some of it has to do with strike, though.

And you're also right about counseling a little bit of patience, of course.

yup i was low on grade...looking at whats in holders...kinda matches the vg8 in photo-grade

sell some of those tokens from your goodie bag and buy a better example i say...your patience and diligence will be just reward

xmas is rolling around too...sweet coins will pop for quick sale type of thing....great buys seem to pop up this time of year
    position yourself i say

you might be surprised if you ran some of those tokens n medals at .99 no reserve true auction...buy you a sweet draped bust for doing so too

earn that suffix darned it

• 410a410a Posts: 1,325
    ..........I consider that to be a nice coin on its merits alone with or without certain details. The coin has nice honest wear and a nice planchet no rim bumps, good eye appeal, yes it is worn, but it is nicely so.
  • O-115 the die crack through date,,right side of missing,ME joined.............
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a series I have little experience with so I referred to the ANA Grading Standards book. The coin appears to be better than a F12 but not quite good enough to merit a VF20 so my assigned grade will be F15.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's nice!
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also with the F15 crowd.
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Buying I am F12, selling I am F15.... just like the dealers of old
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted VG10 (11) not quite a Fine but very close

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• I am thinking VG10 as well...
    You may call me Dave
    BHNC member # 184!

http://www.busthalfaddict.com
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fwiw i went with vf20 im thinking it should be a f 15. we shall see.
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm completely ignorant on these, but went with 12...the poll tells me maybe I'm not as ignorant as I thought. image
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stars right above the eagles head look doubled or damaged.JMO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file