Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Missed out on some of the few '71 Topps Greatest Moments cards I need

Man this is proving to be a tough set to complete. I've been down to needing 8 for awhile and 3 actually came up on eBay this week. Just ended now and prices were a little strong: $544 for Wilhelm in PSA 7, $274 for Perry in PSA 6 and $284 for Pinson in PSA 7. I think I was the underbidder for Perry and Pinson but was off by over $100 on Wilhelm.
Don't know if the winners are board members but the seller probably is as he mentioned having the #5 set on the registry. Oh, well, the wait continues.
Daniel

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough set. Good luck!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Did you ever contact the guy I sent you his info weeks ago? I never did hear from you.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    George - Thanks for the follow up. I checked my message history and found your message. It's very unlike me not to acknowledge a fellow collector (especially one looking to help). I must have read the mssg and forgotten about it. I did send an email to the guy from the NY show today. Will let you know if it turns anything up!
    Daniel
  • Options
    That set is incredibly awesome. Good luck with the hunt! Would love to see scans, especially the Yaz. Are you on the registry?
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭
    I was the under bidder on Carty and nowhere close on the Bench but I did pick up the Campaneris. I agree prices were higher than I was expecting.
    "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭
    This set is very hard. I had the #1 set for many years and the prices were very steep then. Wilhelm in a PSA 7 for $500 sounds about right. Pinson in a PSA 7 was going for $300 back in 2003. The toughest card in the set is the Pepitone in a PSA 7 or higher along with the Munson. Not sure if you have the Pepitione in a PSA 7 yet but I have the best PSA 7 that I have ever handled still in my collection. Almost perfect centering which is very rare on that card. I sold my PSA 8 that I had (which could not hold a candle to my PSA 7) for $3500 back along time ago.
    Good luck on your set BaltimoreYankee.

Shane
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I have not followed recent pricing on these because I put the set together a long time back. There has been some controversy over how or whether they were ever sold at retail. I have seen one empty box but although I have read that some people believe they have cards with what they think are gum stains on them, I have never seen an unopened pack, and have only seen this one wrapper that I was pleased to get in a recent auction. Some believe they were not sold at retail but stored and then later sold through dealers. If anyone has any solid info on all that I would appreciate it.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There has been some controversy over how or whether they were ever sold at retail. I have seen one empty box but although I have read that some people believe they have cards with what they think are gum stains on them >>

Here is a good article from the PSA site. I'm sure most of the 71 TGM collectors have seen this - it's a good read:

Text

Interesting that the fire at Card Collector's Company is mentioned in the article. I have seen raw cards with water damage.

I grew up in Brooklyn and one of the local stores would get Topps test material occasionally. I definitely remember buying a pack of 1974 Deckle Edge cards in 1974. I don't remember buying any TGM's in '71 (I would turn 9 that summer) but I have had 3 TGM cards in my collection for as long as I can remember. They could have possibly been purchased in a pack but I'm thinking not as two are beaters and one is in nice condition. More likely is that I picked them up at a show or shop in the late '70's.

There is a card listed on eBay (a PSA 6 ST). I asked the seller about the stain and he said it's a wax stain that he forgot to remove before submitting.

Edited to add: If these cards really were issued in packs in Brooklyn, you would think by now someone (or more) would have shared definite memories of them by now.
    Daniel
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Baltimore, I had seen that article. There are test wrappers like the 71 I have for other test issues, like the 68 3Ds, but I have never seen an unopened pack for them either
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    George - Thanks for the follow up. I checked my message history and found your message. It's very unlike me not to acknowledge a fellow collector (especially one looking to help). I must have read the mssg and forgotten about it. I did send an email to the guy from the NY show today. Will let you know if it turns anything up!

That's okay, I was just trying to help. I hope it works out for you. Nice set !