Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1981 Topps Vending Box breaks after that 1984

Just a 1984 Topps vending box but I have never seen any year vending box having such centered cards. Was there a vast difference within Topps's print/cut processes that occurred for vending after 1983, as all previous vending is horrendous.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I think 85 is a bear too. So not sure if there was an improvement. I've seen Grote rip a gorgeous 81 vending, and I think it was Nikklis that had a great box of 80 vending from the March case. I have boxes from bothe cases so I'm hoping for equal results, but I think it's all luck of the draw.

Nice rip BTW.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Not trying to sound flippant but I think the law of averages says that a vending box from any year could
    contain well centered cards.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not trying to sound flippant but I think the law of averages says that a vending box from any year could
    contain well centered cards. >>

I think AZ busted an 82 FB vending box in the past few weeks and was just happy to see centered cards after busting this one.

I have busted five 84 vending boxes in the past month and would agree that 84 seems to be a very well centered year. Unlike your 82 FB box, I had some that were significantly O/C but it never became a problem.
    flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Luck of the draw. I have had awful 85 and 86 as well.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    The other side if it

I DIDN'T Get a Mattingly in this one !!

flcardtrader. it really was supposed to be called 'In The Garden of Eden' The dude really was passed out in the morning and mumbling IN-A GADDA DA VIDA
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Luck of the draw. I have had awful 85 and 86 as well. >>

Is there such a thing as any well centered 86 card?

All joking aside I believe those cards are supposed to be off center left/right. It is the only explanation for why 99% of them are that way.
  • Options
    Next one and there better be a Mattingly image
    If anyone here is building or looking to upgrade their set of these let me know if you want some of the commons. All cards were very well centered and that is still freaking me out.

• Options
    Box 2 0f 4 was not as centered but did yield a couple Mattingly's image

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't all vending boxes from BBCE from a sealed case? I thought Steve didn't wrap vending that didn't come from a sealed case.
    Mike
  • Options
    I think so. I think I heard the BBCE won't buy vending at all unless it's from sealed cases. Probably a very smart move as these things would be fairly easy to fix back up lookin' like they weren't searched.
  • Options
    A PSA 10 Mattingly can be had for about $100.

But if you're wanting several stacks of worthless 84 Topps commons along with a NM-MT Mattingly or two, definitely buy a few vending boxes instead.
  • Options
    image One PSA 10 Mattingly would pay for these for boxes then. Goodwill always gets all the commons. They can sell for a few bucks and make somebody happy.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image One PSA 10 Mattingly would pay for these for boxes then. Goodwill always gets all the commons. They can sell for a few bucks and make somebody happy. >>

I'm surprised Goodwill still takes commons. Locally they stopped accepting them.
    Mike
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put them on the grill again. That was awesome.

• Options
    The Goodwill here takes the commons. Why would Goodwill not take them ? Lots of a 1000 or whatever gotta sell for a few bucks for the non SME's there.

Put them on the grill again Yes? ]image

Third box
  • Options
    Last box. May try this again with 1985. It actually was fun as you can just thumb through the cards and pull out the stars with no worry on 'low pop' stuff. 1986 has that every other invert thing going on so no chance even opening that. And previous to 1984 the horror of off center vending bummer exists. This was indeed fun. image

Grading some of this ?
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    One of my favorite designs, but I wish they could have had sharper photos. Some of these are just plain blurry.
  • Options

<< <i>One of my favorite designs, but I wish they could have had sharper photos. Some of these are just plain blurry. >>

It's a great design. Takes me back...this set was the first one I really loved.
  • Options
    This could now be gory:

• Options
  • Options
    I am being paid back for being a TOOL on this message board every now and then. The card gods are hitting me hard. I vow to not negatively comment on anyone else's stuff anymore. Time to be normal and nice. I know I know. I even sent one guy an apology already.

First 1981 vending box featuring The Off Center Stars

All the box was off center but did at least have this many acceptable cards

• Options
    Not sure box 2 will be opened image