Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

VAM's heading.....................

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Are already encapsulated VAM's starting to suffer from the same fate as much of the Modern market, flooded and only a one way market??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭
    I don't know if I'd compare them to moderns, but the VAM market definitely isn't what it used to be.

I don't necessarily think this is due to the market being flooded. I attribute it more to lack of interest.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Others can better comment on pricing. Seems to be a narrow market for all but a few keys.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems many aren't too interested in varieties you need a micro scope to see.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High grade, popular, PCGS plastic, and rare is the recipe for record prices. Others have been settling for some time.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can find a lot of Vam's but you only need to look for some of them and they will pay there way.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The VAM market has matured. That combined with the general market chaos has had variable effects on VAMs.

First, it should not need to be pointed out time after time, but some lunkheads don't seem to get the fundamental point.: ALL Morgan and Peace dollars are VAMs. Yes, most of those varieties are far from interesting and many need to be louped to attribute. With very few exceptions, that class of VAMs does not and should not bear a market premium, except perhaps a modest one when attributed and to the collector specifically interested in that variety for set completion. Simply by putting "VAM" on a holder tag doesn't mean it's worth big money.

There are some included in the "lists" (like the Top 100) that are among those too, even though they have more readily apparent features to the unaided eye. The 1887 VAM-12A (Gator Eye - with clash, the unclashed prooflike is considerable more difficult to locate) is the typical example. The 1891-CC VAM-3 (Spitting Eagle) is another. The only premium one could argue for such coins is the cost to put the attribution on the tags for those who "need" that detail. One would half to be pretty ignorant of the market to bother sending MS63 specimens into PCGS for attribution in such cases, as it's not worth the cost.

The maturation arose from the sheer number of VAMs that have been identified, attributed, and collected along with the obvious buying and selling. We understand now what are worth a bit more, from scarce and really interesting die varieties to those that are legitimately rare. Discounting them would be like discounting the variable rarity of branch mint populations for any given date. There were knuckleheads into the 20th Century who still guffawed at collecting "inferior" branch mint issues as significant. (In fact, many of the important sets sold at auction in our lifetimes before the internet were often composed of Philadelphia issues exclusively or primarily, and preferentially proofs.)

Premiums should remain intact and grow for some VAMs, just as they have for other important varieties in other series, like in the Large Cents and Bust Halves. The ultrarare 1878 8TF VAMs are not ever going to see common greysheet again, even the ones that need to be louped. The Red Book listed VAMs obviously will join them. There are others as well. We could probably develop a reasonable list of those with solid premium growth potential as well as a DMZ of liners that could join or not, depending upon the demand/supply, or the perception there of. Any VAM that PCGS recognizes in the top two grades they've bestowed upon them should always have competitive homes, and thus premiums.

What Morgan and Peace dollars do have in common with Moderns is their sheer overall numbers. The HUGE differences are that Morgans are not some grades 68-70 monolith AND, relevant to this discussion, they have interesting members -- some VAMs -- among the commoners. The varieties, like the PR69 Silver Eagles, that can be commoditized gradewise in numbers useful for the home shopping cable shows, are the ones that have justifiably seen their premium collapse, if not evaporate.

Another thing to bear in mind is that, from the collector side, VAM collectors largely like the thrill of the hunt, to cherrypick. But like those of us who had Whitman albums for Lincoln Cents as kids, you sometimes have to capitulate and buy some keys for completion. Those keys transcend the basic collector and will find their way into big money cabinets. Once it is well understood that, for instance, some 1878 VAM=14.XY varieties (and other VAMs) are FAR rarer than the generic 1893-S or even 1895 proof, they will get the attention and the top end demand. Rarity cannot be changed, just hidden for a time. The registry sets stimulate that demand too. You're looking at the legitimately rarest die varieties of the arguably most collected series (for Morgans, that is) on earth. It is just in the maturation, and there will be bigtime winners and bigtime speculative losers. The Gator Eyes are like the 95, or even 72, DDO cents as their populations and understanding matured.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would agree with alefzero's take on the VAM situation. I would add that I witnessed similar happenings in the Jefferson and Lincoln series. When PCGS started attributing varieties there was a spike in
    interest that lasted for a number of years. Now it comes down to supply and demand and the demand has fallen off.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure, but the last two orders where I tried to have PCGS attribute VAMs for me, they came back unattributed despite the forms being clearly marked in several places... perhaps it makes it hard to have a strong market in these varieties if you can't get them attributed in the first place!!!

• Options
    What varieties were those and what were the assigned grades? I cannot imagine PCGS (Michael F) having a problem with or declining a valid attribution for any of the VAMs they currently do in reasonable grades to see such details.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    atta boy, zero, throw an insult in there to help make new friends here.image BTW, yes, every Morgan and Peace Dollar is a VAM. got any other insight to lend us??
  • Options
    That was directed to the microscope comment. That'[s heard not just on here too, generally from dealers who bitterly missed the boat on the real rarities or are just ignorant. Such VAMs have not been worth anything special (except to perhaps eBay predator promoters) except in the cases of the ultrararities. Yes, few are intersted in those you need a microscope to attribute -- and that has pretty much been the case for most collectors before too.

The change has been in some promoted varieties that just are not scarce. And in Jeff's defense on the Top 100, some of those were known then (in '89 or so) to be common, but a mix was in that set to make it approachable to new collectors. Hell, the spitting eagle is far and away the easiest '91-CC to locate.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to have to put it this way Al, but you won't prevail in a debate on VAMs with alefzero.

Sometimes when you stir the pot, you get to stew in it yourself. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Oh, and don't take the "knucklehead" term in my one reply personally. I did not until now notice you have "knicklehead" in your name here. That was not an intentional parallel reference. (Oh remember many of you guys from when I used to be on here all of the time years ago - until my login stopped working.) No disrespect to folks in the forum, but there's nothing wrong with respectful debate.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know if I'd compare them to moderns, but the VAM market definitely isn't what it used to be.

I don't necessarily think this is due to the market being flooded. I attribute it more to lack of interest. >>

And what better way for folks to "lose interest" than seeing them all over the place which doesn't really instill a feeling of "rarity" now does it?

Comparing these to the modern coin market is exactly correct as too much of anything quickly loses its luster.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I would agree with alefzero's take on the VAM situation. I would add that I witnessed similar happenings in the Jefferson and Lincoln series. When PCGS started attributing varieties there was a spike in
    interest that lasted for a number of years. Now it comes down to supply and demand and the demand has fallen off. >>

Not dead. Sales from earlier this year:

The 14.19 in PCGS AU58? Over $38,000 for a $75 dollar coin. The pre-sale estimate was in the 20's.
    Heritage Link

What did the last Micro O in PCGS MS64 go for? $50,000 smackers.
    Heritage Link
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I would agree with alefzero's take on the VAM situation. I would add that I witnessed similar happenings in the Jefferson and Lincoln series. When PCGS started attributing varieties there was a spike in
    interest that lasted for a number of years. Now it comes down to supply and demand and the demand has fallen off. >>

Not dead. Sales from earlier this year:

The 14.19 in PCGS AU58? Over $38,000 for a $75 dollar coin. The pre-sale estimate was in the 20's.
    Heritage Link

What did the last Micro O in PCGS MS64 go for? $50,000 smackers.
    Heritage Link >>

That $38,000 VAM was sold to a friend of mine who just happened to leave the brick and mortar shop only 10 minutes ago image . His name is Larry.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The change has been in some promoted varieties that just are not scarce. And in Jeff's defense on the Top 100, some of those were known then (in '89 or so) to be common, but a mix was in that set to make it approachable to new collectors. Hell, the spitting eagle is far and away the easiest '91-CC to locate. >>

I'd contend that the 91-CC VAM 3 is the easiest Morgan dollar variety to locate for the entire series. If someone were to bet me lunch at a decent sized show that I couldn't find a specific VAM of my choosing on the bourse floor within 10 minutes, I'd pick 1891-CC VAM 3 and probably win every time. This variety and other common ones on the popular lists are often referred to as "Gateway VAMs".
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>atta boy, zero, throw an insult in there to help make new friends here.image BTW, yes, every Morgan and Peace Dollar is a VAM. got any other insight to lend us?? >>

Take it easy. The post was a masterpiece!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file