Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

2001 britannia's graded by PCGS.

Recently came across Two 100# british britannia bullion coins both graded ms67 by our hosts.
As I understand the composition of these is approx. .91% gold and .09 copper (22 carat)
The coins are also designated on the holders as being the 164th and 166th graded.
Do the grades add any significant value to the coins or is this something that
a seller might do to pick up few extra bucks when offering to the public.

Comments

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Just FYI: From 1987 - 1989, the alloy on the 22K Britannia gold is copper. From 1990 onwards, it was changed to silver to give the Britannia gold a more yellow look.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do the grades add any significant value to the coins ... >>

You must be asking because these are bullion, yes? Of course the grade of any coin is significant in determining its value, but these are bullion not coins. So therefore I say no, the grade doesn't add any value. With bullion it usually takes away value. What I mean is, typically, the 70's and 69's are the only value-adding grades. When you have a 67 bullion, it's basically like saying "BV" or bullion value no grade. So no the grade does not add any value.

As to why a dealer would have these graded, you mentioned something eluding to a "first strike" classification. That is probably the reason. That may add value in some eyes. Eye of the beholder. In my eyes, no value added. Again, because these are bullion not coins.

Best regards! image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE