Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Great Collections really IS great!

I will not go into details because I would not want everybody else to ask and be granted special favors from GC and that would be too much for their relatively small staff...

But I got to give this outfit MONDO props! they will bend over backwards to get your coins marketed-- what a great bunch!!

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me at least, no details = a post not worth while.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GC, Glad to hear your experience was a good one. I would advise those
    considering using GC to set a minimum bid that THEY feel comfortable with.
    I was told that 70% of price guide was a typical minimum, but surprised to
    see several start well below that number when I used GC. There were a couple
    that sold below what I would have set the minimum at. Live and learn.
  • Options
    Fadetoblack ... just the opposite.

If it comes to bashing or praising, I have asked for the same thing - DETAILS.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Fadetoblack ... just the opposite.

If it comes to bashing or praising, I have asked for the same thing - DETAILS.

Wondercoin >>

I have had many great transactions both buying and selling with GC. Great people to work with.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    yup

one amazing outfit
    i really hope they maintain their position as they grow...as they are one amazing outfit
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ian's put together a remarkable site. Through hard work and taking care of customers. He deserves all the accolades and success it garners.
    Lance.
  • Options
    "Ian's put together a remarkable site. Through hard work and taking care of customers. He deserves all the accolades and success it garners.
    Lance."

+1

Wondercoin
  • Options
    GC makes you feel like a valued customer. And listen I don't care if you are in a B&M or on one of their competitors sites exceptional customer service is a lost art in this industry. GC does it right!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My one experience with them (as a customer, not consignor) was positive.

I'd just like to see it grow and have the selection be wider, is all.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friend of mine has consigned getting close to 1/4 million in coins with them now and he is pleased
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>For me at least, no details = a post not worth while.

Wondercoin >>

Rofl, if it involves Spectrum or their subsidiaries' competitors, it's a good bet you'll show up to do some bashing.

I've only had a few interactions with GC but they've all been very good. image >>

GC has great service ..seamless bidding/selling .. low cost buying /selling feesimage
  • Options
    CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Great Store ! Awesome people and Ian is 10/10 image

My first VAM was from GC - awesome morgan - My pics:

And the VAM dog isn't from GC lol

Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Never bought or sold with Great Collections, but I am about to ship them fifty coins for auction. I just wish they would offer to place a one line description for say a couple of bucks. I have some submissions with great looking cracks, or cuds, or MPD, or double dies.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so my experiences with them has been the berries. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    Mozin, GC does take extra images of proof coins. I think that if you mention in your submission that you would like images of significant attributes, like a cud, they are quite likely to oblige.

I have thought about asking if I could provide short comments on consignments but I've little doubt that was considered and rejected for the business model.
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mozin, how about a PM when your coins go up on GC ? I'd love to take a look at your offerings !
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mozin, GC does take extra images of proof coins. I think that if you mention in your submission that you would like images of significant attributes, like a cud, they are quite likely to oblige.

I have thought about asking if I could provide short comments on consignments but I've little doubt that was considered and rejected for the business model. >>

Thanks for the support and feedback everyone. We are going to start to include descriptions on certain lots in the future. I'm working out the criteria and system for it at the moment. We just added to our IT staff, I think we will be rolling out more and more new features in a fast manner (like batch-bidding for everyone, enhanced prices realized searching, searching, wantlists are all set to go live before the end of the year).

Regards,

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mozin, GC does take extra images of proof coins. I think that if you mention in your submission that you would like images of significant attributes, like a cud, they are quite likely to oblige.

I have thought about asking if I could provide short comments on consignments but I've little doubt that was considered and rejected for the business model. >>

Thanks for the support and feedback everyone. We are going to start to include descriptions on certain lots in the future. I'm working out the criteria and system for it at the moment. We just added to our IT staff, I think we will be rolling out more and more new features in a fast manner (like batch-bidding for everyone, enhanced prices realized searching, searching, wantlists are all set to go live before the end of the year).

Regards,

- Ian >>

That's GC for you.....
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Regards,

- Ian >>

Ian one area where GC needs improvement is pointing out spots on American Sliver Eagles or other Modern silver coins. in the listings
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Regards,

- Ian >>

Ian one area where GC needs improvement is pointing out spots on American Sliver Eagles or other Modern silver coins. in the listings >>

Do they not show in the images for you? We do mention when they do not show in the images.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    I am all about "details" and backing up positions on these boards (whether they are positions of approval or upset) with details. So, here are some details about GC...

1. In last week's GC auction there were a couple coins I had mild interest in trying to win. I asked Ian the day before the auction was closing for detailed descriptions of the lots. Ian invited me to come over to his office any time I wanted Sunday (the day of the auction) to lot view the coins and also offered to make any and all coins in the sale that day available for me to lot view. Repeat, he offered to make himself available any time I desired on a Sunday so that I could check out a few of his consigned coins going off at auction that evening. Try getting anyone in the coin auction business to agree to meet you any time you desire on a Sunday to check out a couple coins!

2. I scheduled a time late in the afternoon and the coins were waiting for me to lot view when I arrived. He shared his opinions on each coin as well. The coins had moved up sharply in price that afternoon and I ended up not bidding on any of the coins. In fact, one of the coins ended just as I was getting ready to leave and Ian invited me to have him place the bid for me right then and there if I desired. Again, the coins exceeded my previously determined max bids that I had in mind so I passed on Ian's offer to bid in the final minutes right there in his office. But, if I would have had a stronger interest in the coins at the levels they were at, it would have been wonderful for Ian to personally place a bid for me in the final minute live in his office. That is wonderful service!

Best I could tell, Ian was not the least bit upset that I failed to win anything in his auction that afternoon even though he did spend the better part of an hour working with me on these coins.

In short, a job very well done Ian! Thanks for the great service. Next time I just may win the prize!

Wondercoin
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am all about "details" and backing up positions on these boards (whether they are positions of approval or upset) with details. So, here are some details about GC...

1. In last week's GC auction there were a couple coins I had mild interest in trying to win. I asked Ian the day before the auction was closing for detailed descriptions of the lots. Ian invited me to come over to his office any time I wanted Sunday (the day of the auction) to lot view the coins and also offered to make any and all coins in the sale that day available for me to lot view. Repeat, he offered to make himself available any time I desired on a Sunday so that I could check out a few of his consigned coins going off at auction that evening. Try getting anyone in the coin auction business to agree to meet you any time you desire on a Sunday to check out a couple coins!

2. I scheduled a time late in the afternoon and the coins were waiting for me to lot view when I arrived. He shared his opinions on each coin as well. The coins had moved up sharply in price that afternoon and I ended up not bidding on any of the coins. In fact, one of the coins ended just as I was getting ready to leave and Ian invited me to have him place the bid for me right then and there if I desired. Again, the coins exceeded my previously determined max bids that I had in mind so I passed on Ian's offer to bid in the final minutes right there in his office. But, if I would have had a stronger interest in the coins at the levels they were at, it would have been wonderful for Ian to personally place a bid for me in the final minute live in his office. That is wonderful service!

Best I could tell, Ian was not the least bit upset that I failed to win anything in his auction that afternoon even though he did spend the better part of an hour working with me on these coins.

In short, a job very well done Ian! Thanks for the great service. Next time I just may win the prize!

Wondercoin >>

Now that is great service.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the only online auction I've ever used.

I'm the smallest tadpole of a customer but the few times that I've asked about a coin or shipping you'd think that I was a whale.

I could go on and on with compliments but I'll save them for now.

Nice story wondercoin. Hope you're not driving up the cost of overhead. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In short, a job very well done Ian! Thanks for the great service. Next time I just may win the prize! >>

Teletrade never would have done that
  • Options
    Sparky. Good point. If I start meeting with him 10 hours a week to lot view coins, I can single handily drive up his commission rates. image

Wondercoin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file