Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Just heard back on an offer I made, and now I'm furius...

... L. Furius Brocchus, that is. image

Had my eye on a Mint State Republican denarius, but the toning, design, and price tag on this one were more appealing to me. It's pretty well centered, too.

<< <i>ROMAN REPUBLIC L FURIUS BROCCHUS DENARIUS. 63 BC EX-CHILTREN COLLECTION
Obverse:III VIR BROCCHI: Bust of Ceres right, between wheat-ear and barley corn .
Reverse:L FVRI C N F: Curule hair between fasces .
Mint: Rome Minted: 68 BC
Dia: 18 mm Wt: 3.79 gm Orient: 12/6
Ref: Syd 902, Cr414/1 >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice looking piece agree!
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

• << <i>Curule hair between fasces >>

I think it might actually be a chair image

nice Republic piece, light multicolored toning all over really adds to it image
    =Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award 4/28/2014=
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. I love nice Republic silver.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • It's a beauty! I've got my eye on a bunch of Roman Republicans and hope to be adding many soon image
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm furius >>

Calm down!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Dang.. Nice..
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was looking at that one as well. My hesitation was the "stuff" going on under her nose.

Beautiful coin, regardless.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I didn't even notice the "stuff under her nose" until astrorat pointed it out. Considering the age of the coin, and the beautiful toning, I can overlook some "stuff."

I don't know what that other coin looks like but IMO you made the right choice imageimage
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, Ceres does have a little booger hangin'. But I still think she's gorgeous.

(Bronzemat has another example of a nice "booger" coin he can post later.)

There you have it. Others who post their ancient coins do nice writeups that speak of the coins' history... their artistry... their allegorical symbolism.

I discuss imaginary boogers. image

PS- I was (and am) operating under the assumption that the "booger" is an engraving anomaly of some kind, and not any sort of foreign debris (or actual petrified 2,000 year old booger).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep, Ceres does have a little booger hangin'. But I still think she's gorgeous.

(Bronzemat has another example of a nice "booger" coin he can post later.)

There you have it. Others who post their ancient coins do nice writeups that speak of the coins' history... their artistry... their allegorical symbolism.

I discuss imaginary boogers. image

PS- I was (and am) operating under the assumption that the "booger" is an engraving anomaly of some kind, and not any sort of foreign debris (or actual petrified 2,000 year old booger). >>

Perhaps it's a die chip? Regardless, the coin is nice and the toning superb!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
    Yes, die chip was my thought. Or some kind of tool slippage when it was engraved, maybe?

I'll have to look for other examples.

Just noticed that in addition to the "curule hair" typo, the seller listed two different dates in his title and description.

• nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    SUPER NICE LM!
  • PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! The toning is especially appealing.
    I wonder what's going on underneath the curule chair on the reverse. Do you see some kind of "ghosting" in the fields? Could this have been overstruck on an earlier coin, perhaps?

• LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    If it's part of the maker's final design (die chip) then it should definitely be ignored when counting the "flaws" of the coin. I mean it's not like someone was handling the coin in recent times and scratched it. If the booger isn't the result of handling or circulation (bag marks) then it must be considered a design element IMO.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Anybody else see what I'm talking about, on the reverse? Looks like ghost traces of an undertype, as though this coin were overstruck on another.

Or maybe I'm crazy.

• << <i>Anybody else see what I'm talking about, on the reverse? Looks like ghost traces of an undertype, as though this coin were overstruck on another.

Or maybe I'm crazy. >>

I see it
    This coin has arrived.

In hand, the reverse is a tiny bit overbright/shiny, but not too bad. The obverse toning is even more striking than in the photos.

Overall, a very lovely piece I'm glad to have.

I'll be launching my permanent thread about it momentarily, so forgive me if the multiple posts seem redundant. The other thread will be to link up with my Box of 20 index thread.

Back from NGC. Thanks to NiceCurrency for letting me piggyback it onto his last submission, since I only had this one to go, this time.

Grade's about what I expected. I figured it would go VF. Nice to see it did well on the Strike and Surface ratings.

• nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I still really like this coin. I really like the images with the grading too. Well done, LM, well done.
  • I took these images for you way back when I had the coin raw in hand before submitting, really shows off how colorful this coin is:

Ah, yes. Thank you!

Your pictures did make the colors pop, though the angle of the lighting and relief on the coin sort of put the face in shadow. Tricky coin to capture.

• yea my setup is far from professional, the camera is nice but attached to the camera stand I couldn't get the color, I had to shoot that freehand still as a statue at an angle to get the color to show up image
    Tricky!

Thanks again for the effort. Came out quite well for a freehand shot, I must say.

I do sorta think your reverse shot is a bit more accurate than the CNG photo, which is saying something.

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LM, I'm curious if you have any new thoughts on what does indeed look a bit like an overstrike on the reverse ?
    That would be pretty cool....was that a known practice back then ?
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great looking republican!
    WTG LM..

<< <i>LM, I'm curious if you have any new thoughts on what does indeed look a bit like an overstrike on the reverse ?
    That would be pretty cool....was that a known practice back then ? >>

No new or intelligent thoughts on that, but I'd welcome anyone else's!

Certainly they did overstrike coins in that era. I believe that is one of the things besides hoard data which has helped scholars with dating some Greek issues.

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>LM, I'm curious if you have any new thoughts on what does indeed look a bit like an overstrike on the reverse ?
    That would be pretty cool....was that a known practice back then ? >>

No new or intelligent thoughts on that, but I'd welcome anyone else's!

Certainly they did overstrike coins in that era. I believe that is one of the things besides hoard data which has helped scholars with dating some Greek issues. >>

That will be a fun thing to look into, maybe during some cold winter spell when you feel like doing a little extra research image
    Nicecurrencys images in particular seem to show a whole lot more going on there than just a stray mark or lump. I know nada about ancients of course, but I suppose
    one place to start is with any other coins that might be prime suspects in terms of being around at the same time, maybe some coinage from a conquered enemy ?
    Yeah, there's definitely something going on there.

Maybe I should post both sets of images on FORVM and see what the experts there think. Update- I posted it over there.

If overstruck, I guess it would almost certainly be over another Republican denarius issue?

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool coin, Rob! image