Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

France Gold Louis d'Or, Louis XVI, 1786

Got this little item instead of a US gold Kennedy half dollar:

France Gold Louis d'Or 1786 - Louis XVI (Actually a double Louis d'Or)

Obverse:
LUD XVI D.G. FR ET NAV REX
Ludovicus XVI, Dei Gratia, Franciae et Navarrae Rex
(Louis XVI By the Grace of God, King of France and Navarre)
DUVIV (Engraver B. Duvivier) at base of head
Mint privy mark of heron below
Navarre was a kingdom split between Spain and France at the time.

Reverse:
CHRS REGN VINC IMPER 1786
Christus regnat, vincit, imperat
(Christ reigns, conquers, governs)
A (Paris Mint mark)
Mint privy mark of lyre after "IMPER"

Gold, 0.451oz, 15.24gm, 0.9167 fine, 28mm
Slightly smaller and lighter than a United States $10 Eagle.
From Heritage Auctions, graded AU with scratches, I was the only bidder.

"Louises" are mentioned in Robert Louis Stevenson's famous 1883 novel Treasure Island
as being found in a pirate treasure chest.

One can look up Louis XVI, he died young and rather suddenly.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies
Coins on Television

Comments

• Options
    certainly a much more interesting piece than a gold kennedy half dollar!

this is the Louis that got beheaded during the French Revolution, good stuff
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Way more interesting, although I have to say JFK was more handsome image. But who cares about that. When choosing between an ultra-modern bullion product or a 1786 French gold piece, the choice is clear. WELL DONE WILLIE!

Plaster this all over the lightside let them see what they're missing.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. I've always admired the gold Louis' d'or (hmm... sounds like Louis Lamour).

I've never had any pre-Revolutionary French gold, with the exception of a 16th century hammered ecu d'or.

And I TOTALLY approve of that choice instead of some silly gold Kennedy half dollar thing.

I don't know what it is about Americans. We're not the most original or innovative people around, at least when it comes to coin designs. Look at all the recycled classic designs being reused: St. Gaudens' Liberty on bullion coins, ditto Weinman's Walking Liberty, a rehash of the Buffalo nickel in gold (more than once)... and now the Kennedy half? Sheesh.

Great choice, great coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    There is a great book called "The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris" by David McCullough that explores how many leaders in their fields came from America to study in Paris during the 19th century. St. Gaudens was one who had a studio. Fascinating book and makes a lot of sense when you consider that in terms of advanced learning the country was still getting on its feet with only a few institutions that were more than 100 years old and new colleges and universities springing up everywhere.

I have no desire to get involved with French coins, but a coin like this makes me want to add a d'Or to my collection.