Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A new Aethelred

NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
A new British acquisition for me, a sceatta.

Aethelred, like most Anglo-Saxon names, is a name of two parts, Aethel-, meaning noble, and -raed, meaning counsel. Sounds like a good name for a king. And a popular one it was! There were at least 6 Anglo-Saxon kings of that name: Aethelred of Wessex (the older brother and predecessor of Alfred the Great), Aethelred II of England (nicknamed 'Unraed' or 'the Unready'), two king Aethelred's in Northumbria, two king Aethelred's in Mercia, and a king Aethelred of East Anglia.

Almost all of them are known to have issued coins. The styles are markedly different, making identification a fairly trivial matter.

On to the coin, this is a sceatta of the "Series E" type. It depicts what has frequently been called a "porcupine" but is probably the degenerate portrayal of a head with hair or of some sort of bird. Series E is one of the most common Anglo-Saxon era coins, and it is believed many or most of them are not English at all, but are actually Frisian.

The reverse is unusual for the sceatta type as it demonstrates the name of a person: Aethiliraed. The letters are in two lines, and on this particular example, reversed and in a counter clockwise orientation. The legend is runic, and I don't know if Unicode supports runes, so I made a graphic of the inscription:

So who was this particular Aethelred or Aethiliraed? Historically, the numismatists of old assigned this coin to Aethelred (I) of Mercia, a petty king of the Anglo-Saxon period. Aethelred was the son of Penda, the most powerful of his generation of Anglo-Saxon kings. Aethelred continued his father's policy of conquest and invaded the neighboring Kingdom of Kent. He helped to establish Mercia as the dominant kingdom at the turn of the 8th century. He ruled from ~675-705, and abdicated to become a monk.

More modern scholarship about this particular coin suggests it probably was not a regal issue, but was rather made by a moneyer named Aethelred. Several other types of sceattas depict runic names, such as PADA and EPA, which are not known to be Anglo-Saxon kings, and thought to represent moneyers.

The question probably will never be settled, but it remains an interesting coin. It has never been found in great numbers in any hoards. There are probably somewhere around 40-60 in existence. Most individual finds seem to be in Kent or Norfolk. It has been found in Belgium as well, as with many sceattas, which were probably used for international trade rather than internal commerce.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin from a fascinatingly mysterious time.

Thanks for the breakdown on the meaning of the name, too.

One of my favorite coins is an Aethelred penny I got from the forum member who goes by that name, and I didn't know that.

And something about runes fascinates me, too. I think it might have had its start when I read Tolkien as a child. The runestone monuments that still stand in parts of Northern Europe, like the stone circles of the British Isles, captivate me. Nothing quite says "Dark Ages" like runic writing.

(I know the term "Dark Ages" has fallen out of favor with scholars, but I still like it because it connotes that dark aura of mystery about this era.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another suggestion that the name is of the moneyer is that it's on the reverse.

Nice coin. Btw, there's a Northumbrian sceatta in near EF in the upcoming Baldwin's CoinFest auction. I'm not bidding on it, tempted though...

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    There is no room for another Aethelred, I am the ONLY one!

That is an awesome coin from a period that to me is almost magic. Well done!

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I was waiting for that post image

There can only be one! haha
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I should have added an evil sounding "muh wah ha ha."
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Another suggestion that the name is of the moneyer is that it's on the reverse.

Nice coin. Btw, there's a Northumbrian sceatta in near EF in the upcoming Baldwin's CoinFest auction. I'm not bidding on it, tempted though...

EVP >>

Well, the obverse/reverse orientation is probably speculation at best. One thing that is a little unusual is that the name only appears on this one particular type, unlike PADA and EPA which are found on many different designs. This probably means it was only produced for a short time, and while there is speculation that it might be a continental issue, the name Aethelred sounds more English than Frisian. So for a moneyer to put the name 'Aethelred' on a coin thought to be produced around the same time as a fairly powerful king of Mercia (a "Bretwalda" in all but name), well it's possible but I'm inclined to think it may be a regal issue, maybe specifically minted for the invasion of Kent. Will never know for sure though. Far more intelligent and accomplished numismatists have speculated and could not reach a consensus.

As far as the Baldwin's sceatta, is that the Eadberht one? I won't be bidding on it, but did see it on numisbids. I have a few coins of Eadberht already, albeit lower grades, but I'm trying to focus elsewhere.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a recent article about a king killing another or imposter king who deigned to add his name to the coin of the realm? Was it this coin they were referring to? I swear it was an Aethered of sorts.
  • Options

<< <i>Wasn't there a recent article about a king killing another or imposter king who deigned to add his name to the coin of the realm? Was it this coin they were referring to? I swear it was an Aethered of sorts. >>

Here

It was not this coin, but rather a coin of Aethelberht of East Anglia.

There were a good number of King Aethelreds, but this was not one of them
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    Ha, well at least I know I haven't completely lost my mind, Nap, thanks, lol.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I was about to say, "How do you guys keep track? Honestly. Do you have an info graphic saved with your database?"

Then I paused and decided to search Wikipedia.

This wiki page is rather helpful!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I have another new obscure Aethelred coin:

Obverse: +EDILRED
    Reverse: +HNIFVLA

This is something of a "white whale" for me. It is a coin of King Aethelred I of Northumbria, from his second reign (789-796), by the moneyer Hnifula. Aethelred had 6 moneyers that struck his coins, and Hnifula is the rarest. I can track four other coins of this moneyer, two of which are in museums. There are probably more, but they are certainly rare. (Almost as rare as the people that collect them)

Hnifula is an unusual name, that is probably derived from the Old English noun hnifol, which means 'forehead.'

Aethelred I was an unsuccessful monarch, who was in charge in 793 when a band of Viking raiders reached and attacked Lindisfarne. This was the first Viking raid, and is considered the start of the Viking era. Probably, partly from this fiasco, and partly because of Aethelred's attempts to brutally eliminate any nobles that he believed posed a threat, he was himself assassinated by his subjects in 796.
  • Options
    Cool coin. Thanks for sharing. Is it a sceatta of base silver?

EVP

• Options

<< <i>Cool coin. Thanks for sharing. Is it a sceatta of base silver?

EVP >>

Thanks!

It would indeed be proper to call this coin a sceat or sceatta of silver.

The Northumbrian coinage began as high quality silver coins and over the years progressed to very low-no silver copper coins. The early coins are usually called "sceats" and would include this piece. The later coins are called "stycas."

The words themselves are kind of interesting:
    Sceatta is a word derived from Old English or Old German for "treasure" or "wealth." It probably was never meant to be used in the singular sense, but for the last 300 years or so, early Anglo-Saxon silver coins have been called sceattas (singular: sceatta or sceat).
    Styca is derived from an Old English word for "part" or "piece" (in the sense of a fraction of a larger currency). There was no larger currency issued simultaneously with the stycas, and most likely sceats and stycas circulated simultaneously (although they may have had different purchasing power).
    Sceats stopped production c.810-820, and stycas began around the same time, or maybe a decade later, lasting until c.867.

Sceats issued by the early Anglo-Saxon kingdoms, which feature a great variety of designs, were produced for trade with the Franks and Frisians. In fact, a good deal of these coins were probably produced outside of England.
    On the other hand, Northumbrian sceats have never been found in any significant number outside of England, and even then, they are mostly found in areas that made up the kingdom of Northumbria. So most likely, these coins were produced for internal trade. By this time, the southern kingdoms of England and the Carolingian Franks were producing "pennies" which were larger and contained a higher degree of silver compared with the Northumbrian coins. Over time, Northumbrian coinage decreased in its silver content, to the point that by the mid 9th century, the coins had practically no silver at all. This suggests that they were never manufactured for large scale trade with neighboring people.

It is doubtful any of the people of this time would have referred to a contemporary coin as a "sceat," "sceatta," or "styca." Most likely, they would have called it a penny.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Lovely coins and great write up. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    A second coin of Aethelred of Mercia:

This was found near Canterbury. This one has the legend facing the more common clockwise direction. These are the major two varieties of this type, although there are a few others that have the porcupine facing the opposite way.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting coins! image
  • Options
    Nice new coin, Nap. Is it yours? How does it look in hand?

Later this month, I'll be going to the Baltimore show. I suspect (fear perhaps) that I'll be invited to hang out with the Trade Dollars guys. I thought of this because I regret not having been more direct about meeting you at the NYINC show. I'd much rather discuss Anglo-Saxon hammered coins than Trade Dollars. image

EVP

• Options

<< <i>Nice new coin, Nap. Is it yours? How does it look in hand?

Later this month, I'll be going to the Baltimore show. I suspect (fear perhaps) that I'll be invited to hang out with the Trade Dollars guys. I thought of this because I regret not having been more direct about meeting you at the NYINC show. I'd much rather discuss Anglo-Saxon hammered coins than Trade Dollars. image

EVP >>

It's my coin. In hand the toning looks darker. The coin was cleaned after it was dug up, though inexpertly. It seems to still have some surface dirt and I've been contemplating giving it a distilled water soak, but I'm ok with its look for the moment. It's more worn than the 1st one I posted. It's interesting to compare this to the R.P. Mack coin, which I am fairly convinced is from the same dies, but an earlier die state. On the Mack coin (EMC 1020.0312), a "bump" or "hump" is present on the "porcupine's" back. On my coin (EMC 2014.0256) the die gave in and cracked and now there is a lump connecting the 2nd and 3rd spikes to the back. (For the US crowd, can you imagine trying to collect 1300 year old coins by die states, like with bust halves?)

It doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world to chat Trade Dollars. I'm the only anglophile in my local coin club, and I sometimes feel lost discussing Gardner and Pogue coins, but to paraphrase the fisherman's adage, a "bad" discussion about uninteresting coins still beats a good day at the office.

I'd drive down to Baltimore for the day if not for the fact that my wife is due shortly after that and she'll never forgive me if she goes into labor while I'm out of town for a coin show image
  • Options
    With my most recent new coin I completed a moneyer set of Aethelred I of Northumbria. Aethelred was a petty king of Northumbria from 774-779, and then again from 790-796. Historic sources are weak. He was probably a tyrant who authorized the assassinations of his political enemies until he lost the confidence of his subjects. It is believed that during his reign (~793) the Vikings attacked Lindisfarne and this ushered in the age of the Vikings. Aethelred was assassinated himself in 796. Aethelred produced a decent amount of coinage, of which several hundred examples have survived to this day. There are 5 moneyers known for Aethelred I: Ceolbald, Cutheard, Cuthgils, Hnifula, and Tidwulf.

Obv: +AEDILRED
    Rev: +CEOLBALD
    Ceolbald, the most common moneyer. After he struck coins for Aethelred I he likely went south from Northumbria to Mercia to strike coins for King Coenwulf. Probably more than 100 known.

Obv: AEDILRED R
    Rev: +CVDHEARD
    Cutheard was the only moneyer who continued to work in Northumbria after 800, he also struck coins for Kings Eardwulf, Aelfwald II, and Eanred. Probably less than 100 known.

Obv: ED+L.RED
    Rev: CVD CLS, triangular shrine in center of coin with cross above (need to re-image when I find my camera...)
    Very rare type, the famous collector of 100 years ago, Lord Grantley, thought that this was a coin of St. Cuthbert, but it is now known that it is of Cuthgils (or Cudcils?) the moneyer, who also struck coins for Aelfwald II. I've seen pictures of about a dozen examples. Probably less than 25 known.

Obv: +EDILRED
    Rev: +HNIFVLA
    Rarest moneyer, I can only trace 7 other examples. Probably less than 20 known.

Obv: +AEDILRED Π
    Rev: +TIDVVLF
    Rare moneyer, probably less than 50 known.

As rare as some of these are, there are other types of coins of Aethelred I which are even rarer! There is a type with a "fantastic animal" looking like a sick dragon-chicken on the reverse rather than a moneyer's name, this is extremely rare, probably less than 20 known. There is a type which was a joint issue with Aethelred's father Aethelwald, this is exceedingly rare with only 2 known. And there is a joint issue with Archbishop Eanbald, which is fairly rare with probably about less than 30 known. I don't own examples of these three types.

These coins, while crude and boring designs, still have the appeal of coinage of an ancient and mysterious time.
  • Options
    Congrats on your accomplishment. Your focus and erudition is commendable.

Regarding the meaning of CVD CLS, didn't we discuss this once before? Is the current interpretation conclusive? Saint Cuthbert certainly was important enough to the Northumbrians, and maybe A1 wanted to play up some public sentiment?

Btw, I'm totally guessing with zero research to back up anything I wrote above.

EVP

• Options

<< <i>Congrats on your accomplishment. Your focus and erudition is commendable.

Regarding the meaning of CVD CLS, didn't we discuss this once before? Is the current interpretation conclusive? Saint Cuthbert certainly was important enough to the Northumbrians, and maybe A1 wanted to play up some public sentiment?

Btw, I'm totally guessing with zero research to back up anything I wrote above.

EVP >>

Thanks!

The idea of CVDCLS representing St Cuthberht stems from Grantley's misreading of his coin in 1911. He thought it read 'SCT CVD'. There were only 2-3 known at the time.

The discovery of more specimens with clearer legends helped debunk that. The final nail that put he matter to rest was the discovery of coins of Aelfwald (II?) by the moneyer Cuthgils. One was sold by Andy Gillis Here. No shrine, just a regular styca here. Two known, I believe.

Whether the shrine design on otherwise featureless coins had any specific meaning, such as being struck under the auspices of a clergyman, has been lost to history. Presumably the idea for the shrine image itself was copied from contemporary Merovingian or early Carolingian coins.

• Options
    Thanks. That's fairly convincing. One more question: are these "good" silver, or debased?

For the viewership, here are sellers' pics of the two coins in question:

[Gillis]

[Nap's newp]

• Options
    Here's a better but still not great pic of the Cuthgils coin.

It's a fairly difficult coin to photograph. Areas of delamination give the coin a bent appearance in the high contrast photo (it's not bent) and give it a muddy appearance on my LED shots. The LED light gives it a blue tint, which it does not have; it's more of a dark steel.

While the design is exceedingly simple and could have been the artwork design of a 5 year old, I think this coin is probably copied from extant Merovingian coins, such as this tremissis or this denier of Pepin the Short.