Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1954 Canada nickel and 1945

Good afternoon-

Time for another grading question- How common is a 1954 Canadian Nickel should it get a CAM designation? How pronounced does the CAM need to be on the reverse to get the designation?

So, is this a coin worthy of submitting?

And I have a similar question for a 1945 Nickel- what if it can go 66 or 67? Worth doing?

Any thoughts are welcome- I am curious what our Canadian collectors here (and others) may think-

Thanks

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭
    1945 5 cents were chrome plated steel and I've never heard of one of those going to 65 or 66, let alone if you meant cameo as well. There were (I think) SP coins struck in '45 and those would be worth TPG, even if 63. 1954 started the proof-like sets by the RCM .. I don't know if they struck any cameo, but early strikes of the proof-like dies (really unc) may look somewhat like cameos. I'm a large cent guy, not a nickel guy so I could be off-base.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1945 is just an amazing coin- no cameo

The 1954 nice Cameo Portrait with the reverse being less so- still not sure if it would be enough to get the designation

• Options
    DBMDBM Posts: 27 ✭✭
    1945 5¢ are abundant in MS66, unless it`s a shoe-in for 67 it`s barely worth submission to our hosts.
    1954 cameos are harder to come by than MS66 1945s but still not likely to be worth the price of a PCGS slab.
    Pics would help to asess the cameo.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    check your 1954.
    maybe it is your lucky day and it is a No Shoulderfold!
    it could then be worth many thousands....
    according to ICCS, only 4 have been certified.
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭✭
    'Kat - another thing to consider is PCGS will not designate CAM or DCAM on MS and PL Canadian issues. But NGC and ANACS will. I believe PCGS is ignoring this part of the market making it very difficult to sell a CAM or DCAM piece.

Regarding the 1945 - I agree with DBM, this date and the 1944 chrome plated "V" nickels are very common in MS66 but tough in 67. I have not an example with a cameo contrast. Cat value for either date is about $200CAD in 66.

The 1954 is readily available with some degree of CAM. I've only seen one piece that looked DCAM. I have a PL64 with light obv CAM with none on the rev.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the commentary- always important to appreciate what folks are thinking